Author Topic: Any plumbers in the house?  (Read 1220 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Any plumbers in the house?
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I need to have the major plumbing fixtures moved around just a bit.  I got a coupla estimates from local plumbers and was shocked by how much they wanted for the job.

Can anyone guestimate how much this should cost? 

Specifically, I need to move a toilet, shower, and vanity sink.  Each one moves no more than 2 or 3 feet from it's original location.  Access will be no problem as the room will be completely torn down to bare studs and open floor trusses.  No need for new supply, drain, or vent lines, as the existing main lines all seem perfectly adequate.  I'll provide all of the fixtures, I just need the plumber to relocate the pipes a bit.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Any plumbers in the house?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
if i was subbing it to a plumber it would be around 2 k  plus or minus 500 depending on the details.its important to get the plumbing right before you close up walls and floors. if you lived closer i could find you someone cheap but you have to be real careful with plumbers
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »
Spend the money for a good plumber.

You don't want that crap leakin!

=D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
Plumbers do a job that IMHO isn't easy to do well and frankly sucks.

As a former HVAC/R guy who has done a fair bit of plumbing I say, get a couple estimates, find a good one with references and pay the man.

I could do a decent job myself, at half the speed if even that fast.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
If your drains are already PVC this should not be that hard even for a novice. Go to one of the box stores and pick up an idiots guide to plumbing.

I'm rather good at plumbing and don't fear it at all.

Now cast iron and lead drain pipe I will tear out to the street and start from scratch. (the nuke it from orbit mentality I guess)
If you have copper drain lines you can just saw it off easily and adapt to PVC. I would not recommend trying to learn how to solder 2-4" copper drain pipes in your own house. Its a lot harder than water lines and you need a lot of heat from an Acetylene torch to do it well. Plus the prices of those big copper fittings will cost more than the rest of the bathroom.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Spend the money for a good plumber.

You don't want that crap leakin!

=D

Literal Man is literal.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
what part of the country?  with plumbing its not what you do you get paid for its what you know  and it makes a difference.  beware the new construction guy who is doing remodel work because works slow.  very different animals needed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Rework like that can be a real pain.  I'm not terribly surprised it's expensive.

Pressurized lines aren't real hard to reroute here, there, and everywhere; but unpressurized drain lines have to have a certain pitch during horizontal runs.

If, for instance, there were a tub drain on the second floor that went straight down an inside wall to the basement, moving that sucker would be a PITA.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »
vent lines can be a surprising pain too.  and most folks don't realize that too steep a pitch is just as bad as too lil pitch.  gotta try to use sweeps instead of 90's  sometimes get tricky.  now the supply side with pex and shark bites is getting better everyday

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
Not helpful, but I'm burningly curious as to why moving the fixtures two or three feet is necessary.  Question mark.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
I'm going to have to move a couple drains in my basement bathroom several feet, due to horrific design/layout by whoever built the house. I'll be doing it myself as it's really the only option for me financially, as I would expect quotes in the coupla-thousand-range.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
I do most work around the house myself - painting, carpentry, electrical, etc. . . .

But except for the simplest tasks (replacing a toilet ballcock valve or rebuilding a faucet) plumbing and I just don't get along . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain