Author Topic: Make new laws and they will come  (Read 938 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Make new laws and they will come
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:00:26 AM »
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/22/nottgat22-ar-518730/

The number of Virginia criminals labeled "sexually violent predators" is growing at such a rate that it's straining the capacity of a two-year-old facility built to hold them after they finish serving their sentences.

The newspaper opines
The growth in the civil-commitment population appears to be linked to the expansion in 2006 from four crimes defined as sexualy violent to 28 offenses.

For the record, here are the offenses: "Sexually violent offense" means a felony under (i) former § 18-54, former § 18.1-44, subdivision 5 of § 18.2-31, § 18.2-61, 18.2-67.1, or 18.2-67.2; (ii) § 18.2-48 (ii), 18.2-48 (iii), 18.2-63, 18.2-64.1, or 18.2-67.3; (iii) subdivision 1 of § 18.2-31 where the abduction was committed with intent to defile the victim; (iv) § 18.2-32 when the killing was in the commission of, or attempt to commit rape, forcible sodomy, or inanimate or animate object sexual penetration; (v) the laws of the Commonwealth for a forcible sexual offense committed prior to July 1, 1981, where the criminal behavior is set forth in § 18.2-67.1 or 18.2-67.2, or is set forth in § 18.2-67.3; or (vi) conspiracy to commit or attempt to commit any of the above offenses.

"Sexually violent predator" means any person who (i) has been convicted of a sexually violent offense, or has been charged with a sexually violent offense and is unrestorably incompetent to stand trial pursuant to § 19.2-169.3; and (ii) because of a mental abnormality or personality disorder, finds it difficult to control his predatory behavior, which makes him likely to engage in sexually violent acts.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Make new laws and they will come
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
We don't know how this happens.   ;/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
The number of Virginia criminals labeled "sexually violent predators" is growing at such a rate that it's straining the capacity of a two-year-old facility built to hold them after they finish serving their sentences.

Wait, wait.  They're finished their sentences, but they still have to stay where the state puts them?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Wait, wait.  They're finished their sentences, but they still have to stay where the state puts them?

Yep, cause they're crazy you see, why? Cause the state said so of course!
Look, tiny text!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »
I believe in long-term incarceration for violent rapists, child molesters, and similar sex offenders. (Actually, in many cases I'd prefer to simply put them down.)

But that should be done by sentencing . . . keeping people locked up after serving their full sentence is so much bovine excrement.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain