Author Topic: So, I wanna buy a Nook...  (Read 6925 times)

grampster

• friend
So, I wanna buy a Nook...
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
but I'm wondering if Barnes and Noble will go belly up or will someone buy them or will they just close stores and continue with the internet reader portion of their business.

Nook seems to get better general reviews than the reader from Amazon...plus the Nook's price at $199.00 for WiFi and 3G seems better.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: So, I wanna buy a Nook...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
Brand new Kindle 3 came out today.

Take a look at that before getting the previous generation technology (Nook or Kindle 2).

Also, it's cheaper than the Nook (by $10).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FSUDM4/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=169431331&ref=pd_sl_390k092hv1_e
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »
From what I gather the Nook is friendly to more formats than the Kindle is.  In other words, if B&N did go belly up (which I doubt) you'd still be able to put DRM free eBook formats on it yourself.  Not so much with the Kindle -- it's their MOBI format or PDF.

As a former iTunes/iBook/iPod customer I'm hesitant to jump on another DRM laden electronic format but my wife's got a Kindle on the way right now. I predict we'll regret every eBook purchase we made for it in about 5-6 years.  I could be wrong though.

All that said, I question the utility of 3G on these devices.  How often do you find yourself nowhere near a WiFi hotspot and really needing a book?  It doesn't really seem worth the extra $50 or so to me.  *shrug*

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
From what I gather the Nook is friendly to more formats than the Kindle is.  In other words, if B&N did go belly up (which I doubt) you'd still be able to put DRM free eBook formats on it yourself.  Not so much with the Kindle -- it's their MOBI format or PDF.

As a former iTunes/iBook/iPod customer I'm hesitant to jump on another DRM laden electronic format but my wife's got a Kindle on the way right now. I predict we'll regret every eBook purchase we made for it in about 5-6 years.  I could be wrong though.

All that said, I question the utility of 3G on these devices.  How often do you find yourself nowhere near a WiFi hotspot and really needing a book?  It doesn't really seem worth the extra $50 or so to me.  *shrug*

I've been doing a lot of research on these, and I want to buy the Nook. It has so many great ideas- more formats supported, Andriod based operating system, removable battery.

However, Kindle 3 vs. Nook is no contest. Kindle 3 is superior.

I just hope a next gen Nook comes out before Christmas.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
Hmmmmmm.  I don't need the Nook till mid December, so I think I'll wait awhile and see what shakes out in the fall.  Gotta look up the Kindle 3.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »
Grampster, I have a nook, and I love it. I imagine their prices will drop to keep up as well.

e-pub format and relatively easy conversion of PDFs were two big plusses for me. I love it, and it has me reading more.

They were running a special for a while where you got 30 bucks worth of books with purchase... not sure if they still are or not.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
So I've been doing more reading on the devices and just saw something that could sway me to the Nook. An Amazon review of the Kindle 3 said that the battery is not replaceable. You have to send your Kindle back to Amazon who will then ship you out a different kindle with a new battery.

That second part about a different Kindle seems really weird. But even if only the first part is true, me no like. A user replaceable battery is always a big plus to me. The non-replaceable battery and proprietary format are starting to make the Kindle sound like an iPhone.

Can anyone confirm if the Kindle battery is not user-replaceable?  
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
So I've been doing more reading on the devices and just saw something that could sway me to the Nook. An Amazon review of the Kindle 3 said that the battery is not replaceable. You have to send your Kindle back to Amazon who will then ship you out a different kindle with a new battery.

That second part about a different Kindle seems really weird. But even if only the first part is true, me no like. A user replaceable battery is always a big plus to me. The non-replaceable battery and proprietary format are starting to make the Kindle sound like an iPhone.

Can anyone confirm if the Kindle battery is not user-replaceable?   

Not without voiding the warranty.

That and the fact that the Nook takes micro-SD cards to increase memory makes me want to wait for the next Nook.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
Sheesh!

A quick glance at the thread title, and I thought it was about trolling for hookers.   ;/

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
Sheesh!

A quick glance at the thread title, and I thought it was about trolling for hookers.   ;/

DD

Nope......you have to PM fistful about that.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
or you could just dye a tilley a nice shade of hot pink. :angel:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
I hit the reply button, but I just got nothin' to say.  A hot pink tilley?  Mabs is going on safari?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
was thinking more middle aged pimp. :lol:

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
was thinking more middle aged pimp. :lol:

...like Barney Frank?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
Sheesh!

DD

Every time NPR's underwriter acknowledgment  touts the "Nook E-reader"  I hear "nooky reader" and wonder if the gadget may be more versatile than I think. =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 06:00:39 AM »
"nooky reader"

That'd be some mighty fine print.   =D

There would be no excuse for "getting behind in your reading".

Libraries would become popular again.

DD

"Handbook" would take on a whole new meaning.  :facepalm:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
Let's not get confused.  "nooky" is what you use to unlock your nook.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
Let's not get confused.  "nooky" is what you use to unlock your nook.

Wow.....and I thought just using a password was difficult....  =|

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
And...another interesting thread degenerates into a perverted inside joke.  Thanks, guys.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
with that title, was there any doubt? e-reader it is. :P

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
To resurrect and get back on topic...

I picked up a nook today, the wifi-only model. I haven't screwed with it a whole lot yet because it is still attached to the wall and receiving its initial charge.

I got it from Best Buy, where I was also able to handle a demo of the new Kindle (which is amazingly slim). I decided to go with the nook primarily due to the user replaceable battery and the ability to read epub files. I also like that the nook operates on the Android OS.

I already downloaded a bunch of epub and pdf files from Project Gutenburg, so I'll have plenty of reading.

More updates after I play with it more.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
More updates after I play with it more.

Pervert.

=D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »
I just ordered one of the Android tablets on Amazon for $160.  No 3G, but it's got wifi, and should read pretty much anything that somebody can write an Android app to handle.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
Coincidentally, my Kindle arrived today.  Absolutely love it--the last Kindle I got to see in person was my dad's, which was from the original batch that sold out in five hours.  All I remember thinking was "nice screen, but jeez is this thing huge and ugly."

Well, the Kindle 3 is a lot nicer looking.  Great screen, better contrast, better refresh rate, and even lighter than my cell phone.

The screen is so good that when I opened it up and there was text on the screen, I thought it was printed text on a transparency over the screen.  Nope, the transparencies were blank--the screen is just so close to paper that I couldn't tell.

The interface is kind of clunky for everything that ISN'T reading a book, to the point where it's much faster for me to whip out my phone and order a Kindle book on there than it is to order it from the Kindle itself. Of course, they both sync thanks to WhisperNet, so wherever I order it, it shows up everywhere.  Beats the hell out of traditional books for me.  The current behemoth I'm reading is Brian Sanderson's Way of Kings, which is 1000+ pages--that is, it's an absolute pain to carry in my bag, and since I hate writing in books, I also have to carry a notebook to take notes.  With the Kindle, I ditch both of them, and my notes are backed up online, on my phone, and on my computer.  You can't really beat that.

I love Android, and I love open formats, but the truth is I trust Amazon.  I've been using them for years, I expect them to be around forever, and I expect them to eventually do the right thing when problems arise.  I definitely don't expect B&N to be around forever.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
I've had my Kindle 3 for about 10 days now, and I love it. I definitely won't be doing much web browsing on it, but it feels the same to me as reading a paperback. I tried the Nook at the local Barnes & Noble, but found it too slow for my taste, and the touch screen at the bottom wasn't responsive enough. Trying to type on that miniscule touch screen was also frustrating.

I may not be able to get some of the epub books on the Kindle, but that was worth it to me to avoid the slowness and navigation pain of the Nook. The user-replaceable battery is a non-issue for me. By the time the battery on the Kindle gives up the ghost, I'll be wanting a new version of whatever is available anyway. In the meantime, the battery on the Kindle lasts far longer between charges than the battery on the Nook.

The Nook is pretty good, but I'm more impressed by the Kindle.