Author Topic: Calling Forum Meadmakers  (Read 1268 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Calling Forum Meadmakers
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »
My return to brewing has been a success, and I'd like to try something different, specifically mead. I've done some reading on the topic, and I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into. I enjoy dessert wines, and would like to start with a simple sweet mead, perhaps lightly spiced.

Please share any tips and rookie mistakes to avoid, including how you cultivate patience for longer fermentation/maturation times. If there are print or online materials you recommend, please point me in worthwhile directions.

Thanks,

SADShooter,
Proprietor, SAD Suds Brewing
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Calling Forum Meadmakers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
BridgeWalker makes some pretty good mead. I'm sure she can give you a few tips.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
I have a batch of metheglin I started about 14 months ago, sitting in my kitchen right now on the counter.

I started my first batch of mead nearly 3 years ago.  It was a simple sweet mead like you are talking about.

Mistakes, IMO, are as follows:
-using too dry of a yeast.  Mead shouldn't approach 16-18% alcohol content.  I used a dry champaigne yeast.  Try a wine yeast instead.
-be sure to use a sweet honey.  I've done two batches so far... my first was star thistle honey.  My second (current batch) is mesquite honey.  So far, I'd suggest sticking with star thistle, orange blossom, some sort of citrus based honey, or a berry based honey.  Desert honeys are a bit bitter in comparison, though still certainly sweet.  Find a local beekeeper.  He'll be able to suggest a honey of his own that is suitable... or a peer beekeeper that has suitable honey.
-use the primary fermenter for 6 weeks to 2 months.
-rack to a secondary.  Give it 6 months.
-rack again to a tertiary.  Give it another 3-6 months.
-rack a fourth time.  Give it 1-2 weeks to settle out the last little bit of yeast suspended in the mix.
-each time you rack, you chance oxidizing the brew.  This reinvigorates the yeast.  If you avoid splashing during the siphon/racking process, you'll oxidize less.  I think oxidizing as little as possible is the way to go.
-Bottle when you are confident you can avoid the lion's share of yeast sediment.

I've never done beer, so my patience is defined by my experience with mead.  I stick the fermenter in a corner of an unused bedroom for months at a time and just forget about it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
And most of my experience is opposite of AZ's...

I start with 3-4 lbs of honey per gallon. Use whatever yeast you like, but the advice to use a wine yeast is good (I've been using Cote de Blanc).

For a straight mead, I leave it in the primary just long enough to be sure fermentation is going, then transfer to the carboy. Racking is siphon to a polycarb jug, rinse the glass, then pour the must back into the carboy. I do that weekly, until I'm not getting sediment anymore (running around 4-6 months).

For a melomel, I add several pounds of whatever fruit to the must. Ferinstance, the blueberry I have downstairs was something like 1 lb per. The apple/cherry (which Rev is now VERY fond of) was 1 lb of cherries and 2 lbs of apples per. This, I leave in the primary for a couple weeks, then strain. Get as much juice out of the pulp as you can.

I let things ferment until I'm getting zero sediment and the product is clear (as in "can clearly see a candle through the carboy"). Then add a stopping agent, and let settle out again.

You can ask Rev if my stuff is turning out ok...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:54:10 AM »
I've only made mead once and that was 10 years ago.  Still got 1 bottle left.  I used mesquite honey and prickly pear fruits.  I quite like the mesquite honey, and would disagree with AZRed on the dry champagne yeast too.  Mine fermented to 15% give or take.  Still has a sweetness, but not too much which a wine yeast would have left.

I will agree with Red on racking at least 3 times.  4 would be at your discretion.  And patience is a virtue with meads.  6 months in the secondary may not be necessary, and I'd probably do the first racking while there's still the last vestiges of active fermentation going on (probably around 2-3 weeks).  That means that the CO2 production will still be able to effectively purge all air from the carboy even if there's significant head space.  If you're going to rack a second/third/fourth time or let it go to full fermentation before the first racking make sure the new carboy winds up with as little head space in it as possible.  That or purge with dry nitrogen.  Bottling should not be in anything less than 6 months total time.  But probably little to be gained after 9 months or so.

Don't boil the honey-water.  If you heat it to sterilize it, only go to 160-170F for 30 minutes or so.  Boiling will destroy too many flavors.

Next time I go to New Zealand I want to see if I can bring back enough Manuka honey to make a batch of mead.  Hopefully by then I'll also be back into brewing my own beer.  Had to sell the equipment a couple years ago during a move.
Formerly sumpnz

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
Odd... my experience has been that you can't "over-rack".

The melomels I mentioned above were racked weekly for a couple months. Again, ask Rev his opinion (and his lady's)...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:43:26 AM »
My mead turned out very well with only 3 rackings.  I traded a couple bottles with a couple wineries in Napa, and they sent me tasting notes.  They were rather impressed (or just being nice, but I think it was sincere).
Formerly sumpnz

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:02:28 AM »
Good information to ponder thus far. Thanks, all.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Part of the reason I didn't rack as often as Strings was that I was (probably overly) fanatical about sterilization of equipment and was too much work to rack any more often.  Also, I didn't siphon into a bucket and rinse out sediment in the carboy and then siphon back in the same carboy.  I'd just siphon straight from one carboy to another.  At the time I had probably 5 or 6 carboys ranging in size from 2.5-6 gallons. 
Formerly sumpnz

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
Any thoughts on optimal batch volume? My buckets/carboys are 5+ gallon. Should I start smaller with lower capacity vessels? I don't want to risk oxidation with smaller volumes in what I have.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:36:55 AM »
I've got a couple 3 gallon batches running in 5 gallon carboys right now. They're fine.

And I don't siphon back into the carboy, but pour (via a funnel) to aerate things...