Author Topic: If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire  (Read 6222 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »
. . .  the nitrogen "had smaller molecules so it didn't leak as bad as air". . .
So smaller molecules don't leak as bad?

I could retire a billionaire by this time next year if I didn't have a conscience or didn't mind taking advantage of all the idiocy that parades as common sense these days.
Brad, PM me. I don't have too many qualms about taking advantage of idiots. If you have a "billion dollars in a year" idea that doesn't involve selling drugs, swindling elderly widows, or getting me a stay in the Graybar Motel, I'll split the take with you.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
Yes, you can get pure deuterium in cylinders.  I'm not sure I recollect exactly, but isn't it used as a calibration gas in mass spectrometers or something?  I remember seeing it in a "lecture bottle" (a small cylinder about 3" diameter X about 12" in length) in a lab I worked at once.

The joke was that if you burned it, the steam cloud thus formed would fall straight to the floor with a soft "flump" sound.

I also saw a bottle of "Carbon Dioxide, Bone Dry" on the shelf and was amazed that "Bone Dry" is actually a technical term.  Would you believe it actually means just that, "bone dry?"  (No water to form carbonic acid in the bottle.) Who'd'a thunk it?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:41:04 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »
Yes, you can get pure deuterium in cylinders.  I'm not sure I recollect exactly, but isn't it used as a calibration gas in mass spectrometers or something?
In fiber optics, deuterium is sometimes used as an alternative to hydrogen loading before writing a fiber Bragg grating - it shifts the absorption peak and reduces absorption losses.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
In fiber optics, deuterium is sometimes used as an alternative to hydrogen loading before writing a fiber Bragg grating - it shifts the absorption peak and reduces absorption losses.
Alright, way too much google time necessary to be figuring all that out.  :O

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »
:smiles and nods:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
Alright, way too much google time necessary to be figuring all that out.  :O
Here's the simple & abridged version, skipping a lot of the details:

Information is carried over fiber optics by laser light, usually in the near IR. If you can divide the laser wavelength into really tiny "slices" you can carry more information. This requires filters.

Spectral filters are made by putting together a "stack" of materials with varying index of refraction. If you zap an optical fiber from the side with an ultraviolet laser in the right way, you can change the fiber core's index. Do this in a controlled manner, and you can get a "stack" of different indices in the core that's really long, with a really narrow bandwidth. (This is called a fiber Bragg grating.)

Now, the fiber itself isn't naturally very sensitve to being laser irradiated, but if you let it "soak" in a high-pressure hydrogen atmosphere for a while, the hydrogen diffuses into the fiber and increases it's sensitivity to UV laser irradiation. This is normal SOP. However, the hydrogen can form OH groups that for some wavelengths cause absorption, making for a "lossy" filter. Using deuterium rather than hydrogen shifts the absorption peak and reduces losses.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
I think I understand most of that surprisingly enough. Thanks!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
I have a conscience to sell if anybody's interested  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 04:49:17 AM »
How come the hydrogen (or deuterium, for that matter) doesn't diffuse back out of the fiber?  Or is this done during the fiber's drawing so it's really captured in there good and tight?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
How come the hydrogen (or deuterium, for that matter) doesn't diffuse back out of the fiber?  Or is this done during the fiber's drawing so it's really captured in there good and tight?
Good question!!   =)  The hydrogen doping is not done during the draw, it's done long afterward. The high-pressure loading is temporary - if you store the loaded fiber at room temperature the hydrogen or deuterium will diffuse out. If you want to keep the hydrogen loaded fiber on hand for a while, you store it in a freezer at -40 degrees.

After writing a grating, you anneal the written area of the fiber at 300 degrees - this drives off any remaining hydrogen and stabilizes the grating. Annealing changes the characteristics in a predictable manner, and since you know in advance what your final target is, you offset your process accordingly.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire

So THAT's JamisJockey's secret!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife