Author Topic: I Can't Drive 55...Around Atlanta's Perimeter  (Read 5641 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I Can't Drive 55...Around Atlanta's Perimeter
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
http://www.saysuncle.com/2010/12/03/more-radar-detector-stuff/

Some folks get together and drive 55mph across all lanes of the Perimeter around Atlanta and the hilarity that ensues and decreased safety when driving the speed limit.

Sammy Hagar, sadly, does not make an appearance.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: I Can't Drive 55...Around Atlanta's Perimeter
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »
"Ferill"?

What wee her parents thinking when they came up with that name?

And I agree - without Sammy Hagar the whole video is useless.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »
I don't know, I think it makes a good point.

Axiom 1:  The speeds people drive on interstates and beltways aren't inherently unsafe.  This is supported by the relative infrequency of traffic accidents on interstates.

Axiom 2:  Modern automobiles are well capable of safely maintaining these speeds in optimal road conditions.

Heck, I'm happy they did this.  They should do it every day.  Either the traffic pattern at the posted speed limit will work, or it will highlight the need to change the posted speed limits.  Why should we have to break the law, risking significant financial hardship every day to drive safely on highways?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
It's not speed that I have a problem with, but following distance.

How can it possibly be safe to drive 60-80mph with only 1 or 2 car lengths (or less!) separation?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
"Ferill"?

stay safe.

I know a couple Ferrils. Wife has an uncle named Ferol and I have a retired coworker who's wife is Ferril.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »

How can it possibly be safe to drive 60-80mph with only 1 or 2 car lengths (or less!) separation?

Oh that's nothing. You also have the wonderful drivers who will swerve across 5 lanes of traffic, at once, without looking in Atlanta. 1-2 car lengths separation at 70-80mph is the safest part about driving in that city...everything else is hazardous.

I'm surprised that these guys didn't get run off the road or shot in Atlanta.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »

I agree (coming from one of three truck drivers in the world who does NOT tailgate).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
Oh that's nothing. You also have the wonderful drivers who will swerve across 5 lanes of traffic, at once, without looking in Atlanta. 1-2 car lengths separation at 70-80mph is the safest part about driving in that city...everything else is hazardous.

I'm surprised that these guys didn't get run off the road or shot in Atlanta.

The "fun" thing about I-5 in Seattle is that, out of 5 or 6 lanes of traffic, the left 4 will must exit left all at once.  A whole bunch will then enter stage left, and about a half mile later, 4 lanes will must exit right.  ;/

So no matter which lane you choose, to go straight on through the city you must within a very short distance suddenly swerve across 4 or 5 lanes just to avoid exiting and getting lost in urban nightmare.  :O

Denver is only somewhat better, as lanes keep being added and subtracted randomly from the left and right.  Why can't they design one or two "through" lanes, and even better, paint the pavement or lines a different color so that you know which one(s) to stay in?

Are urban freeway designers idiots, or just insane  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
I agree (coming from one of three truck drivers in the world who does NOT tailgate).

In general, I would rather be on the road with big trucks than cars.  =)

Sometimes in trying to get through a city, I will just get behind a truck that looks like it is OTR, and stay right there unless it exits.  I change lanes and follow it because: a) I figure he/she knows the way through, and b) 40 tons of truck can't stop that fast, and sorta makes a huge safety bumper in front.  :cool:   But then I can't see as well  =|

But fewer truck drivers seem to be rational anymore.  Last time thru Denver, we had one going fairly slow and I passed it, and then a short time later he speeded up to about 80mph and started passing everything about three feet behind the car in front of him.  Then he slowed down again, and it started all over.  I think the guy must have been on drugs or having some sort of fast acting bi-polar episodes  :O

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
On my frequent trips to the ATL I get mild chuckle out of the 55mph signs. Usually as I pass them going 75 or 80.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
We're driving to Key West for 3 months.  Gotta go through Atlanta the route we are taking.  A friend of mine said that we should not take the bypass, but drive straight through on the business rte.  Time of day, of course would be important.  Any suggestions??
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

P5 Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
Gramps, going thru Atlanta is generally easier than trying to go around. Living in Tampa and going to Gettysburg PA every year or less has taught me that.
But going to the Keys you will need to get to I95.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
Thanks.  I've got my maps and GPS, plus driving from Michigan is pretty cut and dried as to the general route.  We've been toying with taking 4 or 5 days.  We're in no hurry, so we might wander about a bit.

When we get to Florida we've got friends on the Atlantic side and the gulf side if we want to stop by; but probably won't.  I'm  thinking about picking up 27 mid state and staying on that till it intersects with the Turnpike down by Miami and take the Turnpike till US 1  VS  getting off 75 and onto the Turnpike mid state and take the Turnpike southeast and pick up 95 at Ft. Pierce then on down to 1.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
"Ferill"?

stay safe.

I had a cousin named Ferol and she was a hell of a fine woman.

Russ

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't stand to listen to that vampire wanna be hipster talk for the entire first minute.  :facepalm:

Pretty interesting experiment, though :)

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
We're driving to Key West for 3 months.  Gotta go through Atlanta the route we are taking.  A friend of mine said that we should not take the bypass, but drive straight through on the business rte.  Time of day, of course would be important.  Any suggestions??

Press the gas and pray.

Oh and you might want to consider stopping for the Georgia Aquarium and maybe the World of Coca-Cola museum...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
The "fun" thing about I-5 in Seattle is that, out of 5 or 6 lanes of traffic, the left 4 will must exit left all at once.  A whole bunch will then enter stage left, and about a half mile later, 4 lanes will must exit right.  ;/

So no matter which lane you choose, to go straight on through the city you must within a very short distance suddenly swerve across 4 or 5 lanes just to avoid exiting and getting lost in urban nightmare.  :O

This just makes it sporting!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
You know what the difference between driving through Atlanta during the day and during the night is? At least during the day you can see what is about to kill you.

I've driven through it twice on the way to and from the Keys from Michigan and it was easier around noonish than it was at 10pm. I prefer to see what is trying to kill me so I can at least attempt to dodge.
Look, tiny text!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
You know what the difference between driving through Atlanta during the day and during the night is? At least during the day you can see what is about to kill you.

I've driven through it twice on the way to and from the Keys from Michigan and it was easier around noonish than it was at 10pm. I prefer to see what is trying to kill me so I can at least attempt to dodge.

This. Night driving is hell in ATL. Doubly so if it's raining...utterly miserable. Midday between the rush hours should be fine (always has for me).

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
I'm gonna try and time it so we go through Atlanta mid day.  Gonna make Nashville the first day.  Atlanta is about 4-5 hours.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »

I towed the boat southbound through Atlanta.  Made the mistake of getting on the beltway.  White knuckled the whole way. 
Worst
Beltway
Ever
On the trip with the fam, we plunged straight through.  Easy peasy.
Try and do it outside of normal rush hour hours and its fine.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
This just makes it sporting!

Yeah, right  ;/

I go from gravel roads with loose cows, to five or six lanes of solid traffic each direction in a few hours flight   :O

Last time, I drove and turned off on 405.  It was still a parking lot for a while but at least you can sorta stay in the middle until you finally get through.

If there is a next time (still owe you a meal and a beer), I might take Hiway 2 Scenic Route  =)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
. . . no matter which lane you choose, to go straight on through the city you must within a very short distance suddenly swerve across 4 or 5 lanes just to avoid exiting and getting lost in urban nightmare.  :O

Denver is only somewhat better, as lanes keep being added and subtracted randomly from the left and right.  Why can't they design one or two "through" lanes, and even better, paint the pavement or lines a different color so that you know which one(s) to stay in?

When I was moving from MN to TX some years back, I-35 through Kansas City was the same . . . had to keep switching lanes just to go all the way through without stopping. (And being in a driving rainstorm didn't help.)

Are urban freeway designers idiots, or just insane  ???
Having spoken with a few highway engineers, I vote for "Idiots."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain