Author Topic: Career dillema - surveying?  (Read 625 times)

Smith

• friend
Career dillema - surveying?
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:42:46 AM »
OK, I did video system and timing system design for the military for years...then I decided I wanted to be an Architectural Engineer...only problem is, the math (calculus) is KILLING me.  So...I'm rethinking my future (at 31, lol) and I'm thinking surveying might be good for me.  I like being outside but I'd like a technical job.  I love working with maps and exploring areas.  I think that surveying might appeal to me.  Are any of you folks surveyors?  If so, how do you like it?  Can you tell me a little about it?  What do you do the most of, and is it interesting to you?  How do you like the pay (what is the pay?)

Ultimately I might get into Geomatics and do some mapping that way, but the math courses still might slay me, lol.  I've already looked and I can handle the math that is needed for regular surveying.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:04 AM »
I'm not a surveyor, but I'm the son of a civil engineer/surveyor, and did a lot of it over the years.

The changes in technology over the past 20 years have been nothing short of amazing. The new total stations are incredible, and can make what used to take 5 hours take an hour. The part that I really liked about it was the courthouse and archives work. More than once I ended up at the state archives in Harrisburg researching land grants issued by William Penn or one of his heirs.

The field work could also be interesting, but there were times when it was a real pain in the butt, such as having to carry a 40 pound transit and tripod pretty much straight up the side of a mountain.

I can't tell you how many times I got sunburned, wind chapped, frozen to with in an inch of solidity, while surveying.

Unfortunately, I could never handle the math, so I never followed in my father's footsteps as a surveyor/civil engineer.

What I could handle, though, was the triganometry that surveying required. Trig was also the only math class that I ever really did well in, largely because I could see its practical applications, and because I had been applying basic trig for so many years by the time I got to that class.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:26:22 AM »
Well, I have kinda made a previous career out of going to inhospitable places for fun...northern Greenland several times, Iraq and the rest of the Middle East, and the deserts of SW USA.  Lots of fun for me most all the time.  I rather enjoyed the weather experiences.