Author Topic: Any recommendation for/against 'Driver Detective'  (Read 675 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Any recommendation for/against 'Driver Detective'
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »

From their website.

The Ultimate Driver Solution!  Make Windows Driver Hassles a Thing of the Past!
Complete Your Driver Detective Registration Now to Update Corrupt or Outdated Hardware Drivers on your Windows 7, XP or Vista Computer.

When it comes to these kinds of programs I am a complete DUMMY.  When I ran their scan they came up with 19 posible "Problem" that they can overcome.  Any comments?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Any recommendation for/against 'Driver Detective'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
If none of the hardware is malfunctioning or otherwise not working properly in your computer then it's about 99% likely you don't have any driver problems.

Sounds like a good way to bork your computer and put your money in someones pocket.

It looks like a nominally legit program but thats all I can really say.
Look, tiny text!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »
Months ago I did a clean install, and my WiFi card was no longer working. After screwing around with it for a long time I decided it must be the driver.

I bought Driver Detective and found it was absolutely useless. I solved the problem by going to the card manufacturer's site and downloading a driver that worked.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
One of the guys I work with swears by this program so I decided to give it a try.
I loaded windows xp onto a generic box store pc and than installed the detective.
It did work well at finding all the drivers need for the pc, considering I had no OEM disks and no idea what was in the box it worked well.
I did un-install the program when I was done because it was a bit naggy about this and that being out of date, I really didn't care because it worked.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
Some time ago, I was newb-ish enough to try a couple of programs like that.  They give you high expectations, but don't deliver.  Like the others have said, you don't need new drivers unless you notice a problem.  If you do have a problem, go to the manufacturer's website.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife