Author Topic: Tornado Preparedness  (Read 2663 times)

Stetson

• friends
Tornado Preparedness
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
Welllllll, that was fun.  Just had a tornado pass us to the west, about 4 miles. (Kaufman County Texas)

The bathroom is full of supplies.  Food, water, stuff for my daughter, ammo and firearms.
Now have to put it back in boxes.

The tornado is now in Dallas County

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Tornado Preparedness
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
Funny I just saw a friend post on Facebook that he heard the sirens. In Nevada TX I believe.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
Aunte Em! Aunte Em!  Glad you're okay man!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
Get out of the trailer!!! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
I'm in the Dallas medical district. I think it passed within a mile of me.  :O I was prepared to scream and piss myself, and that's about it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
I was going to grab The Pugs and hed for the closet, but it was just rain by the time it got to Plano.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
Usually tornados come so fast that all you can do is get your butt to a safe place, let alone grab any possessions. Best I had when I heard one coming was to grab my dog and lay down in the bathtub.  As soon as I got in the tub it passed through my front yard.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
This really freaked my daughter out.  Shes turned into a micro demon.  We've fed her, and are now taking turns cleaning the kitchen, packing some more and holding her so she doesn' cry and scream anymore.  She didn't know what was happening but I think she got something from the vibes from us.  I tried to stay as calm as I could and get her and my wife in there while listening to the reports.

I had just closed the door when the wind an rain hit.  Nothing was destroyed in our area but the town we do all our business in was referred to as "Tornado Central" for a while.  I haven't heard from my friends in town so I'm assuming all is okay.  They know they can come here for whatever they need. 

I have a couple of friends in the Medical District also and one got pictures from the top of UT Southwestern complex of buildings.  They are pretty dark and nasty looking.  Another friend is up 75 at Dallas Presbyterian and they were without power most of the day.  I haven;t heard about or seen any damage reports yet.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
remind me to slap my wife for unplugging my weather alert radio
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
Lie down on the floor with a paper sack over your head ...?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
Tornados bad.  Saw my first cluster of them in 1956.  I was 12.  Funnels all around us.  Tore up the county and killed a lot of people.  F5 in Hudsonville and Standale.  The whole state got nailed that day.  Couple years later we were in Kentucky and the funnel was coming down the road behind us.  My dad pulled off the road at right angles and the thing missed us.  I remember seeing a tree flying in the air and a woman running across the street below the tree.

Palm Sunday, 1965. I was in LE.  Partner and I spotted a tornado and followed the funnel continuing to put out warnings.  We got ahead of it, unkowingly.  It came across the road right in front of us and killed the guy in a Nash car that was in front of us and blew us off the road into a field.  No damage to our car.  We spent the next several hours digging people out of the wreckage and transporting them to hospitals in our cruiser.  Several people died besides the guy in the car.

Spring of 67 another once came through Grand Rapids and took the roof of my FIL's house.  I was dispatching that day and was giving a running report to our cars from other officers.  I had to dispatch cars knowing the damn thing went right down their street.

I don't like tornados.  You need a basement or a nice deep hole in the gound with a very secure trap door.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:12 PM »
Fortunately, I haven't had a tornado get dangerously close . . . too close for comfort, yes, but not actually threatening. (Of course, you only really know that AFTER the fact.)

A small tornado passed a couple of miles west of me some years back. I went by there about a week later, and you could see exactly where it passed over Hwy 71, west of Austin . . . you couldn't miss the path, the trees on both sides of the highway looked as if they'd been uprooted and mixed up by a giant egg beater some 50 yards wide.

Glad you're safe.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain