Author Topic: The Guns That Never Were....  (Read 33738 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The Guns That Never Were....
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »
Another want:
16" Lever gun in .45 ACP.

Tube magazine goodness!  Load it on Sunday, shoot it all week!  That stubby little cartridge is nearly as short as a .22LR.  Extraction could be tricky, though, especially if you get folks hotrodding the .45acp into a .45 Super or .460 Rowland power factor... using slow powders.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  A straight 20-round mag in that configuration would look pretty good.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
I met a guy at my gun club a couple of years ago that had a factory Colt 1911 chamberd in .38 Special. The gun was fitted out with a Bomar rib sight set up and was a very nice pistol. Guy claimed he had been on the USAF pistol team, I found no reason to doubt him.

Jim Clark out of Lousiana used to make those conversions. Only problems is that they only fed wadcutter loads...and those not too well. The Coonan conversions could feed any type of .38SPL load fairly reliably.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
An Ithaca model 49-r* that wasn't a jam-o-matic.

* = lever action .22LR

How does a single shot rifle "jam"  ???

Mine sometimes fails to eject, if you don't open the lever fast enough.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
The -49 that I had didn't extract, I had to dig each shell out with my fingernail, but I never complained :cool:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
A cheap carbine (Sub2k or Hi-Point) in 7.62x25mm.
Definitely.

I'd like to see a new Pedersen device for various calibers, like 7.62 Tok in a Mosin-Nagant, or even 5.45X39.  I'd like a single-stack concealable pistol in 5.7X28, with 1903 Colt styling.  I also want to see a replica Johnson rifle, in various calibers--.223 especially.  I like the idea of a modern revolver--.38 or .357--with a break-top.

I want a Crimson Trace grip for my Makarov.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2010, 02:18:24 AM »
I have no problem with the M1 Carbine in .30; I have a reliable National Postal Meter as my primary home defense rifle.  I still think 7.62x25 would be a fun alternative.

I agree about the design being carried over more directly to  .223, but I would think that AK-style mags would be easier to adapt to the receiver.

I don't know that it would be easier, since you'd be making a larger/longer receiver from scratch anyway, but it certainly wouldn't be cheaper, because .223 using AR mags would require a slide in magwell extension. Which means a bigger more complex forging... LOL who am I kidding. I mean CASTING.

The M1 pretty much uses slide in style now, but that's for the much more diminutive magazine, and the release is centerline more like an AK or a FAL's.  I agree the "rock in" AK style would certainly be easier, and keep the more correct m1 profile.

As to the mags, as AJ said, the M1 Carbine is already a straight insert magazine with a laterally moving (sideways) push button mag catch. This most closely resembles the magazine retention system of the M16 rather than the AK, more so when you look at the slight modification they did with the M2 Carbine in which the latch now reaches around the left side of the magazine and holds there as well exactly as the M16 does. Plus you have a bit wider selection of AR mags than .223 AK mags, especially regarding higher capacity items like the C-mag.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2010, 06:14:23 AM »
I like the idea of a modern revolver--.38 or .357--with a break-top.

Double me up on that one.  I understand the Russians have or had one like that in a .357-ish equivalent caliber, though.

I'd like to see a Thompson submachine gun and a WWII "Grease Gun" (M3?)  scaled down to the .380 cartridge.

Except for the trigger guard.

Semiauto, of course.

Totally impractical, and a market base of 1 (me) but I kind of like miniaturization.  That's one reason I like my locked-breech Llama .380 Auto.  It, and all the parts in it, are scaled down to about 5/8 the size of the 1911.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2010, 07:24:19 AM »
Modern topbreak in .357 Magnum......

MP-412 REX.

Good luck getting one though, they were never put into production due to a lack of market. You would likely need to get the blueprints and contract a gunsmith who specialized in revolvers to make you a one off if you really wanted it.

Edit: While not a "modern" design, Uberti does make some very nice repros of the Schofield top breaks with modern metallurgy and some appropriate beefing up in a few areas. I'm particularly partial to their 1875 Russian model which you can get in either .44 Russian or .45 Colt (which, I believe, can handle modern .45 Colt loadings, though you'd do well to ask the people at Uberti to be sure.)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:34:52 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2010, 08:32:05 AM »
Small-frame 5-shot top-break alloy frame snubbie in 9mm (moon clips) with the cylinder shortened to accommodate the 9mm.

No. .45 Auto.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
How does a single shot rifle "jam"  ???

Mine's a repeater with a 14(LR)-round tube mag under the barrel.

If it ejects properly, you're lucky if the next round pops into the carrier properly.  If that happens, you're lucky if it makes the trip to the chamber, and doesn't jam against the back of the barrel when you try to send it home.

My dad could work it pretty good when he was teaching me to shoot.  Now that it's mine, I can't figure out the magic touch.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »
Well, duh - I never knew they made a repeater version  :facepalm:

There does seem to be a trick to lever actions though, even with my Marlin 39: You have to work the lever authoritatively, and don't point the muzzle down - keep it level.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
Darn right, don't let those squirrels see any signs of weakness.  You keep that rifle level and don't take no nuts from nobody.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
Darn right, don't let those squirrels see any signs of weakness.  You keep that rifle level and don't take no nuts from nobody.

That's why they call them level actions  :lol:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2010, 12:15:22 AM »
Edit: While not a "modern" design, Uberti does make some very nice repros of the Schofield top breaks with modern metallurgy and some appropriate beefing up in a few areas. I'm particularly partial to their 1875 Russian model which you can get in either .44 Russian or .45 Colt (which, I believe, can handle modern .45 Colt loadings, though you'd do well to ask the people at Uberti to be sure.)

If it can take modern .45 Colt loads, and not just the balloon-head BP cowboy type loads, that would be a hell of a gun to give the "Blade Runner" treatment to.  >:D
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

No dice on the modern .45Colt loads....they're SAA/Cowboy loads only....and I'd love to have one in .357....  :'(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
Moar wants:

Kel Tec sub in .45ACP that takes 1911 mags. 

AR 15 based subgun.  Not a modified mag well jobber, but an honest to goodness one built around say .45.  SBR, maybe 10", with a shorter buffer tube to allow for a shorter LOP adjustable stock.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
I'll second both of those, and an M9 in .45 ACP with a single-stack magazine.
D. R. ZINN

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2010, 05:05:35 AM »
Would it be possible from an engineering perspective to build a copy of the Webley in .44 Mag? :cool: =D
Or would it blow to pieces? =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »
Would it be possible from an engineering perspective to build a copy of the Webley in .44 Mag? :cool: =D
Or would it blow to pieces? =(

You could probably do it, the top strap and locking mechanism would be rather large though to handle the pressure. If you didn't mind it being bigger than a regular 44mag revolver it's probably doable.
Look, tiny text!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »
Moar wants:

Kel Tec sub in .45ACP that takes 1911 mags. 

AR 15 based subgun.  Not a modified mag well jobber, but an honest to goodness one built around say .45.  SBR, maybe 10", with a shorter buffer tube to allow for a shorter LOP adjustable stock.

I've no idea who, or where to find it, but some guy on Arfcom had subgun AR lowers that narrowed down to fit the profile of the subgun mags only, not a .223 well with blocks in it etc. Looked really slick. I think it was a 7.62x25 job.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
Bring back the stainless M6 survival rifle, please.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
I've no idea who, or where to find it, but some guy on Arfcom had subgun AR lowers that narrowed down to fit the profile of the subgun mags only, not a .223 well with blocks in it etc. Looked really slick. I think it was a 7.62x25 job.

Closer.  But imagine the magwell being the appropriate size from top to bottom, front to back, side to side, to fit the magazine.  Maybe grease gun mags.  The bolt and bolt carrier would be shorter, since something like .45ACP is shorter than a .223. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
Closer.  But imagine the magwell being the appropriate size from top to bottom, front to back, side to side, to fit the magazine.  Maybe grease gun mags.  The bolt and bolt carrier would be shorter, since something like .45ACP is shorter than a .223. 

One designed to take the Suomi KP/-31 36rd 9mm magazines would be nice. Those are well designed and very compact for what they hold.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
I'd like a single-stack concealable pistol in 5.7X28, with 1903 Colt styling.

How about just reviving the 1903 Colt, but offering it in some CC-friendly DuraCoated stainless, with a barrel and recoil spring kit to convert it to .25NAA for the .32ACP version and .32NAA for the .380?

It's a great little pistol for concealment, but the surviving 1903s are hard to find and prohibitively expensive, and I'm not sure how well the original frames would handle those NAA wildcats.