Author Topic: name this dog  (Read 6081 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: name this dog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:40:30 AM »
Looks like some red nosed pit bull in there.

bob

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:15:28 AM »
thats what i thought too. it got shot after it bit another dog.   the clue for me was when the guy "fostering" the dog said it was not known for being "a people biter"   i have a dog aggressive dog  when i take her there other dogs she doesn't know she wears a muzzle.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »
Pitt for shizzle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »
Could also just be an American Bulldog, Dogo Argentino, or a Ca De Bou... (shrug)

That is part of the "problem", a lot of dogs people think are APBT... aren't.

Although at that angle it's very hard to tell. Head size in proportion to the body, body proportions, length of the legs etc...

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »
American Bulldog

The pic in the OP story link isn't even close to being an American Bull.  Wrong skull structure.  Wrong muzzle lines.

Pit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
Looks like a Pit Bull to me.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
Ditto. Pit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
Jack Russell Terrier after the Russian Olympic Medical Staff got done with him.

IOW, Pitt Bull Terrier.

As was stated above, NOT a Am Bull Dog.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »
The Montgomery County MD animal shelter calls those a
"Staffi" a cute name for a Pit-bully.

It's a fighting dog mutt, They are quite popular with the proletariat masses.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »
Floyd.
7-11 was a part time job.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
I was thinking some sort of terrier, but pit bull seems to fit as much as anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
i feel bad for the dog

the "owner/foster parent" not so much.  i bet he thought it would be cool to take him to the crowded street festival and he could in fact get to meet some girls that way but i'd be very careful of a dog with dog aggression issues in a crowd with other mutts.  but thats just me.   heck even the foster dad got gnawed breaking up the fight so it was more than a simple snarl and snap.  i like pits but its sad that they tend to draw a fan base of which a certain percentage is intellectually challenged

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
Arthur.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
Snookums....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
i like pits but its sad that they tend to draw a fan base of which a certain percentage is intellectually challenged

Ditto.

I would add the caveat, that I like the old-school leaner/smaller APBT used as hog dogs & such, not the bred-with-mastiff freakshows I see in some urban locations.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »
i hear ya about the crosses though i fostered one for a while that was spooky.plus he was 90 plus pounds  easily the best trained most obedient dog i've ever seen and i include some awesome police dogs in the group.   that said he would tremble and shake when he saw a cat or squirrel  wanted em soooo bad   but a single word restrained him  you could walk him on a thread. the way he wanted to please and bonded was truly great  only reason i let him go was my wife is not really a dog person and poorly suited to be the alpha    and that kinda dog you better be the alpha. he was good with my dog aggressive bitch .  the guy i gave him to had an infant he cared for while the dad drove otr trucks  after the first week the dad showed up and tried to go to his kid,  jaws told him no amd made it stick till grand pa said it was ok then started wagging and let dad pet him and the baby.  prior to jaws i didn't understand folks who liked pits but as is often the case when i actually got some experience my version of reality changed.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
The Montgomery County MD animal shelter calls those a
"Staffi" a cute name for a Pit-bully.

It's a fighting dog mutt, They are quite popular with the proletariat masses.

A lot of the dogs that get referred to as Pits are actually Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Oddly, after looking at your link one of the dogs they have listed as a Pit I'm pretty certain is a Staffie.

Lots of Staffs needing rehoming around here, very popular with a demographic you'd not expect to look after a dog well, namely chavs. I'd get one as they do make good pets, however I'm still young enough that I suspect people would cross the street to avoid us on walks.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
he was 90 plus pounds...prior to jaws i didn't understand folks who liked pits

Yep, 90+lbs is cross-bred to something big.  Way back when they started as a bully-terrier cross.  The result is going to be a medium-sized dog.

The APBTs that frieds & buddies owned were sweet pooches with astounding athleticism.  Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.  IIRC, they were once (one of) the most popular dogs before WWII.  Funny how all those APBTs on the farms and in the cities back then were not considered a menace.

I'd get one as they do make good pets, however I'm still young enough that I suspect people would cross the street to avoid us on walks.

Meh, just don't look/act like a thug. 

Smile  =) and greet at folks as they approach & pass.  Obedience train your dog and demonstrate his good discipline by giving him commands to pull off to the side if you approach a choke point or if there are a lot of folks crowding the way.  Have him come to a stop and sit at every intersection.  Show off his discipline and your control.  Love him up when he does well, petting him and saying "Good doggie."  Acclimate him to other dogs, people, & kids.

Believe me, you will attract positive attention.  We have a 90lb Doberman both my wife and I take for walks & runs.  Walks usually take 50% longer than we budget because everyone wants to stop and see the well-behaved dog and asks to pet him, which we oblige and Max enjoys.  When I walk alone with Max, I get WAY more young female attention a married man ought to.  (CSD would call it "shooting over bait.")  Also, bring some plastic baggies to deal with calls of nature. 

Friendliness, good training, and consideration will dispel the thug aura.  You'll meet new folks and you & your dog will be known as good guys.  You'll meet more folks if you join up or participate in a dog training club.  Dogs are social critters and you'll have more opportunity for socializing if you enjoy other folks.

Also, no thick/anchor chain as a dog lead.  A nice 6' leather lead & training ("choke") collar is all you need to control the largest of pooches, if they have even limited training.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
you crop the dobie?  or go "au naturale"  they look like a hound uncropped  stealth doggie

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
jfruser -

Unfortunately it's very specific thing around here. I'm a dog person, not bothered at all by rotties and dobermans. Young chaps with staffies/staff mixes/dogue de bordeaux around here though, you're a little wary. Not necessarily of the dog.

Suspect I'll get one anyway. Or another spaniel. Or a greyhound. Or a GSP. Or  Vizsla.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
you crop the dobie?  or go "au naturale"  they look like a hound uncropped  stealth doggie

"au naturale"

I like the puppy-dog ears and my wife gets a kick out of the curly tail.  Heck, I've come to appreciate the curly tail, as it is what our kids use to distinguish between the dogs in their crayon drawings.

I usually just think of him as a big, happy dog.  He's thicker than your usual American dobie, as he is 1/2 from German lines.  They are a stouter dog more geared to working than showing.  Some of the euro dobies get over 100lbs and exceed AKC conformation standards, weight & size-wise and are no good for show.  Most American dobies are a wee bit larger than GSPs (65-70 lbs for males).

At 8 or 10 Weeks:

Max as a pup:

More pup:

A few month back:

Same day:

Some evening a while back:

He's happiest when playing with the kids.  He weighs ~90lbs at 1 year, 7 months; 3X what my daughter weighs and over twice what my son weighs.  Nonetheless, he will obey their commands to come, move, sit, kennel up, etc.  He's the easiest to train dog I have ever encountered.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton