Author Topic: Thinking of re-enlisting  (Read 2387 times)

ROTTO

Thinking of re-enlisting
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:31:22 PM »
I served in the National Guard from 89-95 and got out because of all the Clinton cutbacks and other BS going on at that time.  Over the years I've had some regrets over this decision.  I read today they have raised the enlistment age to 39 so I would be able to re-enlist, I am currently 38.  I was wondering if anyone here is a recruiter and can tell me what the requirements are for doing so.

Jason

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:28:26 AM »
Personally, I tell anyone I know not to enlist in the National Guard or Reserve.  Nothing against these services, but the idea of calling up part-time soldiers in record numbers for a little war bothers me.

Sean Smith

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 04:46:41 AM »
Quote from: Atc1man
Personally, I tell anyone I know not to enlist in the National Guard or Reserve.  Nothing against these services, but the idea of calling up part-time soldiers in record numbers for a little war bothers me.
Well, that's what they are there for - to be called up as needed.  Says so right on their enlistments.  It doesn't say anything about a right to goof off on weekends while dressed like a tree and get paid for it by Uncle Sucker in perpetuity.  Heaven forbid military service actually involve some remote potential of personal hardship or something!  Tongue

It ain't like it used to be, where "service" in the Guard or Reserves was, potentially, uninterruped decades of goofing off... barring a natural disaster or riot or something.  Your enlistment will mean exactly what it says it means, not just in theory but as a practical matter.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »
I personally agree with Sean Smith, but Atc1man does have a point.  If you enlist in the Guard it is more likely than not that you will get called up, maybe more than once.  If you have problems being sent over to Iraq or being called away from your family you should think twice before signing up.  If you are okay with it, then good for you!

ROTTO

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 03:52:24 PM »
Actually I have no problem with getting activated and am well aware that the chances are better than 50-50 that I would be.  I am divorced and have no childern so there is nobody depending on me.  I also realize that if I am mobilized I will take a $3000.00+ a month pay cut but  I personally think serving my country is more important than personal financial gain

wasrjoe

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 04:38:58 PM »
I wish I had some information for you, ROTTO, but I just have to say... my hat's off to you!
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Jason

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 04:50:01 AM »
Finanacial gain, or finacial loss?  I'm just tired of hearing on the news about all these families on welfare or losing thier homes because the breadwinner got called up.  As long as you're mentally and financially prepared to be called up, go for it.
Sean Smith:
IMHO, the mostly the Guard but also to some extent the Reserves, aren't nearly as well trained, equipped, nor prepared as a full time service.  Also, I think we need to reexamine our world wide deployment priorities and troop levels.  I think we need a larger military for the missions they're being tasked with.

Sean Smith

Thinking of re-enlisting
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 06:55:42 AM »
Quote from: Atc1man
Sean Smith:
IMHO, the mostly the Guard but also to some extent the Reserves, aren't nearly as well trained, equipped, nor prepared as a full time service.  Also, I think we need to reexamine our world wide deployment priorities and troop levels.  I think we need a larger military for the missions they're being tasked with.
None of which are really relevant to this discussion, especially given his awareness of everything involved.  Wink