Author Topic: Native American singing  (Read 813 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Native American singing
« on: February 20, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »
One of our two public radio stations up here (98.3 KNBA) is native owned/run so they have several radio shows of both modern and traditional Native songs, Robert Mirabeau and such.

I've always wondered, but never asked, if the "heeeey-ya hey-ya" so common in Plains Indian songs is an actual "word" or a vocal music sound or "melodic noise" to go with the drum rhythm and dancing.

Anybody know?

I assume it's different than as used by Outkast.

Smiley
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

crt360

• friend
Native American singing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
hey-ya-ya-ya = kill white man
heeeey-ya hey-ya = shake it like a Polaroid pikcha

I really have no idea.  Maybe they're cheering for their team.   Shocked
For entertainment purposes only.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Native American singing
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »
I don't know but if you like Native American music check out the album by Robbie Robertson and the Red Road Ensemble. IFIRC, it was the soundtrack to the TBS series on Native Americans .  Good stuff.bvg
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Native American singing
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »
Well I've never thought of it as singing so much as chanting.  

In that respect I'd guess:

b.) vocal music sound or "melodic noise" to go with the drum rhythm and dancing
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Native American singing
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:20:46 AM »
I was under the impression that Mongolian-American chanting was spiritual chanting to achieve an altered state like the Buddhist monks do.  At the Battle Ground museum at Prophetstown here they discuss the chanting and dancing and how it was to make them fierce warriors.  http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properties/park_prophetstown.html

The jumping up and down is to loosen the joints to prepare for fighting.  Of course, neither jumping nor chanting was of much help to them around these parts!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.