Author Topic: "Official" Android thread  (Read 8335 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
"Official" Android thread
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
So I finally updated my phone....went from a tmobile wing, to the new my touch 4G.
Wow what a cool little device....live Fox news channel streaming enough said.
And I have to say this new swype key board feature is better than expected.
So I just thought all the droid users on the forum could chime in here with your
likes and dislikes.  As well as apps of choice.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:49:22 PM by Ben »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: "Official" Andriod thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
There's Angry Birds.. and then after that, not much else gets used.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
I never thought I would want or like a Smart Phone till I got my EVO 4G. Some of my favorite apps:

AirWX (aviation weather)
Android VNC (works surprisingly well on a 4.3" screen -- I often use it to check a remote data collector computer at work)
Bubble (bubble level)
ConvertDroid (unit converter)
Documents to Go (for MS Office and Gdocs)
Google Goggles
Google Sky Map
Google Translate (although newest update jacked up my TTS, which is far superior to Google's)
GPS Status (Great little GPS status and wayfinding tool)
Sensorley Map Viewer (Android community collection and display of cell phone reception maps)
Metal Detector (Once calibrated, works surprisingly well)
MyBackup Pro (A MUST HAVE. Saved my bacon several times already)
OruxMaps (I even use this at work to read everything from airnav charts to Google kml files)
Pandora
Sirius Satellite Radio
Ringdroid (custom ringers from multiple sources)
Shooter (ballistics program)
Tricorder (very cool app that uses most all of the phones sensors)
US Constitution (never leave home without it)
Where's My Droid (find your lost or misplaced phone via ringer (locally) or Google Navigation (if you lost it on your backpacking trip.)
WiFi Analyzer

The one thing I'm wishing for, and it baffles me that neither Google nor Cisco are following up, is IpSec VPN for Android. It would be absolutely awesome for me to be able to quickly VPN into work to grab some data or reset some bonehead's network password. The iPhone has it, but nothing for Android. Seems like they're losing out on a big potential market.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
Ben, I appreciate the list, I'll be checking into many of those.
My mt4g has ipsec vpn capabilities.
Oh and I forglt to mention the wifi hotspot feature.
Basically its wireless tethering.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
I should have been more specific. I meant plain Jane IpSec for the basic Cisco Concentrator. Because I have VPN, but not for Cisco IpSec. There's a thread that's been running for over a year and a half at Google with Android users begging for this, and both Google and Cisco have said it's not available.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3902
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
If this is the official thread, can you edit it so Android is spelled right?  :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
I just flashed my ROM to CyanogenMod 6.1.0 on Monday.  So far I'm liking it.  One really nice thing is the ability to toggle on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and the ringer from the status bar.  When you pull the notification window down the top of it has a button for each action.  I'm not sure if this is something pulled from Android 2.2.1 or unique to CyanogenMod.

The Skype Mobile app is pretty much pointless.  Verizon got them to lock it down so that you can't make VoIP calls over WiFi to the US with it.  You can do that just fine with the Skype app though.  Go figure.  The instant messenger feature in the Skype app is useless though.  You'll get notifications for messages that you received on your computer hours ago.

There's an official Google Reader app now.  It only came out two weeks ago.  I'm glad to have it.  It's not great but it works seamlessly with the web app.

Having a Google Voice account is nice, Android or not, and I've become pretty dependent on the transcription feature that it provides.

Shazam is a fun app.  It'll listen to music playing in the background and figure out the artist and song name for you.  Then you can buy the MP3 off Amazon with just a couple of clicks.

AppBrain is a nice app for finding interesting apps.  Much better than the Market app.

I switched from Launcher/Launcher2 (stock) to ADWLauncher a couple of months ago.  I like it a lot better.  I can set my display to show 5 rows of icons instead of just the standard 4x4 grid.  Handy.  The app drawer seems to work faster than the stock launcher too.  And I can add custom apps or shotguns to the task bar at the bottom.  It lets my dial my wife with a single click regardless of what launcher screen I'm on.  That's handy.

I've been using eReaders (Nook, Kindle, and Google eBooks) on it for a while now.  They all do something I like that another one doesn't.  No clear winner on that one but I end up using the Kindle app more than anything else because that's where we actually buy our eBooks from.  I've only used the Nook and Google eBook reader for classic freebies at this point.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
Let's see.  Apps I use regularly:

Wikidroid (handy wikipedia tool)
ColorNote (best note and checklist/todo I've found)
Calculator (the one by John Tooker, I like the buttons much better than the stock calculator app)
Facebook for Android
The Weather Channel
chompSMS
TeslaLED (turns on both LED's used for the camera flash of my Droid2, making a pretty decent flashlight)
Engadget
Zillow (I'm trying to sell a house)
wootcheckLite

That pretty much covers it for regular use.  I'm going to look at some of the other apps listed in this thread.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:51:15 PM »
If this is the official thread, can you edit it so Android is spelled right?  :laugh:

=D  Done.

I use Shazam and Colornote too.

I also forgot to add System Panel, which is cool for monitoring stuff and killing stuff off.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: "Official" Android thread
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
I got my shiny new Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile a couple of weeks ago.  I will be activating it in early January when the AT&T contract expires. I have been installing apps nonetheless and using it via WiFi. So far, my favorite website to find apps is AppBrain: www.appbrain.com.

My installed apps are:

Market
Advanced Task Killer
Android system info
Angry Birds
AppBrain app market
AppMonster
aTrack Dog
Barcode scanner
Battery Improve2
Bookmarks to SD
Google Books
CamScanner
Compass
Dolphin Browser HD
Facebook
Google Finance
First Aid
Gas Buddy
Google Sky Map
Google Voice
GPS status
Handcent SMS
iTriage
KIRO TV
Lookout
Google Maps
Navy Clock
Quick Settings
Seattle traffic
Sense Analog clock
Google Shopper
Shop Savvy
Skyscape medical references
Google Street view
The Weather channel
Think free office
TuneIn radio
TV listings
UltraChron Lite
White and yellow pages
Wifi manager
World Newspapers
WSDOT
Yelp

PS: and Launcher Pro

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:28:36 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
DOH on the thread title.. I'm still all thumbs on my phone.
I'm going to have to look into the appbrain site and app.
I am still trying to find a decent source for AM station streams.  Without having to get an app for individual radio stations.
The tmobile TV is pretty cool and from what I have read it's powered by Mobitv.
My wife now has severe phone envy since I have live FNC on mine. Although that's going away in 30 days because I can't justify $10/mo for it.
She has the first generation myTouch.  And I've found some free tv apps but they all seem to play clips of news and stuff. No live streams.  I ran across this article, about how the tmobile TV app was extracted and leaked but the article's download link to the app is broken http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-tv-leaks-out-of-mytouch-rom/

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Screebl is another application I can't live without.  Whenever it goes missing (like after I flash my ROM) I get annoyed as piss at my phone.

What it does is keep the phone's screen on when it's being held at certain angles.  This lets you put the timeout on your phone's display down to the bare minimum 15 seconds or so.  In theory it should lower battery consumption as your phone's display won't be on very long when you're not actively using it.  And, when you are using it, the screen won't go dark because you're reading the screen but haven't touched it in 30-60-90 seconds.

The Locale app gets a lot of use by me too.  More so when I was visiting different offices for work.  Costs $10 but worth it IMHO.  You can set up different preferences for different locations and times.  For instance when I'm at home my volume gets cranked up, my Gtalk status indicates I'm at Home, and GPS goes off.  When I leave home the GPS goes back on to better track my location, IM status goes to Mobile.  When I get to an office my phone is set to go into vibrate mode, switch the GPS off to save battery.  Another condition I have is when the battery gets below 25%, I'm not on a call, and it's not plugged in.  Then it switches off WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS to save battery.  Another handy condition I've set is placing the phone face down on the table mutes everything entirely.  So, I walk into a meeting, set my phone on the table, and I don't worry about interruptions.

Tasker is an app similar to Locale, possibly more flexible though, and only costs about $6.  Some of my friends are sold on it.  I'd switch if I hadn't already paid for Locale.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
Gigibust, I'm curious about the tasker app.  I'll have to research it before taking the plunge.
Question on screebl, will it turn the screen back on when it's moved. 
I'd really like to be able to leave the auto shutoff threshold low but then if I moved the phone a certain way it would be handy to come back on. Right now I have to press a button then do the screen slide unlock.  That gets annoying after awhile.

What about file managers. 
Any recommendations on the best one?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
^^^ ES File Manager and Astro file manager are well-regarded.  I had both of them for a while and could not really find a use for them, so I uninstalled them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
Screebl won't turn the screen back on if it's moved.  That'd kill your battery as it turned on anytime you started walking around.  There's not much you can do about having to unlock the phone when it goes idle that I know of.  I got rid of the default slider unlock and went to a pattern unlock pretty shortly.  It's more secure and I picked a pattern that's easier for me to thumb.

As far as file managers I barely ever have to use one, but when I have Astro works well enough for me to not bother trying any others.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
WifiKeyboard is another app that I get some use out of.  When enabled you can point your computer's browser to a server on your phone and input text with the full keyboard.  It's not something I use very often but if I have to change my length e-mail signature, input a bunch of contacts, or anything like that it comes in handy.  In theory while traveling I could use it to type an email up on my netbook (which doesn't have access to my work's email) and send it through the phone.

When I was doing a bit of biking this summer I liked using the RunKeeper app to log speed, distance, etc.  It works alright but it sucks the battery dry.  Pretty much all the GPS nav apps do.  In the car this isn't a huge deal because you can just plug in and charge while driving but it sucks on a bike.  Solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Battery-Powered-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B003M9Z5F6 (MeritLine.com also sells them cheaper)

You can stoke the thing with rechargable NiMH batteries (or any AA batteries) and keep on powering your phone.  It's not bad for around $5 as it'll run anything that's powered off a USB port.  Now that darned near everything is going to be using micro-USB for power I think most people will get some mileage out of them.  I jack one into my Arduino boards sometimes when I don't want to muck with power cables or stay tethered to the laptop and I can use it to power my phone, the wife's new LG phone, our Kindle, her iPod, etc.

If you root your phone (I recommend it for the tech dorks) you can load up WiFi hotspot software too.  I have a few of those on my phone.  None seem to work great but they're good enough for getting online with a laptop when you're on the road and need to grab something real fast. 

Another root-required app worth mentioning is AdFree.  It'll re-write your hosts file to block most ad servers.

Now, if you want to root your phone and start loading up custom ROMs like I do, there's two apps you'll really need:  Titanium Backup and ROM Manager.  Titanium Backup will zip up darned near everything on the phone into a single file which it can restore after you flash a new ROM onto it.  The only things I have to do after a clean wipe and restore is reauthenticate to a few servers, like Google, Amazon, Pandora, etc.  All my settings and all my apps come over.  ROM Manager just makes it easy to download and flash new ROMs onto the phone.   The paid version of Titanium backup is worth it.  Without that you can't do batch operations and backup everything at once.  The paid version of ROM Manager just gets you access to ROMs you probably don't want to load anyway.  Still, they're only a couple bucks each so I paid for both.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
I had a custom ROM loaded on my Wing, so I am a bit familiar with them.  I'll be spending some time on XDA-developers studying up on the MT4G.  I'm actually surprised that it has the wifi hotpot feature stock.  However I have read a few blips about that possibly being a temp thing and tmob may end up charging for it.  At that time I'll either go to a physical cable tether setup or try out some of the ROM custom wifi hotspot's you mentioned.

I installed the app Advanced Task Killer.
I have noticed that a few apps have suggested NOT using task killers for stability.
I would think it's necc. to have an app that will monitor and give you the ability to ensure apps are fully closed and not sucking memory and battery.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
Without thinking I ran the OTA update to 2.2xxx and now I can't root, even if I wipe it back to factory defaults.  :facepalm:

Main thing I wanted to do was attach the evo 4G as an RNDIS device instead of as PDAnet, then I could tether from within a Virtual Machine.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »

I installed the app Advanced Task Killer.
I have noticed that a few apps have suggested NOT using task killers for stability.
I would think it's necc. to have an app that will monitor and give you the ability to ensure apps are fully closed and not sucking memory and battery.

This started with Froyo, which is much better at task and memory management than 2.1 was. Using a task killer was pretty mandatory for me with 2.1. About the only time I really use a task killer (System Monitor) now is whenever I restart my phone, to kill off the lame prgs that Sprint auto-starts to take up my precious memory. Otherwise I just use System Monitor to kill on the rare occasion that the phone slows down because some app has gone apesh*t and needs to die.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
>However I have read a few blips about that possibly being a temp thing and tmob may end up charging for it.<

Actually, my understanding is that they can't charge for a feature that a phone comes with from the manufacturer.

If you want to learn more about Android, check out the Android forums (www.androidforums.com). I've learned LOADS there...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
Droid X here.

Most used

WiFi hotspot for my other devices
Kindle
Dream (free white/brown noise app)
Alarms and calendar
Browser
MP3 player
streaming news/weather
Navigation/GPS/Maps
Task list
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
Grisly -- how do you like your keyboard? I have always heard the X has a killer keyboard, but a friend who has one is always complaining about it to me and telling me mine's better. I'm thinking she may have an issue particular to her phone.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Turning off wifi is not a smart way to save battery life, unless you stop ALL data usage as well.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Grisly -- how do you like your keyboard? I have always heard the X has a killer keyboard, but a friend who has one is always complaining about it to me and telling me mine's better. I'm thinking she may have an issue particular to her phone.
I had a little trouble with the Swype keyboard at first, particularly in portrait orientation. I found the keys to be a wee bit too small.
No trouble in landscape.
I don't use spell check or any kind of accessibility aid software so getting used to Swype's predictions was a definite training curve. I've had it for about 5 weeks now, and I can say, confidently, now that I have used the Swype keyboard I don't care to go back. I have become almost equally as good with the keyboard in portrait as landscape, now.
Very fine product, (Droid X) and I am quite happy with it.  
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
Turning off wifi is not a smart way to save battery life, unless you stop ALL data usage as well.

It's not very intuitive, but WiFi takes more power than the 3G connection.  WiFi wasn't created with low power usage in mind.  The cell data technologies were.

You get better battery performance if you just let the phone stay in 3G mode all day.  Way better.