Author Topic: Motorcycle crash  (Read 2581 times)

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »
Here's the story:  A girl is riding her motorcycle.  She's also testing out her new video cam and recorder while riding.

A guy in a Honda car overbrakes, and swerves to the right but never corrects.  Of course he later lies to the cop that it was the girl's fault but she's got it on video.

anyway, go here:  http://www.socalsportbikes.info/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=34948

and save one of the lnks to disk.

you can read the thread, too.

Comments?
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

cosine

• Administrator
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Be forewarned, some of the videos look to be big files. (about 19 megs)
Andy

Stand_watie

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:05:40 PM »
I'll bet she was glad for her leathers.

Of all the good natured bashing we do of SoCal, it looks like people are just as helpful there as anywhere else I've been.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »
Cool stuff. I often wonder, when I see twisted tire tracks headed off the side of the road, how some idiots find it even remotely possible to do that. He was probably adjusting the radio or something and got surprised by the car ahead. He then paniced and locked em up, not knowing if he just let up off the brake the car would stop coming around. Never drove in snow I'll bet. Cheesy

Glad she came out ok, that looked pretty bad. Then he tries to blame her. What an asshat.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

griz

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 04:52:43 AM »
OUCH!  It hurts just watching that.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 05:34:32 AM »
Freaking witless cagers.  THEN attempting to lie about what happened.  

I'm still reading the orginal thread, sounds like she did the right thing when the crash happened.
I kinda flew over the downed vehicles. Look at where I landed. If I had just fallen over to the side, I would have been squished by cager, or at least stayed by my bike.

Instead of jumping - I braked hard one last time to scrub as much speed down right before impact. Then when impact started - I let go of the handlebars, tucked up my legs and tucked in my arms - relaxed everything and just prepared for the ejection. This is why my tankbag came with me - I basically tucked into a ball around the bag. Letting go of the handlebars so I wouldn't suffer injuries to my wrist, thumb, arms from head-on impact - and tucking up my legs to pull them away from danger of getting squished by cars. Relaxing for the ejection, because being relaxed will suffer a lot less damage than if you tense up
Bad on the CHP Officer that wanted her to get up &  walk off the freeway, then pulling an attitude on the women present objecting.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 06:21:39 AM »
BTW, the lady is a racer;

http://www.smoothcurvesracing.com/

click on her tiger striped bike
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

InfidelSerf

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:05:34 AM »
I'm glad to see she admitted that it was an avoidable accident.  
While the Honda was at fault for locking up and spinning out.
She could have avoided the accident.  
She had a lapse of concentration otherwise she could have stood that R1 on its front end and saved a head over heels launch.
I've been there done that many times.  And in hindsight I am sure she is replaying what she did wrong.

That being said he's a schmuck for trying to lie about it... did he think the other people around them wouldn't see it?

Before I get flames for "accusing" her of wrong doing.  I am a 16yr sportbike vetern.. my personal belief is that 99% of all motorcycle accidents are ultimately the motorcyclists fault.  i.e. it could have been prevented with more concentration and sharper skills.  PERIOD

That does not mean that 99% of all accidents involving a motorcyclist are LEGALLY their fault.  Just the reality of being a rider.
If you are not scanning and anticipating every possible scenario.. then you are at fault for allowing it to happen.

Kudos to her for wearing full leathers.  She is obviously a skilled rider and smart one for pursuing track training.  (And cute too Smiley )

The video is great for proving she was not legally at fault.. however its also proof to herself that she COULD have prevented the accident with quicker braking reflexes... I'll bet she will be practicing on her track bike after this.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

280plus

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Did you scroll all the way through and catch the pix of her other crash? Apprently she's an experiencd crasher...

Cheesy

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 02:02:49 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Did you scroll all the way through and catch the pix of her other crash? Apprently she's an experiencd crasher...

Cheesy
Bzzzt!  That was just a replay of the same crash at the end.  But yes, she has crashed at the track at speed.

a report here:  http://www.smoothcurvesracing.com/Oct52004CrashReport.php

Hey, if she can do 1:28 and change at Willow, on a 600, she can ride.  Willow is spooky windy in the afternoons.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

280plus

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »
no,no I MEANT the track crash that was at her site...She took quite the tumble!

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 02:13:26 PM »
This has been in discussion at various bike forums for awhile. I personally dont think the Honda was avoiding anything (there isnt anything to avoid), also notice that his wheels are turned full to the right for the duration of the clip, which means he never even attempted to avoid the skid. I think he was pulling some dumbass stunt he saw in a movie and it didnt go the way he expected.

As far as the CHP officer is concerned this is a pretty normal experience for riders. I have two friends who have been given "to fast for conditions" tickets, one while he was in an ambulance and the other while he was semi-conscious on the side of the road, both accidents were a result of dangerous road hazards (gravel on the roadway, steel plates). It is SOP in many jurisdictions that single vehicle motorcycle accidents always get a citation regardless of conditions.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
no,no I MEANT the track crash that was at her site...She took quite the tumble!
Ooops, sorry.  I didn't know there was a video of the track crash you gotta link?

BTW, I really like this picture on Palomar mountain:

http://www.smoothcurvesracing.com/images/img_2903-KhephriPalomar_large.jpg

I do miss riding out there.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

280plus

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:48:30 PM »
http://www.smoothcurvesracing.com/home.php

scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to "My Crash". Not a video but a series of stills...

Cheesy

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 08:26:04 AM »
I posted some comments here:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/4062/175766.html?1140027193

In my opinion there were TWO idiots in cars here - the obvious one sliding around but the one to the right brakes unnecessarily and "closes the box" on her.  The cage to the right would have been better off driving AWAY from slidingfool[tm].

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 09:27:45 AM »
Talented rider.
I however, do not find her the LEAST bit attractive.  I mean, she could serve me some House Fried Rice, and I'd give her a nice tip and everything, but she's no prize in the looks department.

Just my opinion, everyone has them, most of them stink.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Talented rider.
I however, do not find her the LEAST bit attractive.  I mean, she could serve me some House Fried Rice, and I'd give her a nice tip and everything, but she's no prize in the looks department.

Just my opinion, everyone has them, most of them stink.
Don't worry.  If you go for a ride with her, all you'll see is her butt until it soon goes out of sight.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 05:19:01 AM »
Why did she swerve to the right? Woudln't it have made more sense to brake and lean left, then accelerate once you are clear? I mean, you'd have to watch for traffic coming up, but it would have saved a lot of trouble.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

CatsDieNow

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 06:08:11 AM »
They tell you in Motorcycle Safety Class to either brake or swerve.  Not both - good way to crash.  I think she said that she was hoping the car in the next lane was going to move over and didn't.  Also, if he had tried to counteract the spin, maybe he would have ended up so far in her lane.

The video only shows what's going on where she's looking.   Motorcycles can stop relativly quickly - the truck behind you can't.  Maybe she was afraid of being rear-ended too and smooshed between two vehicles.  I have run a couple of red lights because even though I could have stopped for the light, whatever was behind me wasn't going to.

(Ahem - those are some less than classy coments, guys...)

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »
Quote from: Winston Smith
Why did she swerve to the right? Woudln't it have made more sense to brake and lean left, then accelerate once you are clear? I mean, you'd have to watch for traffic coming up, but it would have saved a lot of trouble.
Well you have to look before you swerve...   The video is real time so there's very little, if any time, to first look and swerve once the car is fully sideways and coming into her lane.  Another thing to note, the car to her right was hard on the brakes which prevented the girl from moving further right.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 08:26:51 AM »
Regarding commuting in California via motorcycle, with video she's not the only one.

Here's a no crash video from the LA area:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3380795234024090933

This is a legal activity there,  BTW.  I've many thousands of miles doing this during about 40 years of living around there.  The lanes in this video appear to be almost normal width.  Some lanes are narrower more like this video from Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtXymQkjs&search=motorcycle

In this one the rider takes some risks I sure wouldn't.

Anyway, enjoy!
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 10:00:27 AM »
My sweet lord...I am still trying to catch my breath from watching that youtube "Japan Highway" clip...
This person wove through traffic SO fast and squeezed through such SMALL spaces, I would not be surprised if he/she is already dead as we speak.

No one can take those kinds of risks for long and not get splattered.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Motorcycle crash
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »
Does anyone have server space for me to upload a 70 MEG video so maybe some others can view it?

It's originally from FastBikes magazine and well past insane.

I googled around the web and couldn't find it anymore.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 11:19:48 AM »
No way, at the speed she was going there is no way should have skipped all the way to the left of that car without hitting it, and by doing that she would have been going a lot faster when she did hit the car. Really, there wasnt a lot that could be done in that situation, she did what she could to avoid the collision and got on the brakes right up to the point of impact to reduce the speed of collision, thats proper procedure right out of the textbook. There is really no way that a person could predict exactly what that car was going to do. In hindsight, if you *knew* what was going to happen perhaps it would be possible to squirt around to the left, but without knowing what traffic is doing in that lane you might just be skipping under the 18 wheeler that is passing you on that side.

Motorcycle crash
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
Winston,

Basically, she thought he was going to "spin in place" leaving a gap to the right.  That would have left a bit of a gap over there and predicting that, she went for it.  Problem was, once Mr. Twitchcase started the spin, he climbed OFF the brakes which allowed him to drift forward cutting her off.  Had he stayed "brakes to firewall" he would have stayed in his lane but spun there, not nearly as bad.  For that matter, had he come off the brakes like he did BUT crank his wheels hard left he would have started to point his nose back in the right direction and again, ladybiker would have had her gap.

Another issue is that the car to her right SHOULD have kept going and given her enough gap.  Instead, that car braked hard putting it RIGHT into the path of the idiot to the left and "closed the box" on ladybiker.

On a bike, it becomes very easy to understand that you can brake hard, or you can steer hard, but you can't do both.  The more you brake, the less you can steer and vice versa.  The issue is that there's only so much you can ask of your tires.

THE SAME IS TRUE OF A CAR as this twitchcase has so graphically shown!  It's just that you can't "sense it" on four wheels the way you can on two.

The ladybiker may, and I repeat MAY have made a different mistake: it's possible that she "fixated" a bit too deep on the twitchcase because he put out "bad vibes" (and yeah, us bikers get to where we can dang near smell idiocy in the air from a particular driver).  In which case she may have lost her continuous sense of what OTHER cars were around her to the right, left and rear.  That would make her hesitate some, deciding on how hard she can brake and/or what her dodge options were into other lanes.

One mistake she DID make: she was too deep into the middle of the lane.  That is very seldom the best place to be.  Hugging one edge or the other means that in a case like this, go ahead and brake HARD hoping that whatever is behind you will be able to brake and steer just a wee hair to miss you, not really bad odds if you know things have gone way deep into turdland dead ahead.

That aside, Ladybiker is NOT in the wrong her, legally or morally.  She made one minor mistake in technique (center of lane) but that usually wouldn't bite her in the butt.  Twitchcase did WAY more wrong, first not paying attention and getting in the first trouble (which only needed braking to solve), second getting into the spin and then third freezing up the steering once in.

Barsterd should never be allowed behind the wheel again.  Frickin' hopeless.  Ladybiker ALMOST pulled it out, and would have if Twitchcase had steered hard left like he's supposed to or the cage to the right had driven away from trouble instead of staying with it.