Author Topic: Nanny state strikes again - over walking 45 yards to the bus stop  (Read 807 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Nanny state strikes again - over walking 45 yards to the bus stop
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:22:55 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311556/Father-slams-council-bosses-threatening-action-walking-daughter-school-bus-stop-20m-away.html

Don't let your little girl cross the road: Council's threat to parents over seven-year-old's walk to school bus

Everybody's in a dither over 7-year old walking 45 yards to school bus stop by herself.  Parents threatened with child protective services action, which in (formerly)Great Britain may be the only thing with teeth rather than harsh words.

It gets more serious:
He and his partner, who received the letter last week, were also criticised for sending Isabelle to Normanby by Spital Primary School, two miles away, without a jumper.
  (A "jumper" in (f)GB is a sweater to us 'Muricans.)  Apparently it "turned nippy" later in the day.  Bad parents!  Failure to guess the weather better than the forecasters is no excuse!

When will the Brits say "Enough!"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Nanny state strikes again - over walking 45 yards to the bus stop
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
Is there something more to it than this? This is crazy stuff.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
it turned nippy?
dang japanese
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »
Tree+rope+bureaucrat.

Some assembly required.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »
Tar and feathering needs to be brought back. Or have them ride a wooden horse. Worked very well back in the day.  [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic