Author Topic: Now I know why motorcycle helmets aren't shown being worn by models  (Read 9731 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
One of the downsides of living in a smallish town is the limited shopping choices.

I decided I needed to get a more open motorcycle helmet for those days when the temperatures are in the 90's. My black open-face model was boiling my brain.

There's a couple of cycle shops here, but helmet selection is limited. So I ordered an HJC half helmet, the same brand as my three-quarter, on the internet. In the photo it looked much like the helmets a lot of motorcycle cops wear.

When it arrived today, I put it on and noticed two things. The first was that it was painfully tight, despite being the same size as my black helmet. The other is that it's very wide, so much so that it looks ridiculous, as though someone had cut a large watermelon in half, painted it white, and stuck it on my head. (I'm reminded of the line from Bob Dylan's "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat": "You know it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine...").

So, I set out once again to look at helmets on the internet. Problem is, there's no way to gauge the width, height or anything else, as nobody shows helmets being worn. Then it hit me: if they showed models wearing the helmets, sales would go down, as helmets look clunky no matter how expensive.

Come to think of it, I've never seen an ad for Depends showing an elderly person wearing them, and probably for the same reason.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Now I know why motorcycle helmets aren't shown being worn by models
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:28:34 AM »
Come to think of it, I've never seen an ad for Depends showing an elderly person wearing them, and probably for the same reason.

Thanks for the mental image. You are evil.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:08:47 AM »
Come to think of it, I've never seen an ad for Depends showing an elderly person wearing them, and probably for the same reaso

(Jerks thumb over shoulder)

4Chan is that-a-way... freak.  :mad:

=D

I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »
Do a Gold Wing ad and you could get the helmet and the Depends in the same shot.  [barf]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
^, ^^, ^^^, ^^^^

Thanks for the wake-up laughs!

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
I've actually seen people wear helmets like the one in the 2nd pic.  I did a  double-take when I saw it.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
I think what you need is a K-pot with suspension and then paint it white.

You'll get plenty of air flow at speed, the white paint ought to keep off the heat and the kevlar will likely protect your melon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
I think what you need is a K-pot with suspension and then paint it white.

You'll get plenty of air flow at speed, the white paint ought to keep off the heat and the kevlar will likely protect your melon.

No, he needs one of these:

http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/German+Spike+Helmet+Kaiser+Black+Spike+Helmet~~395.html

=D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
I've seen both the chrome and the spiked German-style helmets, as well as the plain German style. I want to shout at the rider, "do you actually think you look like a real Hell's Angel? You look like a clown sitting on a gas tank!"

Down here in AL I'm encountering something I haven't before. Perhaps because it's a mandatory helmet state, over half the riders I see have something painted on their helmets. It may be words, or pictures or something, but many riders adorn their helmets. I can't recall seeing that in any other state.

I called the Milwaukee PD to find out what brand their officers wear. It's Seer, which is a company that hand-makes each helmet. (How they get such a small profile, I don't know).  The half helmets run $250, which isn't bad, but it's a lot for a helmet I'd just wear in July and August. So I guess I'll look like I have a mushroom on my head for a few weeks.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:59 AM »
Reminds me of Ace who walks into Bob's Motorcycle Emporium to buy a helmet.

Ace:  How much are your helmets ?
Bob:  $150.
Ace:  $150 ?  But Charlie's Bikes & Accessories down the street has them on sale for $120 !
Bob:  Buy one from Charlie, then.
Ace:  But Charlie is out of stock.
Bob:  I sell mine for $100 when I'm out of stock.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
my old Maryland neighbors were Harley Riders that wore tiny un DOT approved buckets adorned with foul stickers

http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3067&cat=0&page=1&featured
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Somehow I don't think it was the Harley's that made your neighbors jerks.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:32 AM »
I thought it odd that they bought fake DOT stickers for their fake helmets.

Loud pipes save lives, but helmets are anti freedom!

derp

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:06 AM »
It grates on me, but living in Milwaukee I know better than to open my mouth or complain about the "loud pipes save lives" crap.  =|

Then they remove baffles out of their stock mufflers, or buy poorly designed aftermarket ones to make them even LOUDER, but that screws up backpressure, and then they have to leave the bike idling forever, or do ever more throttle-work to keep the engine turning over.  :P

I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
South Park's take on it was pretty hilarious...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1312
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »
The stock cams on a Harley have almost zero overlap and are pretty short-lift, so putting an aftermarket camshaft and carb on the bike is the first thing people do to improve horsepower. Just putting on a higher lift, longer duration cam and an S&S carb increased the horsepower on my bike about 33%.

The stock mufflers are too restrictive for this setup, and the cam and carb manufacturers recommend going to metal-baffled mufflers. The metal baffles make the bikes louder, but not obnoxiously so (IMO).

The really loud pipes are straight pipes with no baffles. On a drag bike with really long duration, high lift cams, the straight pipes help give more horsepower. On the average Harley, though, the straight pipes scavenge the unburned fuel/air mixture too soon, resulting in lost horsepower.

The guys with straight pipes don't seem to care, though, at least the ones I've talked to.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »
I admit, I do like the first few roars of a Harley I hear on a mild spring evening. It's a sound that summer is coming.

It's kind of like that first faint whiff of skunk at a distance.

But just like the skunk, after a while...  =|
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
Darn, both those links ^  were nanny-blocked.  Must be good, huh?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
You pretty much have to put free flowing mufflers on a Harley and remap/rejet/adjust the idle fuel mixture to get the potential out of a stock engine. An unbaffled pipe will rob bike of horsepower, not enhance it. An aftermarket pipe with a bigger internal bore and a baffle will be louder than stock.

I put aftermarket pipes on my bike, rejetted, and changed out to an aftermarket ignition. Its only slightly louder around town when I keep the revs low, but is quite loud when I open it up on the freeway.
A buddy of mine has a late model Fatboy, he did the same and its not loud until its opened up. That being said, there are a lot of idiots who just want to be 'fags' and don't care if they piss everyone in their neighborhood off or burn their pistons or valves in order to make more noise.

-I love the sticker about the loud pipes interfering with someone's cell phone call- :laugh:
Whenever I see someone on the freeway on a cell, I really want to jam the thing up one of their nether orifaces. I can't count the times I've had yapper veer over into my lane, cut me off, or ride 2' off my back wheel because whoever they are talking to or texting is way more important than taking driving seriously. =(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Helmets.

Have you looked at Skorpion helmets? I wear a fullface, but going from a HJC to a Scorpion was a huge tradeup in wind noise reduction, ventilation, and comfort, at a very reasonable price.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
Why is it i can pass a BMW motorcycle at 80 MPH and still hear my radio?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »
Why is it i can pass a BMW motorcycle at 80 MPH and still hear my radio?
Probably because they are powered by an engine that's a bit more advanced than a 1920s tractor engine. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
All the places Harley's leak oil also lets out extra sound too.
I promise not to duck.