Author Topic: domain name registrars  (Read 6518 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
domain name registrars
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »

Any you highly recommend from personal experience?

I use a slightly no-name that has historically (near a decade) been pretty good to me, but their prices are creeping up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: domain name registrars
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
Any you highly recommend from personal experience?

I use a slightly no-name that has historically (near a decade) been pretty good to me, but their prices are creeping up.

I use Go Daddy.  I don't use any of their services or hosting, I pretty mush set the nameservers for the domain to my nameservers, enable the auto-renew, and I am done with them.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
ditto on Godaddy.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

What do you recommend about them?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
What do you recommend about them?

What's not to like?  They've got hot wimmins in their ads!  That's all I need.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
harold just turned me on to www.geovario.com seems ok
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
harold just turned me on to www.geovario.com seems ok

As I recall, Ben Cannon is related to that company.  I'd wait and see before I'd use it. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
I've pretty much used the hosting company as registrar, as it keeps everything in the same place. When I change hosts (which I hope I won't have to do ever again), I move the domain name. The last time I was forced to, as the owner of the hosting company was trying to steal my domain name.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
I've pretty much used the hosting company as registrar, as it keeps everything in the same place. When I change hosts (which I hope I won't have to do ever again), I move the domain name. The last time I was forced to, as the owner of the hosting company was trying to steal my domain name.

I have never done so and never will keep my registrar at the same location as my hosting.  Virtually no upside, and way too many downsides.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 07:09:13 AM »
As I recall, Ben Cannon is related to that company.  I'd wait and see before I'd use it.  
Who is ben Cannon?
I have never done so and never will keep my registrar at the same location as my hosting.  Virtually no upside, and way too many downsides.
Why?
The last time I was forced to, as the owner of the hosting company was trying to steal my domain name.
Just ransomed mine back from a pirate myself. I told the SOB either take half of his exorbinant bill or keep the domains and go eff himself. He went for it. I imanaged not to get singed too bad in the end but what a PITA. As a matter of fact, now that that's all cleared up I'll get you the coordinates for his house and maybe you could arrange for a couple of rounds to "accidentally" drop there for me.  ;)

I was talking to somone I know that knows him but not quite as well as I do, now, she says, "Yea, I got the feeling he was some kind of sleaze."  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:12:22 AM by 280plus »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:01:53 AM »
Who is ben Cannon?
GPal, etc

Why?
This
 |
 |
\|/
Just ransomed mine back from a pirate myself. I told the SOB either take half of his exorbinant bill or keep the domains and go eff himself. He went for it. I imanaged not to get singed too bad in the end but what a PITA. As a matter of fact, now that that's all cleared up I'll get you the coordinates for his house and maybe you could arrange for a couple of rounds to "accidentally" drop there for me.  ;)

Basically, keeping your domain registered with an uninterested third party protects you from things such as the above scenario.
For example: When you had the pirate create your website for you, he registered your domain name in his name (much like the thr.org debacle).  What you should have done was register your domain name yourself, and then asked your host how to make your domain work with his server
Contrast that with how I (as a web developer and host) handle domain registrations: When someone who doesn't already have a domain name wants a site, I walk them through registering (on GoDaddy) themselves.  In rare occasions where the customer simply does not want to or can not (like my balloonist customer who doesn't even own a computer), I will register the domain under my godaddy account, but I will list the customer's contact info as the "Administrative Contact" on the domain, which gives them ultimate control over the domain, since they could then snatch it out of my godaddy account in the future without my consent.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
What you should have done was register your domain name yourself, and then asked your host how to make your domain work with his server
Yes, this was the lesson learned while dealing with Bob the Pirate. I call him Bob because he insists on being called "Robert".  :lol:

So,,,do we feel my domains are safe/not safe at geovario? Should I move them yet again?

Should we be hosted elsewhere? if so, where?

Note of reference, I'm only slightly more savvy that your buddy without the computer however I am trying to learn . =D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »
Yes, this was the lesson learned while dealing with Bob the Pirate. I call him Bob because he insists on being called "Robert".  :lol:

So,,,do we feel my domains are safe/not safe at geovario? Should I move them yet again?

Note of reference, I'm only slightly more savvy that your buddy without the computer however I am trying to learn . =D

I don't know anything about Geovario, was just answering as to who Ben Cannon is.

As long as your domain name's administrative contact is you, you have the ultimate control and can reclaim the domain under a different registrar.  As long as you don't change the domain's nameserver entries, your site will continue to work just fine when you "transfer" it to a new registrar.

I didn't mean to attack your savviness by saying "what you should have done. . .", I'm sure you are more savvy than the guy with no computer.
PS. he's no joke though, he mails me printouts of his site with corrections made in pen, I make changes, print it back out, and mail back the new printouts with my invoice.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »

Excellent resource from tyme!

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1766439

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
In the case of my previous hosting company, I was doing some search engine optimization work for him on a freelance basis. He and I had a disagreement as to the value of my services as they related to the value of the hosting he was giving me in exchange. (He thought my work was worth 1/2 to 1/4 of the going rate, while his hosting was worth 4X what I'm paying now).

When my domain name came up for renewal, he changed the name of the registrant to that of his company, effectively holding my domain name (which is very, very important to me) hostage. I managed to con him into thinking I was still a loyal subcontractor, got him to change the domain registration, then ran like hell.

Y'know, RevDisk, I think you're right. :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »

Looks like name.com is winning, by a landslide, at the moment for "RD Evil Networking DNS Provider of Choice" bidding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/namecom

Their corporate photo gallery (NOT advertising) includes beer, attractive women and zombies.  Sorry, it's gonna be hard to beat that.  Their CTO has some mad skillz, judging from his blog. 

At this point, it's looking like I'd rather stab myself with a rusty scalpel coated in sulfuric acid rather than go with GoDaddy, which has been pushed by many folks all over the place but I've always been very wary.  I'll trust goofy photos of obvious geeks drinking beer and coding over "slick" advertisement of random models who obviously are just supposed to be eye candy. 

Can't say I endorse them until after I do my migration.  We'll see probably some time this weekend. 

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
holy cow, another company that has beer Friday's!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »
Who is ben Cannon?

He's probably facing significant legal attention for the next several years after running GPal into the ground in a possibly criminal manner.

Edited.  Apparently, he's been disassociated from the company for a year.

Why?

I was talking to somone I know that knows him but not quite as well as I do, now, she says, "Yea, I got the feeling he was some kind of sleaze."  :laugh:

What is the upside to using the same provider for both is "ease of use".  You're only saving five minutes of labor.  If you set your domains to auto-renew or buy for insanely long periods of time, it's five minutes every X years.  The downsides is exactly what you experienced.  Your hosting provider has you completely at their mercy.

Suppose you have a disagreement with the provider or they go under, and you are shut out.  With one stop-shop hosting+domain, you're screwed.  With seperate providers, you shrug, open an account at a new hosting company, upload your files, and update your DNS entry.  One is disaster, the other is 10-20 minutes of work.  

I'm not overly worried about someone hijacking my domains.  Folks have tried in the past.  *gigglesnort*  That didn't work out so well.  But yes, it used to be awesomely easy.  Not that I ever did so, of course.  It's theoretically slightly more difficult these days unless you're a registrar.  

You and Monkeyleg are perfect examples.  Save yourself some money and some liability, go with a third party registrar.  

280, I'd be glad to help ya out if you need help setting it all up proper.  Actually, now that I think about it, Nick?  Mind looking into this for Oleg and make sure he's doing this already?  Considering that the THR issue boils down to this (with some wrinkles), it's something he should keep in mind.  

Update - Apparently GeoVario asked Ben Cannon to "disassociate" from their company a year ago.  So there you go.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:10:45 PM by RevDisk »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
I didn't mean to attack your savviness by saying "what you should have done. . .",
I wasn't feeling attacked by any means, I was just telling it like it is. As in I'm reading and appreciating but I'm not totally up to speed. So right now I have 1 domain "parked" is it? and hosted at one site Doteasy.com and 3 domain names but no hosting anywhere at this point, I don't think. HT is developing the site for me so I'll lead him here and see where we end up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
BAck in the saddle again

I recommended GeoVario last Spring & 280 already has the URLs registered

We can keep or toss the host based upon performance, but they seem pretty robust

I do my registrations via GoDaddy or Dotster
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
BAck in the saddle again
Yeeeeehaaaaw!!  =D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
Just registered a new domain on name.com

I'll be transferring all (30-something) of my domains to them and dropping GoDaddy as they expire.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
I register mine through Network Solutions.  Costs a bit more but they are all mine and, to my knowledge, they don't sell my info like a lot of the low-cost registrars do.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
I hear Derek Zeanah over at WellBuiltNetworks.com will treat you just fine and honor all your IP rights to domain names and hosted content.   [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »

I ain't hardly no ex-spurt with these here compooter thingies, but I have been around the block more than twice. Oleg's problems with THR should serve as an example for all. There is no reason NOT to register your domain yourself. That way, you own it, you know you own it, and the whole Internet knows you own it. Domain registration, as I understand it, is unrelated to hosting. When you go through a hosting site, they're just charging you a fee to go to the domain registry and do for you what you could do yourself -- except that, when they do it, you don't know what they did.

I noticed you are now hosted on Geovario and I wondered why you would do that ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design