Author Topic: Truck dilemma  (Read 2874 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« on: March 13, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
So I got this dilemma:

My truck is a 1992 F150.  I bought it new and have taken care of it, it looks nice and runs good but, it has 180k miles on it and I know it won't last forever.  Business has been lousy for the last couple years so I figured I would just hope nothing goes wrong with it for a while.

Now, my son in law just changed jobs and no longer needs or can afford his truck, a 2004 C2500 crew cab with a Duramax Diesel and Allison automatic.  Really nice truck with 60,000 miles on it, his old job made his truck payment and his new one provides one, but they pay less, so he can't afford to keep it.

Sooo, my daughter calls the bank to see what they can do about it and the bank says if the kids can sell it for $18,500, the bank will settle.  My daughter calls and offers it to me.  I can get the money and I think I can handle the payments, business has been picking up lately.

I've always been a Ford man but I have nothing against Chevies.  And this Duramax is very impressive, as is the transmission, plus the crew cab is just what I want.

I guess I'm going to try and get it.  I just needed to dump my latest problems on somebody, and you guys are it. Cheesy

BTW, when my son in law found out what the bank would settle for, he was pissed.  He said "I could aford to buy it at that price, but I can't afford to keep it".  It's called depreciation, live with it.

Declaration Day

• friends
Truck dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:29:08 PM »
I own a small lawnservice /snowplowing company.  We've had trucks from all of the big three, and have had the best luck with Chevys.  They're not as refined as a Ford, but not as crude as a Dodge, or as unnecessarily bulky.  They have a good step in height, a low hood profile, a soft ride, and are overall the easiest to live with.  Its interior is cheap looking, but is well laid out and quite comfy.  Besides, it's a workhorse, not a Lexus.

Currently I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, ext cab, 8 foot bed, 6.0L V8.  It's my work vehicle and my personal vehicle, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My opinion?  Buy it and be happy!

grampster

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:46:36 PM »
What can you buy for $18,000 if you were in the market.  A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.  60,000 miles is doodly squat.  My Nissan pkp has 75000 miles with a snivvling 6 banger gas engine and it's still like new, mechanically.  I think the duramax diesel has had all the GM bugs fixed and the Allison tranny is great.  We bought a GMAC  3/4T pkp with that engine and tranny for a grassfire truck for the fire department that I am help administer and we've had no problems.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:48:04 PM »
Quote from: grampster
My Nissan pkp has 75000 miles
Wow! You sure there's not an extra zero in there? Tongue
Andy

grampster

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
grampster thumbs nose at cosine.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »
The Duramax is good, the Allison is good...  It's a good truck.  The Dodge diesels are decent engines, but I haven't seen a mopar anything with a transmission and/or differential that wasn't in danger of going out sometime soon.  They are very maintenance-intensive.  The Ford didn't suffer from the weak transmission problem, and the International diesels were good (I don't know much about the newer 6-ish litre engines).

I'm going to have to disagree with DD on the refinement thing.  I've always been impressed with the creature comfort in the Chevy pickups.  The steering and ride are more to my liking, the seats are more comfortable, and the dashboard displays and controls are better.  But I think that has more to do with personal taste.  Both are equally functional.  The big difference I've seen is that, on average, the Chevy pickups that came into the shop had much higher mileage than the Fords, which tends to indicate that they're staying on the road longer.  The only Ford that consistently beat the stock Chevy was the early 80s F150.  Parts are soooo cheap and plentiful for that 302 that a good number of people rebuilt dead or nearly dead ones into daily drivers.  They weren't spectacular work trucks, since they lacked the serious torque needed for hauling, but for around town and light work duty they were great.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »
All good responses, thank you.

Trouble is, I have to talk myself into this one.  My Ford has been great for 180k miles.  Its been repainted twice, re-upholstered once and is due again.  The transmission is tired but the engine is still good.  I'm looking at a $2000+ bill on a new transmission soon, but other than that, the old truck will last a long time, and it does still look good.

My current thinking is to get the Chevy, but keep my old girl.  The big thing with the Chevy is the crew cab.  No matter how much I like my old truck, she only holds two people, three in a pinch.

I'm rationalizing.  I really want this new truck.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Truck dilemma
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:16:00 AM »
My current thinking is to get the Chevy, but keep my old girl.
That's what I'd probably do. It never hurts to have an extra running vehicle around. In case one craps out on you.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 03:10:12 AM »
No way you can beat the $18,000 deal.  If I needed that much truck, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I'd keep the old truck, and check junkyards and EBay for transmissions.  R&R a tranny is just no big deal, even in the shade-tree world.

Go to one of these quick-lube places and get them to do the full-flush on the transmission.  That gets the old fluid (and trash) out of the torque converter as well as the transmission itself.  About $60 but well worth it.

I bought my 2000 GMC PU with 50K on it.  I've put another 50K on it since January of '04.  I'm running synthetic oil.  Oil pressure at cruise is still 60psi, and still getting 18 to 19 mpg at 70 to 75 mph.  Needs sparkplugs. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Declaration Day

• friends
Truck dilemma
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 03:45:28 AM »
Quote from: Azrael256
I'm going to have to disagree with DD on the refinement thing.  I've always been impressed with the creature comfort in the Chevy pickups.  The steering and ride are more to my liking, the seats are more comfortable, and the dashboard displays and controls are better.  But I think that has more to do with personal taste.
By lack of refinement I am talking about things like wide gaps in the body panels and dashboard components, cheap plastic inside, etc.  It looks like Chevy outsourced it's interior moldings to Playskool.

Ride and comfort is great, displays are clear and logically laid out.  

If the new Tahoe is any indication of the next generation Chevy truck, my above complaints will be easily addressed.  Its interior is superb.

BTW Larry that F150 looks new, I'd keep it around as a spare vehicle.

M14rick

Truck dilemma
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 03:52:16 AM »
I had a '90 F150 2WD 302 AT that I was very happy with. It was totalled when a lady "failed to yield right of way" Friday of Laor Day weekend last year. It had 150K on the clock, and was giving 18+ MPG on 2 lane blacktop. I replaced it with a '92 GMC Sierra shortbed 4WD 5.7 AT. I was working at a DaimlerChrysler dealeship at the time, can you guess why I didn't buy their product?
   To get back on topic, two vehicles are nice, we have three for two drivers. If you wake up to a flat or dead battery, just hop in something else. I have driven and worked on all domestic make trucks, I prefer Chevy/GMC and Ford over the other one. I went with a GM brand this time because the wife wanted me to get a 4WD, and  GM 4WD are lower, and easier to get in. She is slightly vertically challenged.
   I would shy from the diesel only because of the maintenance, with the dodge the oil change interval is the same, but the cost is about double. I cant speak to the other marques, though.

grampster

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 05:00:27 AM »
I think you said the Chebby was a C2500.  Your Frod looks like a 4WD.  I'd keep it around too, just for the availability of the 4WD and the ability to bounce around in the boonies to hunt and shoot etc.  without worrying about scratching it up etc.

With it's age and mileage, the value is more to you than what cash you'd get for her.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Truck dilemma
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:23:24 AM »
In general, you can nearly always repair your existing vehicle for far less than you can buy a newer one.  That is assuming the existing vehicle still fits your needs and doesn't have everything wrong with it at once plus a messed up body.  Your Ford looks like brand new to me.

I've always had good luck with Chevy and GMC (older ones anyway - I just buy used ones and then drive them 10 or 15 years more).  I broke tradition and bought my daughter an 89 F-150 4x4 and it is a piece of junk IMO Sad.  The dang manual 5-spedd ought to be in a Mustang or something, because 1st gear is so worthless that you can hardly get started on a hill with load.  It won't even stay put on engine compression in our driveway unless you put it into low range.

But our 91 Suburban just keeps going and going and going with routine maintenance and minor repairs.  My "work truck" is a 1976 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd 4-speed that still runs great - the only problem is you can't go anywhere around here with 2wd when it rains.  I think 1st gear on the transmission on the GMC is lower than low range on the Ford.

I've regretted trading or selling nearly every vehicle that I've ever gotten rid of - especially as the kids got driving age and needed something to bang around in.  I had an old 65 Chevy 6cyl 4sp shortbox stepside that I foolishly sold many years back.  The kid that bought it promptly went out and rolled it Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bg

Truck dilemma
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »
I guess the only thing about the diesel is the fact you have to
change out fuel filters more often and the air cleaner elements
are not the cheapest around. I think Wix and Baldwin make
filters for it, so you might save money by going thru a truck
parts store which carries parts for over-the-road trucks. Maybe not.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Truck dilemma
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 08:33:43 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
I'd keep the old truck, and check junkyards and EBay for transmissions.  R&R a tranny is just no big deal, even in the shade-tree world.
No big deal until you drop one on your chest.  Rent the tranny jack, I tried to be tough guy with a 5 speed tranny in a Suzuki Samurai when I changed the clutch, dropped in on my chest, hurt like a bitch when you can't breath from the wind being knocked out you and have a tranny sitting on your chest.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Truck dilemma
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:49 AM »
You want to try stabbing the whole tranny / transfer case all by yourself while on your back in a driving cold rain with nothing but a couple floor jacks and some rope. It CAN be done but it sure ain't no fun! shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
Truck dilemma
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
A couple things to keep in mind.

If the bank is "settling" for $18.5K then your daughter's and son-in-law's credit may take a hit.  If they are settling for less than full loan value it will show on the credit report.  If that is the actual current loan value then there isn't a problem- that is the payoff.  Just something to keep in mind if you would do this in order to help them out.  If you can afford the full payoff you will be helping them out to a greater degree since they won't take a credit hit.  Of course if you can't afford that, then you can't afford it.  If you can't afford it, and if the blue book value is closer to their loan payoff (I'm thinking on a late model diesel 3/4 ton the blue book is probably significantly more than that $18.5K) they may be better off selling to a stranger.  If you are trying to help them out, maybe help them on the monthly payment until they can sell at the higher price.

Of course, if it is the full payoff, and if the truck is worth more than that $18.5K, they may be trying to help you out thinking you'll be needing a truck soon. cool

On your existing truck...It probably won't be worth a lot on the used market due to the miles.  If you can afford the coming repairs along with the cost of the "new" truck, and if you can afford the insurance on both, you may be best off keeping it as a "beater".  A second vehicle for when the one is in the shop, a second older vehicle for jobs that will be harder on the vehicle cosmetically (I know that trucks aren't for babying, but...), and if the old one is a 4x4 and the old one isn't it may be nice to keep a 4x4.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »
The Chevy is 4WD, so is my F150.  The reason my truck looks so good is that I take a lot of pride in my vehicles, plus I think I'm invisible to cops. Wink  I bought this truck in 1993 and have never been stopped in it.  Clean, nice looking truck with a middle aged guy driving it.

This is only the third truck I've owned, all Ford 4WDs.  The years were 1960, 1975 and 1992, so you see I don't take replacing them lightly.

The Chevy would fit some needs better, being a crew cab.  In fact if I get it, we'll probably drive it to Tulsa on March 31st.  My Ford gets LOUSY fuel mileage (351), I get about 13 in town and 16-17 on the highway.  The diesel should do better, but then diesel fuel is higher.

Art, I really don't need that much truck either, although I'll tow a tractor on a flatbed once in a while, or three tons of hay.  The little F150 struggles with that, but I've just put up with it.

I think I'm going to get this truck, providing the bank goes along with it.  And I think I'm going to keep the Ford, we've always wished we had a third vehicle.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
I checked the local "Colorado Truck Trader".  Asking prices on comparable vehicles is around 30k and up.  I'm going to ask my daughter if her credit is going to take a hit.  If it is, maybe the  thing they could do is find a used car dealer who would give them 24-25k, pay off the bank, and get a cheaper vehicle.

Oh, there's one thing I don't lie about the Chevy, its BLACK.

Declaration Day

• friends
Truck dilemma
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 09:24:58 AM »
Quote from: Larry Ashcraft
Oh, there's one thing I don't like about the Chevy, its BLACK.
Mine is black, too.  I didn't have much choice either.  The configuration I wanted is rare, so I either had to take what was available and get the $3500 rebate, or special order one at full price.

Of course, black is a real pain to keep clean.  But I keep it clean and waxed as much as possible, and it is gorgeous.  As long as you do the same, you'll have the nicest looking truck around.

Not the greatest pic, but the only one I have:

chaim

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 09:45:54 AM »
I forgot with my earlier post----

You guys have got to stop posting about trucks.  Definately you need to stop with the pics.

I've been barely able to resist getting rid of my 2004 Sonata (I do love my Hyundai) and getting a truck.  I've always wanted a pick-up but see them as more practical for second vehicles.  I also like SUVs but since I don't have a family or trailer I went for better gas miliage and less cost.  But lately its been hard to resist.  I'm thinking I'd like to get a trailer and I can only tow 2K with my Sonata- barely enough for the lightest pop-ups plus some gear.  I also like that a good truck will last pretty much forever.   But, I took a big pay cut to get my current job and finally enter the field I've been wanting to work in.  I'm about to go to graduate school which will be expensive.  So, a second vehicle isn't in the cards.  I owe more on my Sonata right now than it is worth so trading/selling it isn't a good option.  Meanwhile, you guys aren't making it easy to wait

Declaration Day

• friends
Truck dilemma
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 11:01:13 AM »
Quote from: chaim

You guys have got to stop posting about trucks.  Definately you need to stop with the pics.

Meanwhile, you guys aren't making it easy to wait
Chaim, just so we're on the same page, do you mean like this?

BTW the Sonata is a great car, and I envy your fuel economy.

chaim

• friend
Truck dilemma
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
Quote from: Declaration Day
Quote from: chaim

Meanwhile, you guys aren't making it easy to wait
Chaim, just so we're on the same page, do you mean like this?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DeclarationDay/Chevytruck2.jpg

BTW the Sonata is a great car, and I envy your fuel economy.
OK, so now you guys are just trying to tease me.  Nice, very nice Cheesy

Yup, I do very much like my Sonata.  Comfortable, mostly reliable (it does concern me that my one minor problem has happened twice though- two of the same issue could be it wasn't fixed well the first time, or it could signal a problem in the future), decent fuel economy, and very inexpensive.  I wish I could afford my Sonata AND a truck, but unfortunately that isn't an option.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Truck dilemma
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
Cheesy

Looks just about like that, only crew cab and short bed.

Declaration Day

• friends
Truck dilemma
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »
Quote from: Larry Ashcraft
Cheesy

Looks just about like that, only crew cab and short bed.
I decided against the crew cab for the following reasons:

1) The suicide doors are just too cool.

2) On Chevys, the Crew cab is only marginally larger than the extended cab, but it's a lot more expensive.

3) I am 6'2" and can comfortably fit in that back seat.  Given that I use that seat mostly for stuff and not people, and that I am always in the driver's seat, I couldn't justify the extra cost of the crew cab.

Quote from: Chaim
I wish I could afford my Sonata AND a truck, but unfortunately that isn't an option.
I wish I could afford my truck AND a Sonata, but unfortunately that isn't an option.  Want to move near me and share?