Author Topic: It's Alive! (Or, Adventures in Zymurgy)  (Read 1195 times)

SADShooter

• friend
It's Alive! (Or, Adventures in Zymurgy)
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »
After a multi-year hiatus I've resumed homebrewing. Sanitized my equipment and cooked up a mini-mash Negra Modelo lager clone on Saturday afternoon. Watched the airlock nervously on Sunday and...nothing. :O Gave the wort a stir last night, and arose to bubbles this morning. =D A high gravity stout is next, then a Dortmunder Export clone.

I'm going to get a few more batches under my belt (figuratively and literally =)) and early next year I'm thinking I'll join the meadmaking fraternity.

Thanks for reading

(edit for space-out)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:14:09 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: It's Alive! (Or, Adventures in Zymurgy)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
I have a batch of mead that I'm about ready to bottle.  About 6 gallons.

This was a mesquite-honey that I spiced with cinnamon and anise for the first month in my primary.  I have it in two glass carboys as secondaries right now, and I really should rack it one more time to eliminate some of the sediment prior to bottling.

I used a champagne yeast (very aggressive, tends to make a dry mead) like the first batch I made a couple years ago, but that was starthistle honey.  I think it had a higher sugar content than the mesquite honey, because it brewed up much stronger and dryer.  Too dry to many of the folks who drank it.  I didn't measure it but I think I was somewhere around 16% alcohol by volume.  A lot more kick than most wines.

This batch will probably be in the low teens, or maybe even 11-12 percent. 

I have yet to try any beers.  Once I clean my gear, I may venture into beer brewing next.  Lord knows I'll have enough mead for a year or so.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »
I enjoy dessert wines, so I'll probably start with a traditional sweet or perhaps a metheglin. Cinnamon/anise sounds like an interesting combination.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:30:09 PM »
OK. Got home to active fermentation in the fridge, but it smells a little funny. I used a yeast fuel, so it could be that, but it smells like it may be contaminated. I'll taste it before I rack it into the secondary, hoping for the best.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
Hobbes once played Zymurgy on a triple word score.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »
I've got three carboys of mead going downstairs right now.

One's a straight for a friend's wedding.

One's a blueberry melomel suggested as an experiment by another friend: should be ready to bottle in a week or two. Running at 12% last time I checked it, but tastes like blueberry juice.

Third's an apple/cherry suggested by Rev. That's got some more time to go, but already tastes good...

Next one I try is going to be a sack mead, using montrecet yeast (been using cote de blanc). Going for a mead that will not only knock the fly off the wall, but will get the wall itself, too...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
Yet one more reason I'm so sad the house we bought doesn't have a basement.   Garage is too hot/cold/hot/cold to brew my own, and the Mrs. doesn't want a carboy (or three) sitting around the house....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
Make your first batch at a friend's. When she tastes the result, there won't be any argument about a carboy or three around the house...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »
AD, I lager in a small chest freezer, out of sight, not that I have to impress anyone. Just find a tall end table or something you can throw a cloth over and store fermenters under it. Then you can tell guests not to worry about the smell, it's just that sometimes SWMBO's cooking doesn't agree with you... =D

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
I'm drinking - and sharing - a batch of American Light Ale from a partial mash recipe. It is, in a word, Yummy!

The previous batches have been just a little under-carbonated for my liking, so I added a bit more priming sugar this time. It made a big difference!

As have the rest of my beers (ales, that is), this one suffers a chill haze, so I gotta do something about that next time.

I have a beat-up refrigerator in the basement, so can now start making some decent lager brews.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
JonnyB, how do you cool your wort?