Author Topic: Anyone know about coyotes?  (Read 9530 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Anyone know about coyotes?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »
Take a roadrunner along on your walks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 12:21:03 AM »
my lab husky mix hates em too. goes nuts  scares me now shes too old to handle em  shes killed 5 i know of and finished off a couple more that i started. it was her and my border collie lab mix together. the lil one would face em and distract em when minnie mouse would hit em going full speed roll em and rip out their throats. I lived in fear of her getting out and trying on too many at once.It was freaky for my wife to see he lil baby dog get all primal and then when we get home that same critter wanted to lay down with the baby. My pony was hard on yotes too  found what was left of one in the barn one nite
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
I'd guess their willingness to come close to humans is a function of how hungry they are? The hungrier they are the closer they may be willing to get in hopes of some kind of meal. Problem with coyotes is even if you kill them they somehow magically adjust their biological clocks and have just the right number of pups in their litters to maintain a balance of food to population. So, as soon as you kill a few a couple more extras are on the way to take their place. I was hunting them around here in thoughts of culling them but as soon as I learned that little tidbit it became, "Why bother?" Now if they're not bothering me I don't bother them. They keep the rodents down anyways.

I have no stock or anything to worry about, just the dog. Yea, he's a wuss, he'd be chow in about 10 seconds. Unless he surprises us all. He might, for all his wussiness he likes to growl at me when I reach in to close the kid's door in the morning after he's been out. He sleeps with her in her bed. I get the distinct feeling he'd stand and protect her if a stranger walked in and tried to mess with her. He's a black lab/pit cross. He's actually a strong tough dog. He can run like hell and drag you wherever he wants to but in his brain he's just a wimp. SMART dog but no you know whats. Figuratively AND literally.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:28 AM »
Take a roadrunner along on your walks.
Or a gator!  ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
They didn't attack, and I don't eat dog. :)

Yeah, but the crows do ;)

Or you can hang up the carcass somewhere strategic.  They say that the body keeps live coyotes away.  I shot one last fall and dragged it to the rimrock right above our chicken house, but it is pretty well eaten/rotted away now.  I need to refresh it, I guess  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
I'm in the same position, and I've wondered the same thing....but I have two small dogs (20 lbs), and I've never seen a coyote not running in the opposite direction from us as fast as they can. 
Funny story though -I was walking one of the dogs last year, when a helicopter flew very low over the woods by my house (and right over me and the dog).  I looked down to see if the dog was scared and there was a a tiny little fox huddled up next to him.  Evidently, the chopper had scared the fox, and he was joining up with the pack.  We looked at each other and then he took off like a bandit.  Pretty funny though -like something out of a Disney tale.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
Better the enemy you know than the enemy you don't know?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »
Thanks all.  We just adopted/rescued Wendy (the dog) about three weeks ago, so she's on a leash for walks.  Probably always will walk her on a leash, makes me feel better.  We walk at night (9:00 p.m.), but the neighborhood is well-lit and I carry a light.

After reading all of this, my plan is to:
1. light it up if I see it with my flashlight, see if it runs.
2. make noise, and see if it runs.
3. pepper spray if they get too close for my comfort
4. drop the leash to give Wendy a chance if they come for her/me.
5. CCW as needed/appropriate/justified

Ohio games laws are interesting, in that there is no set season for coyotes/boars. It's year round. And, I'll have to look into defense against animal laws.  I'd prefer my shotgun, or my 6" Smith 586, but the shotgun carried at the ready scares the neighbors, and the Smith is too big for IWB. Guess I'll stick with my CCW gear.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »
yea, why make things more complicated? Stick with what you're used to.  ;)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
Heading out in a few minues, and just thought of one more thing for those who know coyotes...would a walking staff be worthwhile? Are they the kind of animals that will turn and run when facing a fight? Or is it in their nature to keep up the fight, so the staff would be useless?

Had another thought last night after Wendy did some "business" and I had a bag of fresh steaming product...that would probably be a pretty effective deerent against some less motivated attackers, huh?   [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
If Texas Gov. Rick Perry can ice one with a LCP, then coyotes can't be that hard to kill....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
Heading out in a few minues, and just thought of one more thing for those who know coyotes...would a walking staff be worthwhile? Are they the kind of animals that will turn and run when facing a fight? Or is it in their nature to keep up the fight, so the staff would be useless?

Had another thought last night after Wendy did some "business" and I had a bag of fresh steaming product...that would probably be a pretty effective deerent against some less motivated attackers, huh?   [barf]

hmmm  theres something i've never tried  shooting one hand while swinging a stick with the other  might need to practice that somewhere safe
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
Not that I'm an expert at any of this but I'd think a somewhat sharpened stick would be better used with two hands in a stabbing/poking type movement. Like jam it down their throats kind of poking. At some point though I'd have it in my mind to be prepared to drop the stick and draw. Now a baseball bat, on the other hand, might be more of a swinging tool but again is better served with two hands I would think.

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
walking stick made outa rebar would be ugly  but effective

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
How about one of those sword walking sticks. Someone needs to come up with a hiker looking walking stick/sword that's not too pompous looking if you know what I mean. I'm sure someone on this crazy board could make something like that. Probably a few of us. I probably could I guess, but not right now.  =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
chainsaw
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »
Sweet, where do you order those from?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »
How about the Taurus "Judge" in .410?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »
I was thinking the exact same thing.  =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
Use your normal CCW.

Flashlight.

Maybe add a walking stick. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
There is a stiff, leather whip-like thing that I would like to get for carrying while walking the dogs.

Can't remember what it's name is; I can picture it in the hand of old-time British officers in colonial settings (Africa, India).

It's about five feet long...anybody know what I'm describing?

ETA: I think that it might be a "sjambok"...

Sawdust
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:58:04 AM by Sawdust »
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »
Yeah, but the crows do ;)

Or you can hang up the carcass somewhere strategic.  They say that the body keeps live coyotes away.  I shot one last fall and dragged it to the rimrock right above our chicken house, but it is pretty well eaten/rotted away now.  I need to refresh it, I guess  =)

I killed two last week while. The wife saw another coyote feeding on the remains the next day.

P5 Guy

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
They like to eat cats.