Author Topic: DIY backscatter xray  (Read 7100 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
DIY backscatter xray
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »
Alright, let's get cracking on this!  :O =D

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: DIY backscatter xray
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
Better idea: EMP weapons =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
EPFCG time?

I think getting one of those right would be a huge PITA.

Plus, I haven't found a good source for 'splosives that are stable, cheap and legal.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
Seen plans for EMP devices for sale. Also seen video that supposedly shows one in action. It sure messes with the electronic equipment they use to test it against...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
Yep, it's Friday afternoon.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »
Seen plans for EMP devices for sale. Also seen video that supposedly shows one in action. It sure messes with the electronic equipment they use to test it against...

Well, if the EMP device really works, then the video should suddenly stop, right ...?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »
HERF gun. Anybody got some good plans for one?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
Well, if the EMP device really works, then the video should suddenly stop, right ...?   ;)
Faraday cage? =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:22:18 AM »
It's cruel, caging Faradays.  They won't breed in captivity.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »
I agree with 230RN.  I believe we should take an APS trip and protest outside of Viking's domicile.  Who's with me?  Hey Viking, once this gets organized we will need an address from you and no you cannot use 1060 West Addison, Chicago, IL.  ;)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to make an EMP grenade, just powerful enough to have a small 2 meter range. Perhaps of the collapsing charged coil variety, and it just uses something like a shotgun shell or maybe a really nasty spring even, with a fuzable link that releases it and crushes the coil.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
Y' know, dang it, I wrote an SF story back in the mid-sixties about a revolutionary who wanted to destroy all the records at the Geneva Records Center.  He built a bomb out of "industrially-rated energy cells" modified to dump all their energy in milliseconds into a heavy coil wrapped around the inside edges of a briefcase with a dead man's switch and a timer.  The pulse would destroy every magnetically stored bit in the records complex....

Heh.

It started out, "The bomb in his briefcase wasn't very powerful, but it wasn't meant to be."

I'll have to dig it out and see when the copyright notice was on it --'66 maybe?  (Never published.)

For what it's worth, which is nuthin' anyhow.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:03:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Two ways of dealing with backscatter x-ray devices.  Either blocking it, or actively jamming it.  AFAIK, FCC regs don't touch on the x-ray portion of the EM spectrum, that'd likely be the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.  It may be entirely possible to legally jam backscatter by continuously emitting x-rays, preferably tuned to the exact medium that the feds/cops are using.  HERF and EMP are illegal in the US, per FCC regs.

Blocking is rather interesting.  It's may be legally problematic to install copper mesh in your walls or TEMPEST proof your house for the express purpose of blocking RF spectrum, consult a lawyer for a definitive answer.  I assume the same is true of your vehicles, but I've never heard of anyone previously trying.  

Edit:  For better clarification
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:13:08 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:03:24 PM »
  It's illegal to install copper mesh in your walls or TEMPEST proof your house.  I assume the same is true of your vehicles, but I've never heard of anyone previously trying. 

I'm afraid to ask because the answer will probably hurt, but WHY?
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
I'm afraid to ask because the answer will probably hurt, but WHY?

Why is it illegal?  You can't pass a law saying "Mobsters are forbidden to install passive ELINT defenses", so you apply it to everyone.

Mind you, I heard this a while ago.  I have no idea the correct and/or current legal status of intentional passive ELINT-defeating tech.  I know for a fact that active is very illegal.  Anyone really familiar with building codes?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 11:05:30 AM »
It's illegal to install copper mesh in your walls

How would they know  ???

SWAT raids  =|

Drop that sheetrock!  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
. . . It's illegal to install copper mesh in your walls or TEMPEST proof your house . . .  
I understand the FCC takes a dim view of transmitters that jam, well, anything.

But before I believe that passively shielding your own home against RF is illegal, I'd need to see a cite . . . especially since aluminum foil hasn't been outlawed yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
I understand the FCC takes a dim view of transmitters that jam, well, anything.

But before I believe that passively shielding your own home against RF is illegal, I'd need to see a cite . . . especially since aluminum foil hasn't been outlawed yet.

I edited my post for more clarification (ie lawyer speak).   Hopefully BridgeWalker doesn't read this thread, she'd kick my tail.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
AFAIK, FCC regs don't touch on the x-ray portion of the EM spectrum, that'd likely be the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

All Amateur radio license classes are authorized to use all modes on frequencies over 300GHz.  I don't see any mention of an upper limit.  I know at one point we did get a contact on 650nm counted for a contest.  (Morse code via laser pointer ~5mi hilltop to hilltop.)

Blocking is rather interesting.  It's may be legally problematic to install copper mesh in your walls or TEMPEST proof your house for the express purpose of blocking RF spectrum, consult a lawyer for a definitive answer.

Then don't do it expressly for that purpose; I have a lot of stuff that I like to keep interference out of, and besides, a whole-house Faraday cage would catch any accidental emissions from an imperfect dummy load on a transmitter under test.

I assume the same is true of your vehicles, but I've never heard of anyone previously trying.

There are a lot of glass coatings in use that are conductive.  There was quite a bit of discussion among the ham community a few years ago about how effective certain models were as Faraday cages.  Some people were having trouble hitting a repeater half a mile away using a handheld with its antenna inside, but putting the same antenna on a magmount on the roof got them 20-30 miles of range.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
Long ago I woked for a company that did work for Loral.  They made aircraft ECM equipment.  I once asked a company rep if anyone ever played on there own. He told me a tech made a auto trunk radar jammer that had a lot of power and range.  I don't know if he ever got busted for it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
Some people were having trouble hitting a repeater half a mile away using a handheld with its antenna inside, but putting the same antenna on a magmount on the roof got them 20-30 miles of range.

Most auto glass these days is what's called passivated. That's why using a glass mount antenna with these vehicles won't work (as you'd be dumping all the power into the cab) and handhelds can have poor performance inside.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
building a car out of depleted uranium? :angel:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »
http://www.noah.org/science/x-ray/stong/  (where is the "glow in the dark" smiley?)
"It's good, though..."