Author Topic: She is as Dangerous as She Looks  (Read 4733 times)

Desertdog

• friends
She is as Dangerous as She Looks
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
There are things in this artical that surprised me as far as info  the electronics relay, without your knowledege, as you are using the equipment.  Pass this on to your friends,especially if they are in a security prone job.  The pictur of Robin is in the artical at;
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/07/24/she-is-as-dangerous-as-she-looks/?test=latestnews

She is as Dangerous as She Looks
July 24, 2010 - 7:26 PM | by: FOXNews.com
Written By: Yanmei Xie

Robin Sage had the look. On her Facebook and Linkedin profile photo, she cast a piercing glance sideways from her dark brown eyes. An enticing smile lingered on her pink lips. And, she had the chops: out of MIT for just three years, she boasted of being in “the computer hacking scene for over ten years” and already had a position in Naval Network Warfare Command.

The national security community swooned. Robin soon collected high-level intelligence personnel, military officers, congressional staffers, and even soldiers on active duties in battlefields as her social network buddies. Recruiters for defense contractors invited her for dinners and phone chats.

But, behind the persona of this femme fatale is Tom Ryan, a thickset cyber security sleuth with a permanent five o’clock shadow. He runs a cyber security firm called Provide Security.

During an exclusive interview with Fox News Ryan said,  “There is a lot of information leaked people don't know about.” He says people unknowingly revealed sensitive information to “Robin” through what they thought were harmless acts like posting photos. Ryan points out “If you use an iPhone, it will give the exact location where you are, the name of the person who owns it and the version of the software, different information like that.”

For example, one of Robin’s soldier friends posted a photo of his unit on surveillance duties at a mountain outpost in Afghanistan. That inadvertently exposed their location, because the photo contained GeoIP data from the camera. “There is so much information leakage out there. People don't understand what they are putting out,” Ryan said.

During the 28 days that Ryan ran the experiment, Robin gained a total of about 300 friends on LinkedIn. Her Facebook profile collected 110 friends, and the Twitter account gathered 141 followers. Her social networking skills were on vivid display when she scored connections with officials in the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the National Security Agency, an intelligence director for the U.S. Marines, a chief of staff in Congress, and several people in the Pentagon.

Ryan said his experiment is likely to prompt the national security community to take a hard look at its social networking policy. “I think it will change policy. It will probably help provide a guideline. My company is working on a policy to share with everyone.”

Ryan is heading to the Black Hat Technical Security Conference in Las Vegas. He will share his findings in a presentation titled “Getting in Bed with Robin Sage.”

In case you are intrigued, you can follow the Black Hat Technical Security Conference through LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.

Read more: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/07/24/she-is-as-dangerous-as-she-looks/?test=latestnews#ixzz0ujW3hlh9

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: She is as Dangerous as She Looks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
During an exclusive interview with Fox News Ryan said,  “There is a lot of information leaked people don't know about.” He says people unknowingly revealed sensitive information to “Robin” through what they thought were harmless acts like posting photos. Ryan points out “If you use an iPhone, it will give the exact location where you are, the name of the person who owns it and the version of the software, different information like that.”

Interesting bit of social engineering.  A Mata Hari who never was.

It's far too late for me to be the "Ungoogleable Man", but I just can't bring myself to do the Facebook type social networking.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
I wonder if any of the guys that got snookered ever thought of this, ht*tp://w*ww.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/robin-sage.htm , when they saw the name.

Edit I broke the link. Global Security is normally a good site, but for whatever reason, this link pops adds up all over the place.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:28:16 AM by Ben »
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

Ayep.  Old techniques, which go back to dumpster diving and good ol' fashion social engineering.  It is admittedly an art, but really, folks get bored and do this every so often to "prove" how insecure X is.  Whether it's buying a stack of used computers off eBay, raiding dumpsters, or whatever.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »
Just proves the old adage "Never trust a pretty face...esp. if the pretty face is interested in you..."

....though it's kinda sad....in the old days, the spooks used real women to seduce...now they don't even have to do THAT anymore....  :'(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
Just proves the old adage "Never trust a pretty face...esp. if the pretty face is interested in you..."

....though it's kinda sad....in the old days, the spooks used real women to seduce...now they don't even have to do THAT anymore....  :'(
=(

I don't think the world is as fun as it used to be.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
Ryan is heading to the Black Hat Technical Security Conference in Las Vegas.
BUGS!! CRUSH THEM!!  ;)

There are things in this artical that surprised me as far as info  the electronics relay, without your knowledege, as you are using the equipment.  Pass this on to your friends,especially if they are in a security prone job.  The pictur of Robin is in the artical at;

[Tries to repress inner grammar and spelling Nazi.]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
Am I the only one who heard "Robin Sage" and thought of the exercise the Special Forces conduct for their students at Fort Bragg?  Do they even do Robin Sage anymore?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
What color is the boathouse at Hereford?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
Am I the only one who heard "Robin Sage" and thought of the exercise the Special Forces conduct for their students at Fort Bragg?  Do they even do Robin Sage anymore?

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20100726/ARTICLES/100729942/1005
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »
How the *expletive deleted*ck should I know?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »
Black Dark green. :P

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
Just because there's more De Niro to get out of my system: "DRAW IT AGAIN.  DRAW IT AGAIN!"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 07:17:17 AM »
Tell me about an ambush?  Tell me about an ambush?!  I ambushed you with a cup of coffee!
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
Loved that movie.

HK grenade launcher.  Heh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton