Author Topic: Good Truck Shocks?  (Read 1067 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Good Truck Shocks?
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »
Lets say you really like Bilstein truck shocks, but oddly, they don't make them for your 08 F250 in 2WD. If you couldn't get the Bilsteins, what would you get as a high quality gas shock? Unless Ranchos have turned around in the quality dept in the last few years, they're off the table.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Good Truck Shocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I was about to suggest Monroes, but they are made by the same company that owns Rancho (Tenneco), so if you won't consider Rancho you probably won't consider Monroe.

In which case, get the heaviest-duty shock Gabriel makes and drive it like you stole it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
I've always been really happy with Sears heavy duty SteadyRiders.  (do they make those anymore?)  I think they were made by Gabriel.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
so if you won't consider Rancho you probably won't consider Monroe.

In which case, get the heaviest-duty shock Gabriel makes and drive it like you stole it.

Well, I'd consider Ranchos or Monroes if they (mostly Ranchos) don't have the build quality issues they seemed to have several years ago. When I replaced the shocks on my Trooper, I was going to originally go with Rancho 5000s because I had heard such good things about them in the past. When I did some research though, there were a lot of complaints about their quality having gone downhill.

I was then recommended Bilsteins, and all I can say is they are simply the best shocks ever. Worth every penny of their higher than average price. I'm just bummed they don't make them for my truck (though they appear to make them for the 4WD version).

Has anyone ever heard of or used KYB? I'm seeing them pop up a lot on online searches for shocks that fit my truck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Will the 4wd part number work in your rig at all? A pretty popular thing with FJ Cruisers is taking the Bilsteins from the upgraded 4wd model and sticking them into the 2wd SUV.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
Will the 4wd part number work in your rig at all? A pretty popular thing with FJ Cruisers is taking the Bilsteins from the upgraded 4wd model and sticking them into the 2wd SUV.

That's what I had originally hoped, but from what I've seen, then answer is no. I should actually just call or email BilsteinUSA to verify before I give up though.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of or used KYB? I'm seeing them pop up a lot on online searches for shocks that fit my truck.

Yep. On my brother's recommendation I put KYBs on my Jeep Cherokee.

HATED them. I took them off within less than a month and replaced them with Monroes -- which lasted more than 10 years and over 100,000 miles. The KYBs were brutal over small bumps and pavement cracks, and no better than the Monroes at controlling large bumps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design