Author Topic: EPA to Crack Down on Farm Dust  (Read 11065 times)

Desertdog

• friends
EPA to Crack Down on Farm Dust
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:37:55 PM »
Now they apparently want to starve us.  Having lived and worked on a farm when I was young, I do not see how the EPA can regulate the dust except by shutting the farm down if they plow, harrow, plant, or numerous other jobs.  Strictly a proposal by somebody who has no experience outside of a city, except, maybe driving by a farm when the farmer is working.

By Jacqueline Sit, NEWS 9
http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12899662

Copywrited material removed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:52:50 PM by JamisJockey »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: EPA to Crack Down on Farm Dust
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
Where do these bureaucrats come from? Are they all from NYC?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
More stupidity from the EPA.  It is to be expected.
I also expect the APS copyright enforcement team will stop by just any time now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
Please tell me this is an Onion piece.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »

dust bowl partial face palm
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
Well. I have heard, with this article, 2 stupid things today. The other was an article about researchers in CA are close to a vaccine, for stress.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »
Do they have a vaccine for stupid?

Anybody know the difference between an environmentalist and a terrorist?

On occasion, you can reason with a terrorist.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
You know, just about every time I read the paper or listen to the news, I'm thinking "No . . . they CAN"T be serious . . . is this someone's bad idea of a joke?"

And then I learn otherwise.

That the nincompoops who came up with this asinine proposal aren't fired out of hand confirms that this administration is motivated by active malice towards this country.

. . .  researchers in CA are close to a vaccine, for stress. 
There's been one around for a long, long time . . . it's based on the science of zymurgy, which dates back to prehistoric times.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
Do they have a vaccine for stupid?

I have heard the vaccine for stupid is your choice of bullet to the head.

Only steps away from regulating thought.....
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
Hey, don't worry, we can import all we want, haven't you heard?  We don't need to actually make or produce anything any more.  This is just a welfare island in a vast global sea.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »

City folk.

2 stupid things today. The other was an article about researchers in CA are close to a vaccine, for stress.

Look like this?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Short of wetting crops as you harvest, wasting precious water, how could you possibly stop dust on farms? I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff we grow in the US thrives in those sorts of soils. No switching to sand and clay.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
Now tell me again why it is we are not talking about legislative repeal?  We seem to talk up "zero funding" but no discussion so far of outright repeal of dangerous legislation.

Curious.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
2 stupid things today. The other was an article about researchers in CA are close to a vaccine, for stress.
I thought Prozac was already doing that job.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
Dust never sleeps.  But I think their plan is to just cut off the water.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
Sometimes I wonder what kind of crack these people smoke...

The idea is stupid, not just for the fact that it will increase the cost and regulatory burdens on farmers, but because it isn't environmentally sound.  AT ALL.

The only method I can think of to keep dust down when a field is bare is to water it every day or so.  This will place further strain on many already stressed aquifers and water systems, causing an even larger environmental problem.  This idea isn't very bright even by their own dismal standards.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Another one on the list of reasons why this country might eventually fall.  The stupid people are multiplying. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
Well. I have heard, with this article, 2 stupid things today. The other was an article about researchers in CA are close to a vaccine, for stress.

I always thought there was already an oral vaccine for stress, it just has to be used in moderation.
I call it beer.

As to the EPA, Regulate dust? are you freaking high? It can't be done, they could just as easily regulate sunshine or clouds.
 I'm of the opinion that this is just another front on the war against food.
The government has increasingly put more and more burdensome regulations on agriculture. The majority of the regulations tend to have the most negative impact on small producers and family farms in favor of corporate agriculture. If my tinfoil hat wasn't secure I could almost believe some of the regulations are intended to drive the family farm into extinction.
Don't get me wrong I don't hate corporate agriculture and the megalithic monoculture it employs I don't particularly like it but we are not going to feed this country with out it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:32:31 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
There's been one around for a long, long time . . . it's based on the science of zymurgy, which dates back to prehistoric times.

:D :D :D

Nicely done. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »

I had once met a 'former' FATAH fighter at a conference of radical leftist 'peace' activists from Israel.

The FATAH dude was the most sympathethic and rational person of them all.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:36:23 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »
That's a great Photochop job. I didn't think Dorothea Lange ever did an "Aw, geez, not this *expletive deleted* again" photo. ;)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Too many years of farm dust and chemicals scarred my lungs. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
Too many years of farm dust and chemicals scarred my lungs. 

Working on a farm, or just nearby?   If working on a farm, did you wear the appropriate protective gear if working with chemicals or in a highly dusty environment?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.