Author Topic: Fed workers to be urged to commute, travel less  (Read 5742 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Fed workers to be urged to commute, travel less
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
If President Obama wants the government to save fuel, I suggest he stay in Washington DC for awhile.  There are 2 things I wonder about.  What is President Obama's "carbon footprint", and who pays for his trips to raising money and making speeches in Democrats candidates districts.

Fed workers to be urged to commute, travel less
By ERICA WERNER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama wants federal workers to cut down on business travel and commuting by car as he seeks to reduce heat-trapping emissions produced by the federal government.
The White House was announcing Tuesday that the government will aim to reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions from indirect sources like employee driving by 13 percent in 2020, compared with 2008 levels.

Earlier this year Obama directed agencies to reduce pollution from direct sources, such as buildings and government fleets, by 28 percent in the next decade.

The federal government is the largest energy consumer in the U.S. economy, and the combined reductions would be the equivalent of removing emissions from 235 million barrels of oil, the White House said.

Employee travel and commuting account for the biggest category of what the White House calls indirect sources of pollution, so the main way to limit them will be encouraging employees to travel less for business and to use mass transit for their commutes. Other sources of indirect pollution are waste disposal and energy that is lost through inefficient electricity transmission.

The announcement allows Obama to show some forward movement on cutting greenhouse gases even as the Senate prepares to take up energy legislation without the broad, economy-wide greenhouse gas emission caps Obama hoped for.

In a statement, Obama noted that the government is the biggest energy user. "The government has a responsibility to use that energy wisely, to reduce consumption, improve efficiency, use renewable energy, like wind and solar, and cut costs," he said.

taurusowner

Re: Fed workers to be urged to commute, travel less
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
Isn't one of the privileges of being a Party apparatchik supposed to be that you can drive an automobile?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
The federal government is the largest energy consumer in the U.S. economy
Another sign that government is way too big nowadays.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
If President Obama wants the government to save fuel, I suggest he stay in Washington DC for awhile.  
He can do an awful lot of damage in D.C. . . .

President Barack Obama wants federal workers to cut down on business travel and commuting by car as he seeks to reduce heat-trapping emissions produced by the federal government.
A 747 like Air Force 1 burns something like 10 tons an hour of fossil fuels, he always travels with a huge entourage and - when on the ground - in a long motorcade. He's taken at least 7 vacations so far (in 18 months!) and is flying all over the place to raise funds for democRATS . . . And now he wants OTHERS to cut THEIR emissions?

He's probably never heard the phrase "Leading by example."

What an arrogant, hypocritical, pompous ass . . .

(At least Jimmy Carter made a point of wearing a sweater when he turned down the thermostats at the White House.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:05:15 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
The goal is to keep the serfs in the dense urban compounds while the Feds preserve the wilderness for their plutocrat's hunting hiking parties.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:23:53 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
my backyard compost/manure pile also generates more heat than light
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
The White House was announcing Tuesday that the government will aim to reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions from indirect sources like employee driving by 13 percent in 2020, compared with 2008 levels.
Employee travel and commuting account for the biggest category of what the White House calls indirect sources of pollution,

How the heck is that an 'indirect' source of pollution?  Cars burn fuel, expel pollution. 

I really get mad over the nonsense and illogic in the green movement.  My commute is only an 'indirect' cause of pollution.  My car is green because it pollutes less... even tho its creation costs 8 times as much pollution as the creation and running of a non-green vehicle.

It really seems like the real agenda is to only limit big bad business and instill general guilt in the masses.  I love the photo spreads of environmentalist crusader celebrities and their homes + carbon footprints.  [barf]
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
Not to mention that isn't Airforce 1 usually followed by a C-130 with the presidential limo in it or some other heavy lift aircraft? It probably doesnt burn as much fuel as the jet, but I doubt its cheap either.
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Not to mention that isn't Airforce 1 usually followed by a C-130 with the presidential limo in it or some other heavy lift aircraft? It probably doesnt burn as much fuel as the jet, but I doubt its cheap either.

Actually the secret service stuff is usually prepositioned.  And IIRC that is a(t least 1) C5 which probably burns more fuel than AF1.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
Airforce 1 only has that call sign when POTUS is on it.

A duplicate 747 usually follows nearby as a backup aircraft - it's not Airforce 1 unless POTUS has to use it, so it doesn't get much attention.

But it's there.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
Between the president's vehicles and planes, and the speaker's private jet liner, Obama and Pelosi probably use as much energy as the entire state of Vermont each year.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
What was the carbon footprint of the failed Obama expedition for the Chicago Olympics?

There was no way the IOC would have gone for a chicago venue the same year as a presidential election.
Their graft syphon would have been investigated.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

P5 Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
Do not do as I do, do as I say
And as far as that goes the Fed workers can all stay home, forget the commute/travel stuff. We will all be better off.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
Airforce 1 only has that call sign when POTUS is on it.
Correct.

Time for the bonus round. What is the call sign of a civilian aircraft when the POTUS is aboard?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
ACORN One?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
Slow reply, but, wrong!

Executive One.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:29 PM »
How about we get each .gov bureaucrat to hold their breath for 20 consecutive minutes each day.  That will help cut down the .gov carbon footprint.

>:D >:D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
Slow reply, but, wrong!

Executive One.

Buzz! Wrong!
Pompus One.....

>:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
Doesn't Air Force One usually also have a media jet following behind?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
Doesn't Air Force One usually also have a media jet following behind?

I think these days it's a C-130 to carry the egos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."