Author Topic: Fidel Castro  (Read 1405 times)

grampster

• friend
Fidel Castro
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
Writer Paul Haven of the AP authored a story today about "Jeffrey Goldberg, a national correspondent for The Atlantic magazine," who "asked Castro if Cuba's economic system was still worth exporting to other countries, and Castro replied: "The Cuban model doesn't even work for us anymore," ...

Interesting.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Fidel Castro
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »
We all know that the Cuban model doesn't work.  The question is why Fidel would say so.  What's his angle?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
Raul has been saying Cuban-style communism does not work ever since he took over from his brother.

Mostly because it was propped up by (formerly)Russian rubles that no longer exist, let alone the lack of interest in supplying the rubles, let alone propping up the regiem.

The Cubans are slowly starting to realize that they need to offer the outside world something other than the delights of the past: cheap sugar, excellent sex vacations, and a fairly decent split between the state and the Mafia on gambling profits.  I think they long ago realized that there are not enough snobs to make any real money off cigars and that the anti-smoking crowd would eventually kill off that goose anyhow.

If anything, Cuba might realize a short-term windfall on body parts for classic cars although a good number of frames are literally baling wire and bubblegum patch jobs with jury-rigged engines.

I think Fidel is saying it in order to save face as the country starts to make the necessary turns away.  If the Father of the Revolution supports it the people will agree with him and accept it even though it means they might lose their freebies.

Would you seriously want to tell folks used to getting a government welfare stipend that is not enough to live on, but comes with free access to less-than-adaquate health care and free access to education equal to about the 7th grade for all and university for the select that it is all going to end because it was all a mistake?  In a country that rebelled against the previous regiem because they did not get even that?  [OK, that was the very early party line.  Then came the overturn-corruption and capitalism-is-bad lines.]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
If only we could get Obama to realize this ....  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
If only we could get Obama to realize this ....  ;/

Obama does realize this.  I'd bet money on it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.