Author Topic: Sea Cruising With Spam  (Read 3351 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sea Cruising With Spam
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
Given that there were no reported injuries or deaths, if I took a cruise, I think this would be kind of a fun thing to happen, especially if I got a 2nd cruise for free out of the deal.  :laugh:

It's interesting though, that apparently cruise ships don't keep stocks of non-perishables onboard as emergency supplies? I realize it would take up a lot of space given the passenger count, but what if something like this happened much farther from shore and from help?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/09/tugboat-reaches-ship-stranded-mexico/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Sea Cruising With Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
I betcha the booze is free for the rest of the cruise.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »
Local news said they were " . . . being assisted by a battleship."

I guess those mobile landing fields the Navy uses are now "battleships."  (Apparently some 25 pallets of supplies came off a carrier.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
Pop tarts and spam, does it get any better? It's interesting to note that I don't recall EVER seeing either spam OR poptarts served at any time EVER when I was in. Now I'm jealous.  =(

To be honest, I'd love to know exactly what it was that goes wrong to completely disable a ship that size. You'd think they'd have a few diesel generators stashed around here and there in case they lost the mains. Wierd.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
It is kind of weird that a fire would take out all power. Maybe the engine room fire took out the main electrical bus. I am sure the designers of future cruise ships look at this incident during designing from now on.

bob

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
Pop tarts and spam, does it get any better? It's interesting to note that I don't recall EVER seeing either spam OR poptarts served at any time EVER when I was in. Now I'm jealous.  =(

To be honest, I'd love to know exactly what it was that goes wrong to completely disable a ship that size. You'd think they'd have a few diesel generators stashed around here and there in case they lost the mains. Wierd.

We had a form of Spam quite often. I don't know if it was the real SPAM. It kind of tasted like it,  but it was in approx 4" squares.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Local news said they were " . . . being assisted by a battleship."

I guess those mobile landing fields the Navy uses are now "battleships."  (Apparently some 25 pallets of supplies came off a carrier.)

Heh, humorously enough, to get around a treaty prohibiting them from  sailing carriers through the Turkish Straights, the Soviet's reclassified their carrier as a "heavy aircraft carrying battle cruiser."  :lol:

Pop tarts and spam, does it get any better? It's interesting to note that I don't recall EVER seeing either spam OR poptarts served at any time EVER when I was in. Now I'm jealous.  =(

They had backup generators and they were working, but those wont turn the screws, or produce enough power to run everything, just enough for basic systems (electric fire and potable water pumps, radios, etc.). There is a pretty huge power disparity between main engines and backups, so even if it was a turbo-electric design instead of directly geared (anybody know which?), it likely still wouldn't have been able to propel itself on backups. IIRC my ship's boiler plant could produce something on the order of a about a hundred MW, while the huge backup diesels could produce only a few tens of KW.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
My boss is on a cruise this week. I was hoping he was on that ship, but no joy.  =(  ;)

He called a co-worker today, and he is in Barbados. He didn't know about that other boat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
I'd just figure theyd have a few extra generator sets specifically for refrigeration and cooking. Maybe the new ones will after this.  =D

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »
I'd just figure theyd have a few extra generator sets specifically for refrigeration and cooking. Maybe the new ones will after this.  =D

Meh, civi ship. They figured they could just call for help if something went wrong. And they did.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »

That was the first thought I had, since they obviously have tons of food onboard -- you'd think they could divert enough genny power to keep at least one reefer going so the tourists can have Baked Alaska survival rations.  :laugh:

I'm guessing they, as KGB pointed out earlier, may only have limited backup power. I guess they chose to keep the toilets flushing instead of preserving the perishables.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
Yup, pretty much. Seems dumb to me though.  =|

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. You don't need 'lectric to play shuffleboard.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »

Key Data:
Order Year
Project Type
Cruise ship
Estimated Investment
$750m
Completion
Launched July 2008
Key Players:
Sponsor
Carnival Cruise Corp
Contractors
Fincantieri Navalia SPA
Deadweight
113,000t
Propulsion
Six Wartsila diesels (diesel electric)
Dimensions
Overall length 290m, a beam of 35.5m and a draft of 8.2m
The vessel has an overall length of 290m, a beam of 35.5m and a draft of 8.2m. The 14-deck ship is diesel-electric powered using six Wartsila diesel engines and has a power output of 63,400kW allowing it to make 22kt.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
The vessel has an overall length of 290m, a beam of 35.5m and a draft of 8.2m. The 14-deck ship is diesel-electric powered using six Wartsila diesel engines and has a power output of 63,400kW allowing it to make 22kt.

Interesting. Now I'm curious if they bothered to compartmentalize the 6 engines so a fire in one wouldn't affect the others. Find any blueprints of the machinery spaces?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »
Interesting. Now I'm curious if they bothered to compartmentalize the 6 engines so a fire in one wouldn't affect the others. Find any blueprints of the machinery spaces?

That was the best i could find. I bet they keep a lot of that secret because of the competition.
Leak the drawings and the Chinese will be knocking of the ship for half the price of construction.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. You don't need 'lectric to play shuffleboard.  =)

But it helps when you need a/c to sleep in your cabin at night or pumps to provide water for sinks and toilets....I don't think you can open a porthole anymore....

If I'm a passenger on that ship, my next cruise is going to be to an island of lawyers....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
If I'm a passenger on that ship, my next cruise is going to be to an island of lawyers....

It doesn't exist anymore, lawyer island was used for an H-Bomb test in the 50's

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
=D  Yeay!!!!  We did something right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »

So Castle Bravo wasn't an accident?  =D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:04:38 AM by kgbsquirrel »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
Given that there were no reported injuries or deaths, if I took a cruise, I think this would be kind of a fun thing to happen, especially if I got a 2nd cruise for free out of the deal.
The whole mexican swine flu outbreak happened the day before I had to fly out of  Cancun airport to go back home. I was really hoping to be 'quarantined' back at the resort for another week or two. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
I figured it out. Less generator spaces means more cabins.  ;)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »
I figured it out. Less generator spaces means more cabins.  ;)

And if they took out all those rows of lifeboats, the decks will be more open and the passengers will get a much better view! :cool:

Hey, it worked on the R.M.S. Titanic ......  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »

And if they took out all those rows of lifeboats, the decks will be more open and the passengers will get a much better view! :cool:

Hey, it worked on the R.M.S. Titanic ......  [tinfoil]
yes, but only once.  =D

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »
Oars?  Really long ones? Drumbeaters for rowing cadence?

I'd love to see a cartoon like that.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.