Author Topic: Am I the Only SciFi Aficionado Who Does Not Like Asimov's Work?  (Read 11300 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Am I the Only SciFi Aficionado Who Does Not Like Asimov's Work?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
Nothing that a little self flagellation won't cure.  =|

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
I have most of the Witch World books here and several of Norton's singles and short story books. Also have a whole shelf for McCaffrey's Dragonriders.

And I also have the Heinlein Room in the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Library Addition.  :P

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
All I've read of Asimov is the original Foundation trilogy.  It left a bad, authoritarian taste.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=16046.msg295647#msg295647

I think I probably started with Andre Norton, back in the eighties.  Then some Bradbury and Clarke in the next two decades, and Heinlein more recently.  I'm actually more fond of short stories, though.

Plus he helped popularize the "Freon is destorying the ozone" bullpucky.  The devil take him....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
When I was a kid I read Asimov's The Rest of the Robots. I enjoyed it, particularly the short story Victory Unintentional, which may have been Asimov's most entertaining story. (Though not necessarily the most thoughtful or best written.)

Some of his other work . . . not so much. There were - and are - better authors.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »
Plus he helped popularize the "Freon is destorying the ozone" bullpucky.  The devil take him....
Why that SOB!!  :mad:

I'm going to dig out all his books and burn them just for that!  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
he was writing fiction, what better place for fiction? ;)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Why that SOB!!  :mad:

I'm going to dig out all his books and burn them just for that!  ;)

Ray Bradbury has something to say about that! ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I think at one time a lot of SciFi writers predicted that pollution would continue without ceasing until the world was uninhabitable or something.  I remember reading a short stories like that.  Heinlein assumed race relations would never end in the US.  Moon is a Harsh Mistress had some of that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
Asimov is my favorite sci-fi writer.  I also like Heinlein and Saberhagen (Berserkers), and Niven/Pournelle (Mote in God's Eye is great, Lucifer's Hammer is good also).  I really liked Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, a bit dry but very good "hard" sci-fi.

Right now I'm reading Cauldron by Jack McDevitt and I like it so far, although I seem to have picked up book 5 of a five book series.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
I always forget about Saberhagen.  I really liked the Berserker stories.  Keith Laumer started the Bolo tank series which are also good short story collections.  Rendezvous with Rama was recommended to me and I really liked it.  I found I didn't like the sequel though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »
I got hooked on John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series, especially the first 4 books.  Have y'all noticed that, as soon as they get popular, writers like Ringo, Flint, Weber will then co-author some of their more popular story lines with, shall we say, less-gifted writers?  About the only counter-example are the collaborations between the above, and then the Ringo/Kratman books.  Being in a book drought, I picked up books by some of the co-authors.  Kratman is the most bestest, M. Z. Williamson not too bad, but Travis Taylor, whoa, horrible.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
I read a lot of his stuff when I was a kid. I was never really impressed with his work. Of course I feel the same way about most of the other SF I read from his peers as well. Maybe because I picked out my SF books from the used book store I never got to read any good SF.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
I read a lot of his stuff when I was a kid. I was never really impressed with his work. Of course I feel the same way about most of the other SF I read from his peers as well. Maybe because I picked out my SF books from the used book store I never got to read any good SF.

Au contraire, the best scifi back in the day was found at used book stores.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »

Still true today. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
I had discovered Asimov in High School and I liked his stuff. Also all for of Clarks Space Odyssey books I liked. And Dune, only read the first one.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
I find Asimov is good as mindless entertainment, but not if you insist on thinking too deeply about things.  Asimov tried to deal in grand ideas, and failed.  But stories about robots and space colonies and mind-controlling aliens are always fun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »
I find Asimov is good as mindless entertainment, but not if you insist on thinking too deeply about things.  Asimov tried to deal in grand ideas, and failed.  But stories about robots and space colonies and mind-controlling aliens are always fun.

Yeah, there were a lot of good short stories. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
I've found some good ones in old books, but also some liberal fantasy doom and gloom stuff also.  But if you go through them every few days, you might as well start with the cheaper stuff. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
I recently read Witches of Karres by James Schmitz.  Some other authors wrote a couple sequels that are good reads.  I read a couple short story books called Interstellar Patrol by Christopher Anvil that were pretty good. 

John Dalmas and Ian Douglas are a couple of other more recent authors.  I am not sure if all their stuff is okay or not. 

sanglant

• friend
something i just remembered.
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 04:40:25 AM »
just avoid SFBC's best of the year books. there are a few good shorts in each, but there is some [barf] REALLY disgusting stuff in there to. and oddly sfbc is the cheapest place to get some old scifi, the collectible stuff isn't affordable any other way. omnibuses. there are a few i try to grab a hand full of each time there printed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
Meh. Freon would have still got banned, except it would have happened circa 2002, because turrurists can make phosgene out of it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »
You guys are going to have to start paying Dupont some money. Freon is a registered trademark. :police:

It's called refrigerant.  :P

And there's nothing like the smell of phosgene when your on the west side of a house on a 105 degree afternoon.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 01:49:10 AM »
Actually it's known on the street as "chill".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine