Author Topic: Deuce and a Half conversion to a highway semi? (Advice needed)  (Read 9920 times)

Sheng_Pao

Deuce and a Half conversion to a highway semi? (Advice needed)
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I had this question a while back that I posted on THR but I was rerouted here. I had some good answers, but I still want to measure the pros and cons with more insight.

I want to become an independant truck driver with my own rig and I am more than adequately competant with all power tools and equipment.

1. A Kenworth or something similar complete with living quarters is too expensive for beginners like me.

2. I am thinking about purchasing a deuce and a half M35 and rebuilding it from the frame up, using the original frame of course, and transforming it into a long distance heavy duty rig.

Is this feasible, and what laws apply? All help will be appreciated.
From the Steppes of Mongolia to the Highlands of Tibet
http://www.youtube.com/user/rachen30

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Deuce and a Half conversion to a highway semi? (Advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »
I know nothing of the trucking business... but my gut tells me DOT regulations are going to make this a near impossibility.

If this was a way to get into the independent trucking business with minimal capital outlay, or avoiding a lease payment etc. Someone would have done it already, and Deuce-and-a-halfs would be more expensive than they are.

Many states tightened up their regs, and they can't even be registered anymore except for parades, or off-road agri use.  I see guys on gun/mil forums bitching about that.

I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
I highly doubt that an M35A2 would be suitable for that kind of use.  It's too weak and slow.  And the gearing is all wrong. And it would eat you alive in fuel.  A deuce only does about 50-60 mph with a 7000lb load.  A normal semi trailer is 3 times (or more) that load, I'd be surprised if a deuce could even get it to highway speed.  Also an M35 is a 6X6 off road vehicle.  The gearing is designed for off/bad roads and it works really hard at highway speeds.

What you want is a surplus M915. But DRMO auctions are often a dice throw.  Be prepared to do some (a bunch after you tow it home) work to it. (prolly wouldn't need a frame off resto though)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
What you want is a surplus M915. But DRMO auctions are often a dice throw.  Be prepared to do some (a bunch after you tow it home) work to it. (prolly wouldn't need a frame off resto though)

Now THAT would make a great jumping off point for a "Zombie-squisher"!
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
How about leasing a used tractor?

http://www.thetruckersplace.com/how2Bowner.aspx
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
2. I am thinking about purchasing a deuce and a half M35 and rebuilding it from the frame up, using the original frame of course, and transforming it into a long distance heavy duty rig.

A full rebuild to DOT regs will make a lease look like the Dollar Menu at McD's.  Plus, you can get on the road right now with a lease.  If you build something you might save a few thou but every minute spent rebuilding and not driving is lost revenue.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 03:50:53 PM »
We have two M35s as fire fighting trucks.

Trust me, you do not want to do this.  First off, the M35 is just a medium duty truck not anywhere near equal to a semi-tractor in the first place.  However, I think one would be a blast as an oversize off-road pickup.  :cool:

If you are that handy with restoring trucks, you might be able to put one together from parts: a late model high mileage cab/frame mated to engine, tranny, and rear-ends parted out of other trucks.  Or just rebuild a real semi-tractor from the frame up.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
The deuce and a half will never make the emission standards.  Never.  I don't care how proficient you are with tools--you are not going to do it.  In fact, nothing on those vehicles will pass government standards.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I need to hammer that home.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
I highly doubt that an M35A2 would be suitable for that kind of use.  It's too weak and slow.

I've driven one and ridden in and on more than a few.  Emphasis added for truth. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
Slow for sure.   =(

We don't like to take ours out of the neighborhood if we can help it.  Usually get there after the fire is out  ;/

We have got one up to about 55mph, downhill and with a tailwind.  ;)

1000 gallons of water (about 8000 pounds) is overloaded.

It's really embarrassing to go down the hiway with your emergency lights on and all the other traffic is passing you  :facepalm:

Off road though, they are really good.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:48:23 PM »
I'm assuming you are already a trucker.

Used or leased rig. And that's only if you've got trucking experience. If you don't, sign on with one of the companies that takes on new drivers (most of them suck, of course) and get your experience. The trucking business right now is the pits, if you don't know.

No go on the conversion...

Let's put it this way...you ever see a NG unit on the move in your area to a field training exercise? They be breaking down all the time...trucks literally held together with bailing wire (I'd HATE to be in a combat zone running a convoy in one of those trucks). Milsurp equipment is almost always a poor choice at best for whatever use you envision for it. It's for playing around with on your time off, don't stake your earning on it.

Also, truckers carry 40K+ lbs of stuff in their trailers, easy...max weight of a rig is 80K, IIRC. No way a deuce and a half is going to tow that.

Sign up over at thetruckersreport.com for a good high traffic trucking forum and read up.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
Everyone else has pretty much covered the Military conversion angle. Don't.
Trucking can be a very hard life, and owning your own truck is about twice as hard. I take it you are not currently a truck driver (judging by your questions) so, my advice is, drive someone else's truck for a few years, then maybe think about owning your own. As for leasing a truck (which is not likely to happen without a few hundred thousand miles under your belt), I equate most leases with indentured servitude.

There is a lot more to owning a truck than just driving it. Last I knew, it was about $120 just for an oil change. That is just for a start and the costs only go up from there. If you do most of your own maintenance, you spend most of your "free" time doing maintenance. Any truck you buy or lease is going to break, and it will be expensive. Even if you buy a brand new truck with a warranty, down time is expensive. Wheels that are turnin', are wheels that are earnin'.

You do not own the truck, it owns you.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »
The deuce and a half will never make the emission standards.  Never.  I don't care how proficient you are with tools--you are not going to do it.  In fact, nothing on those vehicles will pass government standards.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I need to hammer that home.

Mine passed. Once. 20% max opacity allowed, and it blew 19% during emissions testing. Got the collector plates so I'll never have to go through emissions testing again.  :lol:

Just to jump on the bandwagon, you're pondering converting a truck designed to carry a maximum of 10,000 lbs in the bed and tow another 10,000 while driving on hardball (halve those numbers if leaving the pavement). No where near what you need for a semi-tractor.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
The bottom is out of the used truck market. Try to find a late model one from a large fleet that is somewhat recent on the engine overhaul. These things go at auction, in road-worthy condition, for less than all the shiny diesel pick-ups that Jimbob and Billyjoe like to smoke around town in. Then again, my wife's mercedes is cheaper than those pick-ups too, so maybe I am making several points.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.