Author Topic: If they're so bent on dying for their faith, why do they keep hiding like wimps?  (Read 6341 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
"This is the second time in recent weeks a Taliban commander has been found hiding in an oven," said U.S. Army Col. Rafael Torres, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command Combined Joint Operations Center director. "Whether they hide in a cave or an oven, we're going to find the enemies of Afghanistan and secure peace for this country."

http://www.isaf.nato.int/article/isaf-releases/taliban-commander-found-hiding-in-floor-oven-in-logar.html

Proof once more of my theory that the Radical Islamists are cowards.

[Mods: as far as I understand, documents of this kind by the US government are allowed to be redistributed.]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
Notice how Taliban, Al-Quaeda, and other jihadi leaders never undertake suicide missions themselves? Dying in a suicide bombing is always an honor for SOMEONE ELSE to achieve . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
can you name any leaders of any stripe that take a dangerous mission?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz

Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Formerly sumpnz

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/

Teddy Roosevelt

Hutch

• friend
Jimmy Doolittle
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BridgeRunner

• friend

George Washington

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

If they're so bent on dying for their faith, why do they keep hiding like wimps?

In general? Because it's asymmetrical warfare. No point in standing in the open and being "brave" if a UAV just takes you out with a Hellfire.

I don't have to like it, but it's logical.

OTOH, in the actual specific instances of when they're cornered, and you might as well live your credo and go down shooting, there seems to be a lot of "bark and no bite" inherent in ME cultures.  The threats, the lying, the bravado, paranoia, and distrust of everyone, even your own "people" that are endemic in the culture also has a flip side of personal cowardice.

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
"This is the second time in recent weeks a Taliban commander has been found hiding in an oven,"

I'm thinking padlock and Self-Clean cycle.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I'm thinking padlock and Self-Clean cycle.

Brad

See I had thought just turn on the gas and leave him in there.

Your idea is far more imaginative.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
Don't need a padlock; there's a door interlock on the self-clean cycle.  HTH :D

(I couldn't figure out a gratuitous detcord reference that made any sense.)
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Gas? Ovens?

Ironic thread is suddenly ironic...
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Gas? Ovens?

Ironic thread is suddenly ironic...

I'm so glad I swallowed my water before I read that. Otherwise, I'd be explaining why I needed two new computer screens. Still almost choked.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Yes. A lieutenant colonel by name of Kurilla.
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/gates-of-fire.htm

Generally, the higher-ranking guys don't go to the front lines, for a lot of reasons. One, in the olden days before radio they needed to sit back a ways so as to watch the progress of the entire battle - so that they could send in reinforcements to units who needed 'em before said unit could ask for same. Another, weapons became much more accurate. According to Dave Grossman, soldiers who have some issues with killing enemy enlisted personnel have no qualms about shooting enemy officers. For another, some of these leaders are literally old men, who can't keep up with the 20-year-olds.
And finally, it's hard to create a powerpoint presentation in the middle of a firefight.  :P

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I'll come clean.  That's me, before logging on to DU one day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phantom Warrior

• friend
MB,

It's Benjamin Netanyahu, right?

Waitone

• friend
Most likely Netanyahu's brother who was killed on the Entebbe rescue 1976.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Thought it was a young Harrison Ford. You know, before Calista was born.  =|

Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

Lt. Gen. Chesty Puller

Lt Col Evans F. Carlson

Maj. Gen. Merritt A. "Red Mike" Edson  (MoH winner)

Major Kenneth D. Bailey (post. MoH winner)

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Most likely Netanyahu's brother who was killed on the Entebbe rescue 1976.

It's Bibi all right.

He followed his brother into Sayeret Matkal and even did some hostage-rescuing on his own in other incidents.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
He was a handsome guy when he was young. What happened? ;)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
George Armstrong Custer.    :O ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

I believe the question has been answered.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife