Author Topic: Hunger Strikes  (Read 4602 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hunger Strikes
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »
Can someone please explain these to me? I have simply never grasped the concept.

I just read an article about a bunch of DREAM Act proponents going on a hunger strike. My reaction was, "so what?"

Obviously these do work with certain types of people, like University administrators, since it seems hunger strikes occur at colleges more than anywhere else. Maybe I'm just a big meanie, but I simply don't care one way or another about someone who of their own free will says, "I'm not eating until someone gives me what I want!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Hunger Strikes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
THe idea is that if you're willing to suffer for your cause, it lends you more legitimacy. Sort of like how Ghandi did it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
"I'm going on a hunger strike because you raised my tuition $500" doesn't lend anyone legitimacy, it just makes them spoiled whiners. Maybe I could learn to be more sympathetic if more hunger strikers had a worthwhile cause.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »
"I'm going on a hunger strike because you raised my tuition $500" doesn't lend anyone legitimacy, it just makes them spoiled whiners. Maybe I could learn to be more sympathetic if more hunger strikers had a worthwhile cause.

Yes, but people who protest for a non-worthwhile cause always look silly, that's why it's called a non-worthwhile cause.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
I like hunger strikes. Lots of people who could stand to lose 20 lbs or so.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Can someone please explain these to me? I have simply never grasped the concept.

I just read an article about a bunch of DREAM Act proponents going on a hunger strike. My reaction was, "so what?"

Obviously these do work with certain types of people, like University administrators, since it seems hunger strikes occur at colleges more than anywhere else. Maybe I'm just a big meanie, but I simply don't care one way or another about someone who of their own free will says, "I'm not eating until someone gives me what I want!"

Done "right" it provides a steady stream of martyrs for the propaganda cadre to exploit.  

It requires an oppressor who cares about being thought good, like the Brits.  Real Nazis or fictional Draka would probably laugh, thank you for the idea, and cage up a few more in public view to starve as an object lesson.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:55:31 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
In the past hunger strikes were tools to either punish those who controlled the actual lives of the hunger strikers (the Irish held in British gaols) or to gain sympathy for the downtrodden over those who were trodding down on them (Ghandi).

When prison inmates go on a hunger strike they know that their keepers are both legally and morally obliged to prevent them from suffering any serious injury.  If/when the prison administration force-fed the inmate it gave added legitimacy to the inmate's cause and "demonstrated" the authoritarian stance of the administration.  When the downtrodden go o a hunger strike they are also looking to legitimatize their position.  In that case the trodder-down has no legal obligation to preserve the health/life of the striker, but failing to give in just "proves" how far they are willing to go to continue trodding-down on those they are already oppressing/repressing.

Going on a hunger strike to be allowed to continue to have a commodity paid for by taxes on those who either do not or cannot access that commodity themselves is just plain stupid.  Nobody is legall or morally obligated to fund the education of these idjits, so if they starve themselves to death it will at best prove they were too stupid to have benefitted from an education to begin with.  If one dies, will there be another to step in and take his/her place?  And if two or more die, will anybody really be moved to continue paying taxes to pay for fools like them to attend school?  (Notice I did not say "pay to educate them" or "pay for them to learn" - as apparently those are not the objects the strikers wish to achieve.)

Looking at this from the perspective of how this impacts the issue of illegal aliens - let me just say that any activity initiated by the illegal aliens to reduce the number of illegal aliens gets my full support.  Since this issue of going on a hunger strike is connected with the aim of achieving a political goal, I suggest that any attempt to intervene by using public or mental health subterfuges (involuntary commitment to a hospital/mental health facility) is a violation of the hunger strikers' First Amendment rights and must be prevented at all costs.  Where is the ACLU and their pre-emptive petitions for injunctions?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »
a real hunger strike separates the men from the boys  can have a similar impact to those burning monks in vietnam

think of bobby sands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
I hope it's about a 40-50 day hunger strike.  Maybe make it a week long water-strike too.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
a real hunger strike separates the men from the boys  can have a similar impact to those burning monks in vietnam

think of bobby sands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands
I usually think of Dr. Charles Latif Hyder. He was on a hunger strike in 1986, but nobody in US noticed it. He lost some weight and claimed credit for getting US to work on nuclear disarmament. Nobody noticed. He got all depressed, returned to his original weight and died of a heart attack.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2004BAAS...36.1677W

After 1983, Charles' devoted his full energy to exposing the threat of nuclear weapons and reactor by-products in the biosphere. His was a very public crusade with a seven month fast in Lafayette Park, Washington D.C.

A fast is not necessacarily a hunger strike.

Heck, our morning meal is named after the fact that we "fasted" overnight.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2004BAAS...36.1677W

A fast is not necessacarily a hunger strike.

Heck, our morning meal is named after the fact that we "fasted" overnight.

stay safe.
See, that's what your lying capitalist media told you. Soviet TV said it was a hunger strike.  =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »
See, that's what your lying capitalist media told you. Soviet TV said it was a hunger strike.  =D

Can't be a hunger strike unless you have some political goal to achieve by undertaking it.

Feeding your piehole may be difficult in Soviet Russia, but it's not a political goal.

For as we all know, in Soviet Russia you get fed to the people for breakfast.  At least on Thursdays.  'Cause everybody knows Thursday it's Soylent Green. =D

stay safe.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
Can't be a hunger strike unless you have some political goal to achieve by undertaking it.

Hyder had a political goal - nuclear disarmament.

For as we all know, in Soviet Russia you get fed to the people for breakfast.  At least on Thursdays.  'Cause everybody knows Thursday it's Soylent Green. =D

stay safe.
Nope. Two words for ya - blood sausage.  =D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:28:15 PM by White Horseradish »

Robert A Heinlein

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »
It doesn't work if one does not care if you starve yourself to death.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 06:30:42 AM »
It doesn't work if one does not care if you starve yourself to death.

I think you are saying that the goal of a hunger strike is either death or the political goal.  One has to be willing to die for one's goal.

Hyder just went on a weight-loss diet.  Seven month's fast & he's still alive proves it was not a hunger strike as we use that term.

Just being pedantic.

stay safe.