Author Topic: I need a good hat.  (Read 7768 times)

dogmush

• friend
I need a good hat.
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »
I'm going on Safari in Kenya this October and am trying to come up with some good clothing to take with me.  It's proving difficult because most of my good outdoors gear was bought while I lived in Alaska.  Not quite the same climate as Kenya.  The stuff I wear down here in FL tends to be shorts and short sleeve shirts.  Not great for African sun and malarial mosquitos.  So a new wardrobe is needed.

Todays search is for a good, tough, fasionable, protective hat.  While walking through my local outdoors store I ran across a couple nice hats made by a company in Canada called Tilley Endurables. They seem well made and comfy, but not inexpensive.  The model I'm looking at is $65 retail.  That's steep, but not out of the question fora good piece of gear.

So what say you, good folks of APS?  Has anyone heard of these hats?  Are they as good as their website would have you believe?  Any other suggestions for a good safari hat?

The Tilley model I'm looking at:
Tilley T3

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Re: I need a good hat.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
You found Tilley. They're as good as anyone.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
The comparison chart isn't entirely clear, but imho, you should defnitely get the one with a 3/4 inch or so strip of mesh around the top of the crown.  Way, way cooler than a less vented hat.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
Pith Helmet  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
Pith Helmet  ???

=D

Oh yes!!!  Wear a Pith helmet and talk with a English accent at all times.  Act as if it were 1898.  Don't answer to anything other than Quartermain.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
You found Tilley. They're as good as anyone.

+1

You might, if you look hard, find better, most hats don't measure up to a Tilley though.

Hats are a personal subjective thing so YMMV.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
Tilley.  I own two.  Canvas FTW.

Be sure to wash it at least once befoer you go.  Shape it and then hit it with scotchguard/silicone spray.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »
I've got a tilley - the "not cotton" model
It's at least ten years old.
I hate to wear it most everywhere, as I am seriously anti-style.  The tilley, to me, feels conspicuous and ostentatious.

It is, however, a damn good hat, well made, and does everything you'd want a hat to do.
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
I'd consider a wider brim if you are looking for serious sun protection, at least a 3" brim sides and back.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 02:34:56 AM »
the tilley is a odd thing, i've had everyone from dr.s to fellow worthless staggerabouts, tell me they have them. [tinfoil] but you just can't kill 'em mine's going green around the brass, but that's because i couldn't keep it washed. the shoestring is the worst to go green. and don't underestimate the wind, i've had to chase mine twice now. now i just go ahead and use the back strap in all conditions outside. oh and if it "shinks" there's instructions to stretch it back out on there site, basically hold one side with your knee and pull, rotate and repeat.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Another vote for the Tilly.  I got the one with the wide brim, insect repellent, and neck drape/cowl thingie (that I have not yet had cause to deploy).  After having it for one day, my wife ordered one for herself.

Guaranteed forever, against all hazards, including loss.  Sort of the Dillon Precision "No BS Warranty" for a soft cover.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »

*ahem*  My first Firefly reference.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
I have heard lots and lots of good things about Tilley hats, and I see people with them on the trails all the time.  When I have looked at them in REI, I have been impressed with the construction.  

I would like to buy one, but I have never yet at REI seen the models I want in the size I need.  Depending on the cut of the hat, I take either a 7 and 3/4 or 7 and 7/8.  Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find these sizes to try them on.  Because of the cost of a Tilley, I really think I should try on one before spending the money.  

I have the same problem buying motorcycle helmets.  With my 63.5 cm round head, I usually take an XXL or XXXL, depending on the helmet brand.  Virtually never do motorcycle shops stock helmets in those sizes to try on.  

As a possible alternative, Outdoor Research and Columbia also make some nice hats.

PS: not to mention that for a lot of hat or motorcycle helmet manufacturers, XL is the largest size they make, which further limits the selection for those of us with large heads.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:12:13 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
What's it the Tilley like compared to a standard boonie hat?

I have the same problem buying motorcycle helmets.  With my 63.5 cm round head, I usually take an XXL or XXXL, depending on the helmet brand.  Virtually never do motorcycle shops stock helmets in those sizes to try on. 

A friend of mine is pathological in his solution to this sort of problem for clothing.  He will order clothes online from a place with a liberal return policy, and simply return stuff if it doesn't fit.  The ridiculous part is that he will order different colors of the same item and return the colors he doesn't like.   ;/
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
'Creek, Tilley gives a complete description on how to size and fit the hat on their website, and offers to exchange it if you misunderestimate how big your punkin really is.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
What's it the Tilley like compared to a standard boonie hat?
What's a flea-market took kit like compared to a set of Snap-Ons?    Boonie hats will keep the sun and rain off your head for 10 - 15 bucks.  Both the cheap tools and the Boonie hat are likely made offshore.  Boonie hats, like the cheap tools, are cheap enough to buy several and keep them scattered about in areas of likely need.  There are places, and I think the OP's anticipated AO counts, where you don't want to look like you're in the military.  If someone can afford a safari, they can afford a Tilley.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »
'Creek, Tilley gives a complete description on how to size and fit the hat on their website, and offers to exchange it if you misunderestimate how big your punkin really is.

Hmm, interesting.  According to their sizing guide, I should be ordering a Tilley hat in 8", although they also say that different cuts of their hats fit differently and may take different sizes.  I have been holding off until the next time I get up to Vancouver, BC.  A friend of mine up there says that Tilley has a flagship store in downtown Vancouver, and they stock every size of every Tilley hat made for purposes of trying them on. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
Boonie hats, like the cheap tools, are cheap enough to buy several and keep them scattered about in areas of likely need. 

I do exactly this with cheap boonie hats in my vehicles and at the office for emergency use.  With my large round bald shaved head that sunburns easily, I have a lot of hats for the five months a year that the sun shines in Seattle.  But then I have nicer hats as well.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »

A friend of mine is pathological in his solution to this sort of problem for clothing.  He will order clothes online from a place with a liberal return policy, and simply return stuff if it doesn't fit.  The ridiculous part is that he will order different colors of the same item and return the colors he doesn't like.   ;/

My wife does the exact same thing.  I can tell you that Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Coldwater Creek have a very liberal clothing return policy, at least for women's clothing.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
Major thread drift:  Lands End has some great clothes at good prices, and you can return them to Sears. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »

*ahem*  My first Firefly reference.   =D

DD

....and a good one it is....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.