Author Topic: So, I wanna buy a Nook...  (Read 6924 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Re: So, I wanna buy a Nook...
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
I'm a fan of Project Gutenberg, and was pleased to discover that the Nook displays the mobile version of that site nicely. I was less pleased to discover that B&N has the software set so that you can't actually download files via the device. Instead, I had to download the epub files to my computer, and from there transfer them over the USB cable. I'm really hoping that they change this in a future software revision.

Also, Amazon will not sell you an epub file, they push only their proprietary format. I'm not altogether surprised by this, but I was hoping that I'd be able to source books from either B&N or Amazon. However, it appears that there are a few third-party retailers.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 12:51:24 AM »
I love Android, and I love open formats, but the truth is I trust Amazon.  I've been using them for years, I expect them to be around forever, and I expect them to eventually do the right thing when problems arise.  I definitely don't expect B&N to be around forever.

Both the Kindle and Nook apps work great on the Android; as soon as I installed each one and logged in, it pulled all the eBooks I'd bought from the company in the past for my laptop, including a couple I'd forgotten.  The Borders one seems a bit slow, but still quite usable.  Being a night owl, the performance in full sun isn't really an issue for me.  Lack of a cellular link isn't a big deal either; I rarely need a new book on the go, and if I do, any hotspot is effectively a bookstore.

IMO, the only eBooks it really has a problem with are fairly large PDFs, but that's understandable; it's not a serious powerhouse in terms of memory or processor, so a 10M+ PDF drags it quite a bit.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
Lighten up, AmbulanceDriver.  He said he hasn't screwed with it a whole lot yet.   :-X
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.