Author Topic: Round 1: Homeowner 1 - HOA 0  (Read 2826 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Round 1: Homeowner 1 - HOA 0
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:39:58 AM »
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2010/sep/22/romi22-ar-518161/

A Chesterfield County Circuit Court judge has found in favor of Romito, who sued his neighborhood's homeowners association claiming he shouldn't be forced to pay membership dues because he never wanted to be a member.

In his ruling, Judge Herbert C. Gill Jr. affirmed that, noting that the dues were not in place 20 years ago when Romito purchased his home in Bexley -- an upscale Chesterfield community of 407 homes built in the 1970s.

"To say a taxpaying citizen could buy a home and then be forced to incur financial obligations without prior notice is simply unjust," Gill wrote in the ruling.

Guy bought his home 20 years ago, before the HOA decided to start collecting annual "dues".  Additionally, the "dues" go mainly towards upkeep of the lake to which Romito and others without lakeshore property has limited access.

Asked whether he planned to appeal the ruling, Bexley Association attorney N. Leslie Saunders Jr. said: "It's too early to decide.

Judge finds that being assessed money you never agreed to be assessed, that goes towards projects you derive little benefit from (and certainly not in proportion to the amount you pay), is a violation of the contract between the homeowner and the HOA.

Round 1 gives me some hope that the tide is turning.  We'll see if the HOA decides to push for Round 2.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Round 1: Homeowner 1 - HOA 0
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:11 AM »
The HOA will probably try for round 2 because they are using other people's money...
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
The HOA will probably try for round 2 because they are using other people's money...
This and people trolling for settlements is IMO a big part of what is wrong with our civil justice system.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
Judge finds that being assessed money you never agreed to be assessed, that goes towards projects you derive little benefit from (and certainly not in proportion to the amount you pay), is a violation of the contract between the homeowner and the HOA.

Does that mean that I can use this as precedent to fight income taxes, since they go for projects like welfare, that I derive little benefit from (and certainly not in proportion to the amount I pay), which is a violation of the contract between me and the FedGov?

Hey, I can dream...
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Does that mean that I can use this as precedent to fight income taxes, since they go for projects like welfare, that I derive little benefit from (and certainly not in proportion to the amount I pay), which is a violation of the contract between me and the FedGov?

Hey, I can dream...

HOA != government.

Government is free to impose obligations on you under the Sixteenth Amendment on your income.  Other provisions allow other forms of taxes.

=|

One thing I never understood.  Why it is justified for the government to do something that is forbidden to an individual or collection of individuals?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »

One thing I never understood.  Why it is justified for the government to do something that is forbidden to an individual or collection of individuals?

Compulsion and monopoly of force.

Only Government has the power to compel.

Private contractual law has no power to compel, and it's the only base of law with which individuals and corporations have to broker agreements with one another.  By its very nature, one must agree to a contract.

There is no distinct agreement that you enter into with your relationship to the Government.  You are compelled to enter into agreement with it via the monopoly of force.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
One thing I never understood.  Why it is justified for the government to do something that is forbidden to an individual or collection of individuals?
The people delegated authority to government to do those things.

It has nothing to do with monopoly on force.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
Private contractual law has no power to compel, and it's the only base of law with which individuals and corporations have to broker agreements with one another.  By its very nature, one must agree to a contract.

Even further, under US Law, one is free not to abide by an entered contract: as long as the stipulated damages are paid, or the damages as accessed by an agreed arbiter or court.  Being legally able to break a contract is a feature of our free society, economic mobility and whatnot.  

Aside from fraud [entering the contract with an intent to break it] the only consequences are economic and social.  As much as the folks on the other side of the contract would prefer otherwise...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

What are you, some sort of anti-authoritarian anarchist ?   :police:

(me, too  ;) )

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »

What people?  Not me - all they did was tell me how it was going to be in the pubic skool day camps :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »

You mean, the government delegated authority to the government to do those things.

...that's not at all true.  Stop paying your mortgage, the bank "repossesses" your house, which involves papers, credit ratings, etc.  If you don't play nice and leave, they call the government(the cops) to remove you - they don't have some private army to compel you.
The only entity which can legally *initiate* a forcible encounter in the US is the government.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »

Precedent.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
Precedent.

Is it a bad sign when I find that legitimately funny?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
Is it a bad sign when I find that legitimately funny?

Yes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
What are you, some sort of anti-authoritarian anarchist ?   :police:

Is there any other kind? Somehow, the concept of an authoritarian anarchist makes my little brain hurt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 01:23:22 AM »
most self proclaimed anarchist are actually liberals with pierced genitals and torn jeans, and are totalitarian and authoritarian.

Their heads explode when I tell them that I'm an anarchist, thats why I'm pro life and vote mostly conservative
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »
Wait.
As I read the article, the HOA was formed before he bought the house.  Yes, it was a duesless HOA, but....
An HOA has governing articles.  Generally, those articles should give the HOA the ability to restructure with majority votes, including collection of dues.
I smell judicial activist fail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
As I read the article, the HOA was formed before he bought the house.  Yes, it was a duesless HOA, but....

I don't think so.

Historically, there were 17 sections. Each section had covenants.  Dues were only a part of two of these (in the rest, dues were "voluntary" iow, not a part of the covenant).  In 2009, the sections voted to created a unified "covenant"-aka-hoa and impose mandatory dues.

Now, to be fair, I have not looked at this body of law in detail in about three years, but I'm pretty sure it's established law that you can't do that.  The previous covenants could certainly vote to unify for various functions, but they cannot transform the entire nature of the covenant including change the membership and rules and create a new entity and still require participation from prior landowners. 

It didn't convert from non-dues paying hoa into a dues-requiring hoa.  It converted from seventeen neighborhood covenants into one dues-requiring hoa.