Author Topic: If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire  (Read 6221 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
Just finished talking with someone who shelled out $10 per tire to get a nitrogen fill.  They fell for the sales pitch hook, line, and sinker, raving about how their tires weren't "being eaten up from the inside out" and how the nitrogen "had smaller molecules so it didn't leak as bad as air".  They didn't take it too kindly when I had to inform them the air they were breathing, and that most people used to fill their tires for free, was 78% nitrogen.  They got all huffy so I told them to go open their fifth-grader's science book and see.

Jeez but people fall for the dumbest crap.  I could retire a billionaire by this time next year if I didn't have a conscience or didn't mind taking advantage of all the idiocy that parades as common sense these days.  Sure, some things really are pretty complex and take some in-depth knowledge to figure out that you're being had, but getting your wallet lightened over something like this?  It's frikkin' grade-school science for crying out loud!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
Re: If I had no conscience I could be a millionaire
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
I get my tires at Costco, and they fill them with 100% nitrogen for free. It does seem to be a bit better than 78% nitrogen as far as temperature stability; could be no better than properly dehumidified regular air. Either way it's not anything I'd pay extra for.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
Nitrogen-filled tires os so last week.  Helium is where it's at! 

Helium is lighter than nitrogen.
Lighter = less wear!
Lighter = Faster!
LIGHTER = BETTER!!!

Fill your tires with helium today and start saving money!  Only $10 per tire, or all of them for $50!!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »

Lighter = less wear!
Lighter = Faster!
LIGHTER = BETTER!!!

Fill your tires with helium today and start saving money!  Only $10 per tire, or all of them for $50!!

Not a bad idea that.  Plus, the added leakage from the smaller helium atoms would mean they'd have to come back for lots of top-offs.  At a "preferred customer discount" of $5 per tire, of course.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
N2 filled started off in racing. The lower water vapor helped temperature & pressure stability; this leads to more predictable turn in and grip, which leads to faster lap times.

Legal street driving does not get any where near the tire temps as racing applications.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Lighter = less wear!
Lighter = Faster!
LIGHTER = BETTER!!!

Try hydrogen. Then if you run out of gas you can just connect your tires to your intake manifold and keep on truckin'.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
No, no!  Deuterium is where it's at!  Helium leaks through everything and regular hydrogen is more combustible than deuterium.  You don't want a nail to cause a leak and have your car burn up, do you?  Well, do you?

Or perhaps I could interest you in an upgrade to a tritium fill instead?  You will get lots of energy in your tires; you'll be amazed!  And you'll only need a refill every twelve years and four months!  Isn't that worth it for your peace of mind and your family?

It's for the children!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:21:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
I've heard of A/C techs filling soft tires with freon. I'm sure that does wonders for stability.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
I'm gonna be a contrarian and fill my tires with sodium hexafluoride.

I'll let Costco fill my tires with Nitrogen (HAH!) for free all day, also.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
remember n2 is slower leaking than normal air, so it's not really a bad idea. i just keep a little pump in my car. just easier. this pump. little hard on the cigarette plugs(i need to buy an adapter to hook straight up to the battery) but it's quite and fast. =D these are twice as cool, if you have space.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
$10 per tire to get a nitrogen fill

Not to mention you need to change the nitrogen in your tires every six months or six thousand miles  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
remember n2 is slower leaking than normal air, so it's not really a bad idea.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Normal air is comprised of 78.09% nitrogen (in the form of N2), 20.95% oxygen (02), 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and ~1% water vapor.

Oxygen, with an atomic mass of 15.9994, is a larger atom than nitrogen, which has an atomic mass of 14.0067, so 02 is going to leak at a slower rate than N2.

Which means that filling your tire with pure nitrogen should mean your tires will leak at a faster rate than filling it with regular air.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
raving about how their tires weren't "being eaten up from the inside out"

Oh, really? 

And I always thought they wore from the outside in. :facepalm:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
Heck, I know a guy that made about $12 million selling a cure for diabetes on the 'net.  Turns out you're not allowed to do that.  Never did year how his sentencing went.

Thing is, if he'd just have tried selling something legit he'd have probably have been able to hold together a nice comfy small business.  He did this just 2-3 years after a previous venture (where I worked for him) failed.  Obviously he had some talent in getting people together, on task, and believing in the vision he had.  Just couldn't keep himself honest.

People.  They're weird.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Try hydrogen. Then if you run out of gas you can just connect your tires to your intake manifold and keep on truckin'.

No....try a neon/argon mix.....the colors are pretty....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
N2 filled started off in racing.
I thought it started in aviation.  ???
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »
Or perhaps I could interest you in an upgrade to a tritium fill instead?  You will get lots of energy in your tires; you'll be amazed!  And you'll only need a refill every twelve years and four months!  Isn't that worth it for your peace of mind and your family?
I suddenly find myself wanting transparent tires.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:34 PM »
I suddenly find myself wanting transparent tires.

Heh.  We don't mine/harvest/whatever enough tritium in a year to fill all four tires.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Heh.  We don't mine/harvest/whatever enough tritium in a year to fill all four tires.

But, I know for a fact that Airgas sells bottles of deuterium.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
But, I know for a fact that Airgas sells bottles of deuterium.

...and maybe a few gallons of heavy water for the radiator, perhaps?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
Hey guys, I will fill your tires with unobtainium for one hundred dollars a tire.  It's magic; you will get 1500 miles per gallon no matter what kind of car you have .... and 0 to 60 miles per hour in two seconds flat!!! :angel: :angel: =D [popcorn] [tinfoil] :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »
Hey guys, I will fill your tires with unobtainium for one hundred dollars a tire.  It's magic; you will get 1500 miles per gallon no matter what kind of car you have .... and 0 to 60 miles per hour in two seconds flat!!! :angel: :angel: =D [popcorn] [tinfoil] :lol:
The check is in the mail!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Owens

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »
Of course i fyou suffer from a bit of ledfootitis, we can always top your tires off with some of the heavy gas. You know what it is. Governmentium. The heaviest substance known to man.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »
Governmentium. The heaviest substance known to man.

Don't know about heaviest....but it's certainly the densest and hardest to get rid of....