Author Topic: Considering buying a camera...  (Read 2681 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Considering buying a camera...
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
Friend of mine is selling a camera. Nikon D3000 with a 18-55DX lens. Good, meh, or bad?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Considering buying a camera...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »
Good lens for pictures indoors. You would want to pick up a 60 - 210 zoom or better for longer shots. Nikon makes some good cameras but I am not familiar with this particular one.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
The "55" is the zoom? I'm guessing the "18" is the width of the lense? ???
Never owned an SLR camera before. :P
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
18-55 is the zoom range of the lens. Multiply by 1.5 for that camera, so ~28-80 or thereabouts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
18-55 is the zoom range of the lens. Multiply by 1.5 for that camera, so ~28-80 or thereabouts.
Ah, gotcha.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:20:52 PM »
The 18 is considered a mild "wide angle" setting and 55 is close to what the eye sees naturally and would be the "standard" view. A 60 to 210 lens goes from just above "natural" to a fairly good level of magnification. At 210 or so you can get steady enough to take pictures without needing a tripod to prevent blurring from movement of the lens.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
Looking at http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3000/ I see it is a 10 megapixel auto-focus with manual over-ride capability and it does take interchangeable lenses so I would say it is a very good camera and well above an entry grade digital. NOTE: Additional lenses will NOT be cheap!
MOLON LABE!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
NOTE: Additional lenses will NOT be cheap!

But the 18-55 lens will suffice until he can get more/better glass.

The D3000 is Nikon's equivalent to the Canon Rebel XS, and both are entry level DSLRs. They make very good first time DSLR cameras. I'll add that I cannot stand using point and shoot (i.e., "normal" digital cameras). The compact DSLRs provide better "usability" for me in terms of function, ergonomics, and especially battery life.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:43:50 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
But the 18-55 lens will suffice until he can get more/better glass.
Agreed.
MOLON LABE!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
for people not lucking into a setup. as always, don't forget to look at pentax. >:D

other then not being able to get some specialty lenses, and no lens rentals. you don't miss much and can take some really nice pics. and ANY old pentax lenses will work(you might have to do some work to use them though) on the dSLR. =D

at least through the K10d, let me find the chart... link i love me some old lenses. [popcorn]

wouldn't trade my K10d for less then a pain free existence. :angel:

oh, and 210 is still a little short for birding. i have the sigma 70-300, it's crap inside but outside anything more than over cast and it's worth dragging it's weight around for. =D

oh and if the 18-55 is fixed aperture it's a really good lens, variable is what i have. it's ok but at 55mm the aperture is to high(opening to small) to take a really good portrait. :facepalm:

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:34:56 PM »
for people not lucking into a setup. as always, don't forget to look at pentax. >:D

other then not being able to get some specialty lenses, and no lens rentals. you don't miss much and can take some really nice pics. and ANY old pentax lenses will work(you might have to do some work to use them though) on the dSLR. =D

at least through the K10d, let me find the chart... link i love me some old lenses. [popcorn]

wouldn't trade my K10d for less then a pain free existence. :angel:

New Kx owner here. Love it. HDR capable. Already had a couple of film manual lenses.
Live View. Pentax makes good equipment.

oh, and 210 is still a little short for birding. i have the sigma 70-300, it's crap inside but outside anything more than over cast and it's worth dragging it's weight around for. =D

oh and if the 18-55 is fixed aperture it's a really good lens, variable is what i have. it's ok but at 55mm the aperture is to high(opening to small) to take a really good portrait. :facepalm: