Author Topic: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site  (Read 102788 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
THis may be interesting to all contributors to this thread:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/23/americas_first_muslim_president
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
THis may be interesting to all contributors to this thread:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/23/americas_first_muslim_president

Allow me to summarize for everyone else.

OH NOES!!! TEH EVIL REPUBLICANS WILL DRIVE THE MUSLIM VOTE AWAY!!111!!

(Except for the fact that Obama got 90% of the muslim vote before this controversy where no one said anything bad about Muslims.)

BUSH GOT 70% IN 2000 and Republicans have blown it all!!!!

/end summary

Of course, the article ignores the fact that Muslims had already defected in 2004 because "I think there has been a sense of betrayal, if you will, almost because of the way the Muslim community was treated since 9/11," Mukit Hossain, president of the Muslim American Political Action Committee, told FOXNews.com. "The government has effectively, contrary to what it says, targeted the whole community for the acts of a few criminals."

and:

The survey found that 53 percent of American Muslim voters think Muslims should vote as a bloc for a president; 81 percent also indicated that they support the agenda of the American Muslim Taskforce on Civil Rights and Elections — a national coalition of the 10 largest Muslim organizations, including the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Muslim Alliance of North America and Muslim American Society.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135970,00.html

Republicans aren't getting the "Muslim vote" back so long as most Muslims support organizations that support terror. (i.e. CAIR)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
The Republicans can embrace their principles or votes at any cost; if they're willing to sacrifice the former for the latter they are as good as useless.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
The Republicans can embrace their principles or votes at any cost; if they're willing to sacrifice the former for the latter they are as good as useless.

Of course they're willing to sacrifice principles for votes.  When's the last time that wasn't the case?  1994?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
Of course they're willing to sacrifice principles for votes.  When's the last time that wasn't the case?  1994?
Considering they won big in 1994, I would say that wasn't what happened.  

I think it is not a matter of buying votes, but buying influence and making all their monetary sources happy.  Money talks in elections.  I imagine the pressure to buddy up with those power brokers and political organizations of one type or another is pretty big in D.C.  When someone like that provides campaign workers and funding to help reelection, it is hard to say no when all those principled people out there provide no money and no help.  

There is a local radio talk show guy in Houston called Michael Berry who used to be on the Houston City Council.  That was basically his opinion about elections and "special interests".  When you have special interests providing money and support and those "normal" principled people out there provide no help and no money, which do you think is the more tempting choice?  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:13:30 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
Another point of view. He strikes a chord.
TC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjS0Novt3X4&feature=player_embedded
TC
RT Refugee

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
Another point of view. He strikes a chord.
TC

Meh.   The guy obviously has an ideological axe to grind.  He lost me when he started that Islam is a hate group that "should be banned" on the grounds of hate speech or whatnot.  Sorry, I don't buy the argument that we need to gut the First Amendment for people's sensitive feelings.  His argument that we should become Nazis so people don't see us as being "soft"...   Yea, no thanks. 

He's obviously entitled to his opinion.  I value his right to free speech just as equal to the people he's ranting about.  I'd be just as quick to argue for his death if he actually tried to implement his ideas as I would for any loonies that tried to impose sharia law in the US.  Both are equally hostile to the Constitution and should be watched with a degree of suspicion.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
So what happened to "there's no right not to be offended"?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
depends whose ox is being gored
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
So what happened to "there's no right not to be offended"?
How dare you.   :mad:  I demand that you edit such an incensing post.

;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15:43 AM »
I agree with Rev; Mr Condell is a little too quick to lean toward the big-brother, Government-imposed solution to an offensive Islamic Jihad in NYC. But his forthright speech about how offensive the GZM is to most Americans and his willingness to call a spade a spade is refreshing.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »
he doesn't discriminate  hes anti all religions
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »
'septing the ones what will suicide bomb his worthless, umm donky. [popcorn]

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »
I heard a pundit floating the idea that this guy bought the building for 5mil, and has tried to sell it for 20, and that now there are rumors going around NYC that he's just trying to turn a profit on the building.
Lots weridness on this and it just keeps on going.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

You wouldn't like to see the size of the circle of those who have materially contributed to jihadis.  And the non-contributing sympathizer circle might cause anxiety.

Then think: material contributors and mere sympathizers are a greater portion of American muslims than muslims worldwide.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2010, 02:00:31 AM »
You wouldn't like to see the size of the circle of those who have materially contributed to jihadis.  And the non-contributing sympathizer circle might cause anxiety.

Would you like to see the number of Muslims living in, and supporting, nations that are friendly or allied to the US?

What about the number of Muslims directly serving in allied forces?

What about the number of Muslims sympathetic to the above?

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
Would you like to see the number of Muslims living in, and supporting, nations that are friendly or allied to the US?

What about the number of Muslims directly serving in allied forces?

What about the number of Muslims sympathetic to the above?

What I would like to see is the group you mention standing up and denouncing those who would kill in their name.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2010, 02:24:46 AM »
What I would like to see is the group you mention standing up and denouncing those who would kill in their name.

You mean, the fact that the world's leading centers of Islamic scholarship denounced terrorism is not enough?

"Cleric condemns suicide attacks"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3059365.stm

"Scholars Call Attacks a Distortion of Islam"
http://www.themodernreligion.com/terror/wtc-distortion.html

It is not enough that a Fatwa has been issued condemning the acts of terrorism?
http://www.unc.edu/~kurzman/Qaradawi_et_al.htm

The fact that thousands of these people are bleeding and dying in the ranks of allied militaries fighting against Hamas, against Al-Quaeda, the Taliban, etc. - that is not enough? It is not enough condemnation for you?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #294 on: August 30, 2010, 04:16:41 AM »

Where's Barack Obama on that circle?  :P

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #295 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:39 AM »
Where's Barack Obama on that circle?  :P

Null set. :)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
Where's Barack Obama on that circle?  :P
Right in the center.  Who do you think they're worshiping, filthy unbeliever?   :mad:

It was a joke.   =|
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:36:36 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »

The fact that thousands of these people are bleeding and dying in the ranks of allied militaries fighting against Hamas, against Al-Quaeda, the Taliban, etc. - that is not enough? It is not enough condemnation for you?

Not enough for me, personally.  I want to see rank and file Muslims denouncing Bin Laden in the same volumes and proportions as I see average Christians denouncing the Westboro Baptists and abortion doc killers.

There are isolated instances of Muslims denouncing 9/11 and violence, true.  But if I'm to believe that the isolated instances of terrorism perpetrated in the name of Islam are not representative of the whole of Islam, then I cannot also believe the isolated instances of Muslims denouncing terrorism as representative of the whole of Islam, either.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
Not enough for me, personally.  I want to see rank and file Muslims denouncing Bin Laden in the same volumes and proportions as I see average Christians denouncing the Westboro Baptists and abortion doc killers.

I know Christians that agree with the Westboro Baptists' beliefs, just not their methods.
In fact, a higher percentage of the Muslims I know (100%) denounce Al Qeda than Christians I know that denounce abortion terrorists(about 70%)

What does this mean?  Absolutely nothing.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »

Guess Maj. Hasan didn't get that memo.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.