Author Topic: Daydreaming....anyone own a cabin or vacation spot?  (Read 4050 times)

Jason

Daydreaming....anyone own a cabin or vacation spot?
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:26:57 PM »
I found a couple properties in the mounains here, that I'm sure the wife won't let me buy Tongue
Tell us about your cabins/vacation spots!

Jason

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:30:14 AM »
The wife confirmed the big fat "no"
http://www.utahrealestate.com/458584

Doesn't hurt to have a dream, though....

Holly76201

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:56:10 AM »
Does a timeshare count? one with an endless vacation option?
My primary one is in Canyon Lake TX in June. But the others I can make reservations to use on a space available are in Conroe, 2 outside Palestine, Galveston and One in way east TX called Holly Lake Ranch.

The one in Canyon Lake is my fav and the prettiest. Nestled in the TX Hill country, a short, less than 10 minute drive from the winding Guadalupe River.

My second and third are the ones outside Palestine. Palestine is a sleepy little town, but my son lives there so it's fun to go visit him.

All the timeshares have lots of on-site amenities. Pools, Mini Golf, spas, exercise rooms, saunas, shuffleboard, pool the table game, ping-pong and movies throut the day in the rec center plus movies to check out.

They are all fully furnished with linens and dishes and ususally a whirlpool tub in the Master bath.

The yearly maintenance fees are less than what you would pay for a week's lodging and dining out somewhere. And since there's a second bedroom with it's own entrance and mini kitchen and bath you could rent it out to friends for the week you're there and help off set the cost of yearly fees.

I think they are a good value and I enjoy mine.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Jason

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 09:58:02 AM »
Timeshares are a great value.  I wouldn't mind getting one.  The only thing I don't like is the inability to keep your own stuff there.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 10:52:25 AM »
Leatherness and I, once we got the last child out of college, started doing serious "day trips." To the mountains of West Virginia at first, but gradually, more and more, to the Chesapeake Bay tributaries. I grew up on water, and the water maintained its pull after all these years. We finally wound up in the Northern Neck of Virginia, near the birthplace of George Washington, in country steeped in early American history, and rife with creeks and rivers leading to the bay.

We were steered to a little point of land on a creek off the Great Wicomico River in Northumberland County--a county with only one traffic light (a flasher at that). The point had 3.5 acres and 880 feet of deep-water shore. The cottage was (is) a one-bedroom apartment over a two-car garage. It now sports a 1000-sq. ft workshop/barn as well, built single-handedly by the two of us, if that makes sense.

It's about 2-1/4 hours drive from "home", and it's about the most tranquil place on earth at times.

Land--especially waterfront--in the Neck has boomed recently, and our place is worth easily twice the $160K we paid for it 9 years ago, and maybe more. We might sell one day and move to the low country of South caroline, as that's an area we like to. But for now, "Cabbage Point" (dubbed so for a Grandson who kept confusing "cottage" and "cabin") is our weekend refuge from the madding world of Northern Virginia.
TC
RT Refugee

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 11:06:43 AM »
In the long term plans, after we move to Maine in a bit, will be an investment in some hunting land upstate.  Put up a tent at first, then a lean-to, then a cabin....... aaaahhhhhhhhh..

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Speaking of Low Country of SC.  I've been vacationing on Hilton Head for 25+ years.  My folks bought into a timeshare back when the development started.  Anyhow I have two weeks.  Great place to relax and reboot.  You can pay anything you want to play golf.

I have noted with more than just passing interest there is no range on the island.  Matter of fact I don't think there is a gunshop around either.  Now all I gotta do is come up with the million bucks for a lot to build the range.

If I retire (don't think I will) I'd give a long hard look at Beaufort (bee-you-fort) SC.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »
I'm not going to tell ya'll where I live cause ya'll have guns and will try and come and take it away from me.  (thumbyernosesmiley)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:59:31 PM »
My family, My wife's father, and her brother own a place in the Michigan UP on the Menomonee River. Good smallmouth fighing on the river, also sorrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of public land on both sides of the wisconsin/michigan border.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 01:48:40 AM »
I live there already!  Problem is I can't be on permanent vacation (quit working) for another 20 or so years.  But the kids enjoy it.  9 acres, a swimming pool, shooting range, and a pond.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:40:19 AM »
I'm still at the daydreaming stage too, still quite haven't found my place in the world yet. I know where I want my cabin, but just haven't been able to have the income to afford it.
-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

DigMe

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 06:35:01 AM »
My family has a pretty nice little house that is soon to be added-on to on 350 acres 30 mintues East by Southeast of Austin.  It's no picturesque mountain cabin but I love going there and you can hunt various animals year-round.

brad cook

Jason

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 06:58:03 AM »
Since I'm dreaming big, anyone got $355,000 they can spot me?
http://www.utahrealestate.com/458383

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »
*sigh*
No, I don't.  I'm only 23, and I already want to chuck everything and move out to the sticks.  That's what growing up in The People's Republic of California will do to you.  I would be perfectly happy with a little cabin in the woods, or a really small town, and a job that pays enough that I can keep the lights on, eat some food, and buy some ammo.

gunnkid

• friends
Re: Daydreaming....anyone own a cabin or vacation spot?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »
Wherever you choose, make sure you have a good exit strategy with multiple routes if needed. Running surface water gives you both water for drinking, and the ability to generate hydroelectric power. Dig a root cellar for both winter food storage, and a good long term storage solution for your MREs.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
Wow. A ten year old thread. I'm 33 now and moved to Colorado Springs a few months ago.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
See what happens when new people arrive.  Too many damn necroposts.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
The wife confirmed the big fat "no"
<a href="http://www.utahrealestate.com/458584" target="_blank">http://www.utahrealestate.com/458584[/url]
" border="0
Doesn't hurt to have a dream, though....

Wow. A ten year old thread.

Too many damn necroposts

Damn, I was going to tell him to dump the wife and live his dream....maybe he already has. :)

bob