Author Topic: Gun Show Report  (Read 1433 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Gun Show Report
« on: December 04, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
I went to "the big" gun show this weekend in PHX.  Crossroads of the West at the State Fair Grounds, with the Small Arms Review.

I haven't been to a show in a while.  I tend not to even go, unless I have a particular goal.

My goals today?
-Offload my Taurus model 94 .22 revolver for a decent price
-Replace that Taurus .22 with a Browning Buckmark

Possible alternate goals were to get a 12ga pump shotgun suitable to threegunnery, and/or a .22LR evil assault carbine like an AR-22 or Sig 522.

I wound up getting a good offer on my Taurus, inside of an hour in the show.

Armed with that cash (and some extra allotted to today's goals), I examined what the show had to offer.  There were well over a thousand tables today.  I think there were 8 total buildings, each larger than a high school gym, overflowing with private vendors and FFL's. 

In the entire show, consisting of possibly over 100,000 guns assembled in one place...
...there were 3 Browning Buckmarks that I could find.

Sheesh.

Two didn't even meet my standards.  One had a 4" barrel (too short), and one had this funky orange-splotchy paint all over it trying to look unique and cool.  It was teh fail.

The third was a gem.  Five and a half inch barrel, bull profile but tapered to an inverted triangle not unlike a Desert Eagle towards the front, for weight savings.  Green fiber optic front sight.  My carry guns are all equipped with green fiber optic front sights. 

Price was fair.  It was an FFL rather than private transfer, but it was new so it was acceptable.  I got it home for $350 after tax.

That was on par with the asking price for various Ruger MkIII and 22/45 pistols I'd seen, and from what I've researched I've seen Buckmarks go for a bit more than comparable Rugers.  I was dead-set against a Ruger since they are reportedly a PITA to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning.

I also brought home primers at $17/1k.  I got 1k small pistol and 1k large pistol.  Well equipped for rifle needs already.  These were Wolf primers, which I've used before with satisfactory results for steel match use.  No misfires, no weird results.  But, I am not benchresting or anything.  Winchesters were $21/1k.

Once I got home I fleshed out all my gear needs for this pistol.  Ordered a Bianchi 7000 series holster, model 17701 for lefties that carry 5.5" Buckmarks OWB.  I also ordered 4 more Browning-made magazines.

One of my goals for this pistol is to shoot in the .22 mock "tactical" courses they have at Rio Salado.  They do a pistol .22 steel match monthly, and there's a .22 tactical carbine match they hold also.  That was why I was looking for a Sig 522, though I'm also open to Browning's Buckmark rifle configuration.  Anything that has more positive magazine ejection than a Marlin 795 or Ruger 10/22.

So, I sunk about $475 into a full rig for a .22 pistol consisting of gun, magazines, and holster.  I don't think I've ever fully "equipped" a gun on the same day that I bought it.

I held off on the 12ga and .22 carbine aspirations for the day in light of that, and the fact that those other pieces of gear also needed extra investment to make them functional for my goals.

All in all I'm happy with the day, but disappointed in the gun show.  Looking for a quality current production gun in a place with over 1000 vendors, and I find 3 examples.

Frankly, I saw more Phoenix Arms, Hi-Point and Jennings/Jiminez crap than quality guns.  And surplus guns that frankly weren't well cared for... including a Genuine German Luger that was so well cared for that someone had the decency to have it reblued. :facepalm:

I probably colored my experience by not finding very many buckmarks to compare price against and used that to superimpose the value of other offerings.  But, I noticed a lot more ring-of-fire saturday night special crap than usual, and not nearly as much fun/unique stuff.  No 10/22 dual gatling kits.  Stuff like that.

But, I sold a gun I didn't like and bought a gun I did like, so mission accomplished.  It'll probably be a week before I get to shoot it, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Gun Show Report
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
I don't find the Rugers hard to disassemble/reassemble.  They can be stiff teh first couple times, but so is a fitted 1911 bushing, you get used to it.

But you got what you wanted which is cool. Congrats.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
Good for you!

The last gun show I went to was in San Antonio . . . saw ONE Luger which was badly overpriced (darn!), a WWII M1 carbine with swastikas carved on the buttstock (One for each Nazi killed? Remember, "Buy the gun, not the story.") and table after table of binoculars, 'scopes, Eotech knockoffs, flashlights, and stock furniture . . . all cheap cr@p from China.

Ammo. Lots of ammo. All priced higher than places like Cabela's. From the looks of the boxes, the guys have been hauling this from show to show for a while. Probably stocked up when prices peaked, and can't bear to let it go for current market prices.

I'm in Austin, and we haven't had a decent gun show here for a couple of years . . . but I was amazed at the sheer volume of cheap Chinese cr@p; what once was a trickle, is now a flood.

Interestingly enough, a number of smaller accessory vendors had one Chinese knock-off of some sort among the other things on their table. My guess is they bought it for the price, were disappointed, and now were trying to unload it on some other sucker value-minded consumer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
Az,

We are heading back to our place in Arizona this next week.  If I remember correctly the next show Crossroads puts on will be right before my birthday.  I haven't been to one in a couple of years.  Would be a treat to go to one with LS and meet for burgers and brew after.  How about it?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »
I was dead-set against a Ruger since they are reportedly a PITA to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning.

Moderately.  I have to puzzle through it every time.  Don't let that keep you from getting one.  They're nice shooters.

I also brought home primers at $17/1k.   Winchesters were $21/1k.

Wow!  Happy days are here again?  My last 1K was, IRRC, $42/thousand and I was happy to find it.  Last gun show I think they were running $35/k or thereabouts.  I think.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
Gpa:  I'd love to.

I'm (slightly) regretting not coming home with a Mossberg Persuader I saw there.  Giving myself a month to stew on it and then return if it suits me would be good.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »
I guess I need to start primer shopping. I'm still bitter about not buying every WSP and WLP primer in sight when they were $70/5000 7-8 years ago. I bought most of them, but not enough.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
It seems to me that every time I go to a gun show looking for something specific, I never find it.   It is either too expensive or I can't find one.  I have certainly found that I can never sell anything unless I am willing to accept a price pretty low compared to new. 

I have a couple of Ruger .22 and a High Standard HD Military.  I think the Ruger is a pain to disassemble reassemble also, but they are good shooters and I could count on one hand how many times I have bothered to do it.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »
It seems to me that every time I go to a gun show looking for something specific, I never find it. 

It's like going to garage sales.  If you go looking for something, you'll probably not see it.  Be open to the opportunity of the moment, and ready to walk away without regrets.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 12:21:05 AM »
I usually go to the ones down here in Tucson.  Not so much for the firearms, just the reloading gear and accessories.  Picked up a Lyman case trimmer for $20 like new at the last show. 

Our next one is on the 11-12th of Dec at the fairgrounds.  Gonna hit that one and pick up some bullets for reloading as well as some 7.62x39 ammo.  The prices are on par compared to buying online and then shipping them in.  Same with the bulk bullets. 

I don't buy powder at them shows as the price is rediculous!  Powder is much cheaper at Sportsmans Warehouse in Marana.   

I thought about going up to Phoenix for this weekends show but the funds are tight so I passed. 

Congrats on the Buckmark.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
It's like going to garage sales.  If you go looking for something, you'll probably not see it.  Be open to the opportunity of the moment, and ready to walk away without regrets.
No doubt.  The trick is to have some money available for the finds and don't feel you have to spend it.

I did see a S&W 8-shot pro-series revolver that has the cylinder cut for moon clips.  I want!  But I have to sell a couple items first.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
I also brought home primers at $17/1k.  I got 1k small pistol and 1k large pistol.  Well equipped for rifle needs already.  These were Wolf primers, which I've used before with satisfactory results for steel match use.  No misfires, no weird results.  But, I am not benchresting or anything.  Winchesters were $21/1k.
WOWZAA!!
I had to go back and check the date of your post!

Then again, it's not very often I get to go to decent gunshops, so I may be a bit out of touch with normal prices these days.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
Once I got the hang of RUger pistol dis-assembly, I thought it slick as heck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
One had a 4" barrel (too short), and one had this funky orange-splotchy paint all over it trying to look unique and cool.  It was teh fail.

Sometimes those can be teh win.  My ex father in law score a really nice Smith 29 for about 2/3 the price it should have been because it had a pimp-o-riffic gold plate job that was so hideously done it made the gun look like it had leprosy.  Mechanically it was perfect.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB