Author Topic: AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH Secretary of State (or for your state "The DMV")  (Read 6534 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Last October bought a really nice, hardly used, mint condition 1987 Starcraft Nova pop-up camper from a lady off Cragislist.

She had never licenced, registered or titled it.  Just hooked it up to the back of the Suburban and went camping when the mood hit.  Did it several times a summer all over Northern Illiois and most of Wisconsin.  Never stopped by the police, never questioned.  Nothing.

She had bought it used from her brother's, sister-in-law's, second cousin, thrice removed, bowling team captain's, bartender's friend when they lived in Wisconsin in the early to mid 90's.  No paperwork (title, registration, bill of sale, picture of them rubbing cheeseheads together to seal the deal) was done.  

So I get her to fill out a bill of sale.  From her to me.  Says she can legally sell it and that I now own it.

Secretary of State's Office (Illlinois's DMV and Kickback Central when George Ryan was SOS, then Governor. He's redecorating and making room for his new roomie, Blago ) doesn't like the way it's worded.

So I go back to the lady with a reworded BOS.  She signs again.

Back to the SOS office.  Still don't like the wording, so I ask "Can you tell me what it should say, so we can get this done ??  I'm trying to do the right thing.  I'm not asking for a break.  Charge me whatever it costs to re-do title and registration.  I'm trying to follow the law and do what is right here.  I've got proof of insurance."  (Yes, I added it to my USAA Policy, I'll tell that story later.)   Nope, she/they can't help me.  :police:

Finally as I'm walking out, one of the ladies slips from behind the counter, stops me, takes the folder with all the paperwork in it.  Crosses out this, and writes in that, gives me a smile and a wink.

Back to the seller with a re-written BOS.  She signs again and asks how many more times will she have to sell the same trailer to me.  ;/   I assure that this will be the last, because if it don't work this time, Juan, Jesus, Julio and the rest of the boys may just have the trailer plates on their lawmower hauler "fall off".  :angel:

Back into wait in line again at the SOS office.  Wink and smile lady is not there.  Crap.  I'm willing to let others go in front as I wanted to go straight to her, knowing that she knew, that I knew, that she knew, that I knew.   Get an older gentlemen and hand him my properly filled out 27-B-6 form, proof of insurance, and Bill of Sale.  He barely glances at the top of the sheet that says "BILL OF SALE", turns and makes a copy and hands me the original back with the copy is quickly slipped beneath the 27-B-6 form and stapled to it. (Where it will, most likely, never see the light of day ever again.  :'()  Writes $109.00 in the payment box, hits the form with Illinois SOS Office logo stamp, then the date/time stamp, then points me toward the line for the cashier.  

My checking account $109 lighter, I walk out with a trailer plate, a 2010 sticker, a registration, and an overwhelming urge to drink, excessively.   But this will have to do for now.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:06:30 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

PTK

• friends
That story had a better ending than many nightmare stories I've heard that hold a striking similarity. Governmental regulations are like that.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
Wow all that and you got what you needed only on the third try?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Here in Oklahoma we have "Tag Agents" that are independent contractors for tyhe Oklahoma tax Commission.
One of the joys of living in a small town.
The last week of June I had to get my Dl renewed, renew the tags for my Harley and my canoe.
I was the only one at the counter, and it still took almost half an hour. of course if the agent and I hadn't spent 25 minutes talking about the weather, gardens, mutual freinds and family it would have gone a bit quicker.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
The vehicle: A 1982 Honda CB750 Motorcycle
The place:   Lafayette, Indiana

Documents required: bill of sale, police vin check, microfilm record search of vehicle records at Indianapolis ($100 and two months!  =|)

Total DMV trips: 4.
Total Time: 3 months.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Sounds like my dealing with the Secretary of State here in MI in the early days of my driving (1996).  In 2000 a new SoS was elected (Terri Lynn Land) and it's a whole new game.  I honestly don't think I've ever had to spend more than 20 minutes at a time in an SoS office in the last 10 years.  Express lanes have been put in for routine things.  There's a "triage" like station that makes sure you have all your paperwork right before you spend 15 minutes waiting for an actual clerk.

And when there's a budget crisis she's quick to point out she's got ideas that'll save money without reducing services if they'd just let her.

I'd love to see her make a flat run for governor in 4-8 years.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
You have to have tags on a canoe???

Scout26

• friend
Just about everywater craft ('cept inflatables) have to be registered in most states.

Yes, it's all about Mo' Money,  Mo' Money,  Mo' Money.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Less than $109 would have paid for non-expiring plates for that trailer in MT  ;/

The only thing we have that needs plates renewed is our 2006 Chevy.  Everything else - pickup, suburban, and a few trailers - has permanent plates.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Scout26, you do know that it took me about 15 minutes to get my CCW permit recently, right? ;)

In all fairness to bureaucrats everywhere, it took me three trips to get my drivers license, though. Can't have 100% efficiency. How would that look?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Just about everywater craft ('cept inflatables) have to be registered in most states.

Ah..  only necessary if it is motorized or a sailboat over 12' in MT.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
permanent trailer tags are good!  i have three sets of tags 7 trailers
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
Gotta control those excess emissions. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Just out of curiosity for next time is there a "home built trailer" or similar option?  :angel:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend

When did that happen? I thought it was only watercraft with engines (motors).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas

Actually, when I was in high school back in 19mumblemumble, I was out paddling my inflatable raft on Hargus Lake in Ohio.  Park Ranger Fife towed me to shore and wrote me up.  Hadda go to court.

The judge appeared to think Ranger Fife had overreacted just a tad and let me go as long as I kept my nose clean and got my raft registered.  Yep, hadda paint the numbers on it just like a real sea-faring craft.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Kingcreek

• friend
Ill-annoy Sec of State is a real pain in the u-know-what. I've had major headaches with title problems and mistakes they made in Springfield. The worst experience was 2 years when my wife had a hit-and-run in the parking lot right in front of the sec of state's office and they would not help or privide any information on the only customer to leave while she was there! $960 out of pocket on a classic and collectable sports car!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Scout26

• friend
$95 for the title and $14 for the plates.  No option for permanent plates/homebuilt trailer.

Doggy Daddy,
I stand corrected on the "inflatables" part.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:22:02 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
The judge appeared to think Ranger Fife had overreacted just a tad and let me go as long as I kept my nose clean and got my raft registered.  Yep, hadda paint the numbers on it just like a real sea-faring craft.

Wish I'd gotten a pic of the guy on Lake Meridian, puttering along in a 8'x4'x4' shipping crate with a swivel chair and a trolling motor, reg number on the side in house numbers.  Looked to have at least 8 lines out, and a fair sized cooler already full of panfish.

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Yup, cost me $8 for 3 years.

And to make the whole boat thing even more lucrative for the state, Oklahoma tags boats, and motors over 9.9 hp seperately.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I have no comment.  I'm just happy to see someone use "thrice" on APS. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

zahc

• friend
Gotta control those excess emissions. 
I thought it went to pay for the roads...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• friend
I have no comment.  I'm just happy to see someone use "thrice" on APS. =D

I brushed and flossed twice today also !!!    =D =D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.