Author Topic: Anyone know about coyotes?  (Read 9529 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Anyone know about coyotes?
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
I still don't get why folks are so scared/concerned about coyotes? I bird hunt in coyote central Iowa and had never had an encounter with any of my dogs and I've only seen one 'yote out bird hunting and he was hauling ass 300 yards away in from of lab.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
I still don't get why folks are so scared/concerned about coyotes?

You don't have chickens and cats, apparently.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »
I killed two last week while. The wife saw another coyote feeding on the remains the next day.

Interesting...  =|

Well, I guess one can use a coyote for coyote bait then.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
I still don't get why folks are so scared/concerned about coyotes? I bird hunt in coyote central Iowa and had never had an encounter with any of my dogs and I've only seen one 'yote out bird hunting and he was hauling ass 300 yards away in from of lab.

Because there are suburban coyotes that are habituated to dogs and humans. They have the potential for very different cost/benefit ratios in terms of what they do.

A rural coyote that does not stalk livestock may simply see humans and domestic dogs as "not-food", and "threat", and there's zero point in engaging them. A suburban or fringe-rural coyote that's snacked on a small dog, a few cats, gone through garbage, or finds food in proximity to human activity, noises/scents may be very different.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
You don't have chickens and cats, apparently.

I know that yotes are opportunity eaters, cats and chickens make for a easy meal.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
I know that yotes are opportunity eaters, cats and chickens make for a easy meal.

So do small to medium dogs, as well as larger ones who have been conditioned not to be aggressive.  There are rumors of 'yotes looking at small children but fortunately nothing to substantiate the rumors.

And semi-urban/urban beasts of all strupes are potential carriers of rabies - either from direct contact with a rabid beast or from chowing down on the remains of one that died from rabies.

That and they are the closest we have nowadays to wolves lurking just beyond the reach of the campfire flames.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »

And Canadian folk singers, too  =(

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »
So do small to medium dogs, as well as larger ones who have been conditioned not to be aggressive.  There are rumors of 'yotes looking at small children but fortunately nothing to substantiate the rumors.

And semi-urban/urban beasts of all strupes are potential carriers of rabies - either from direct contact with a rabid beast or from chowing down on the remains of one that died from rabies.

That and they are the closest we have nowadays to wolves lurking just beyond the reach of the campfire flames.

stay safe.

We have the wolves here, too  :O

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »

stay safe.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
Because there are suburban coyotes that are habituated to dogs and humans. They have the potential for very different cost/benefit ratios in terms of what they do.

A rural coyote that does not stalk livestock may simply see humans and domestic dogs as "not-food", and "threat", and there's zero point in engaging them. A suburban or fringe-rural coyote that's snacked on a small dog, a few cats, gone through garbage, or finds food in proximity to human activity, noises/scents may be very different.

^^ This, plus eleventyone.

Also, coyote in different parts of the country have different degrees of hunger/aggression.

Desert 'yotes are more likely to tackle larger game than 'yotes from wetter parts of the country, where small game is plentiful.

Coyote varminting has a distinct effect on white-tail populations in AZ.  The more 'yotes you bag, the more deer there will be the following year.  That tells me that coyote quite routinely prey on deer, here.  That conditions them to prey on other ~100 pound animals.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
^^ This, plus eleventyone.

Coyote varminting has a distinct effect on white-tail populations in AZ.  The more 'yotes you bag, the more deer there will be the following year.  That tells me that coyote quite routinely prey on deer, here.  That conditions them to prey on other ~100 pound animals.

Yup. When a co-worker and I took the boss pig hunting earlier this year, the guide kept getting mad at me and my co-worker for not taking shots whenever we saw a coyote. They take down deer and smaller pigs on the ranch he guides.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
You really don't want to see what a pack of 'yotes can do to a calving heifer. It isn't pretty. Most ranchers I know have calving barns but there are still some who birth calves in the fields.

bob