Author Topic: Do you have trouble beliving Global Warming is causeing these bad winters ...  (Read 7512 times)

Desertdog

• friends
and the cool summers around the world?   To me they are still trying to scam us.  I will admit, they really sound good, I just don't believe a word of it.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/557597/201012221907/The-Abiding-Faith-Of-Warm-ongers.aspx

Columbia, SC has first Christmas snow since records kept in 1887...
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9KBLRDG0&show_article=1

zxcvbob

• friend
I believe global climate change has very little to do with short-term local weather except maybe at the poles. 

Global Warmingâ„¢ (a.k.a. Anthropogenic Climate Changeâ„¢) is a scam.  Real science is not run by consensus, nor by cherry-picking the data and discarding any that doesn't support whomever is funding your research.

I think climate change is real, but for the most part it is a natural cycle that humans have little influence over.  We may even be in a cooling cycle rather than warming.  That doesn't mean we should be burning up all of our fossil fuels as fast as we can -- our grandkids may need that fuel if we don't develop alternative energy sources.
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
^^^ This.
Formerly sumpnz

SADShooter

• friend
Hey, the Bush-Cheney Atmosphere Manipulation System was so successful at target-throwing a hurricane that they've had to find a subtler, less focused use for it to keep it off the radar. Just sayin'.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Another ice age would be a mammoth problem  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20100121/

this is the only data i could get right now, as i need to go shovel the driveway.  is there a more reputable sight than nasa for this info? 

personally i hope it warms another 10 degrees so our catskill winters will be more like south jersey!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Good article Ron, thanks.

Geronimotwo - NO NO NO!!! That's the last thing you want. Do you really want to see MTV and Snookie show up for "The Catskills Shore"?!?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
i'm just waiting for an excuse to buy a speedo!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

NickySantoro

Do you have trouble believing Global Warming is causing these bad winters ... 

Not at all. That shibboleth covers all the bases.
Too hot?  Global warming!
Too cold? Global warming!
Shoes too tight? Global warming!
Backside itches? Global Warming!
Cat died? Global warming!
And it's all the fault of the Evil One, Reganbushquaylecheneyhaliburtonlimbaugh.

Lee

• friend
I'm from Missouri (show me).  I don't know what is causing the weather to be different from what I've seen in the past...but it does seem to be different now than the past 50 years I've experienced.  I realize there is a lot of BS politics involved on both sides of this discussion (mostly on the left) but on the other hand, I can't imagine the stuff we're putting in the air we breathe is good for us or the planet. My Grandpa was a conservationist in the 50-60s.  He was also a pretty conservative guy politically.  But back then, conservatism also included ideas like 'waste not - want not' and 'don't crap where you eat'.  Even most animals understand that. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I believe global climate change has very little to do with short-term local weather except maybe at the poles. 

Global Warmingâ„¢ (a.k.a. Anthropogenic Climate Changeâ„¢) is a scam.  Real science is not run by consensus, nor by cherry-picking the data and discarding any that doesn't support whomever is funding your research.

I think climate change is real, but for the most part it is a natural cycle that humans have little influence over.  We may even be in a cooling cycle rather than warming.  That doesn't mean we should be burning up all of our fossil fuels as fast as we can -- our grandkids may need that fuel if we don't develop alternative energy sources.

This is one of the most succinct statements of my opinion, too, that I have seen.  The computer models are only as good as the data, and both the models and the data will no doubt continue to be refined over time. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cambeul41

• friend
Clean air, reforestation,conservation, recycling . . . splendid, go for it.

Computer modeling?  GIGO.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Last night on Fox they did the True Believer vs Denier segment.

True Believer stated that it's Global Warming, Climate Change, Climate Chaos now.   Yep, whatever happens it's us human's fault for screwing up the Erf because of all the fossil fuels we're burning.

The fact that the Sun (that big, glowy, yellow thingy in the sky that is the source of almost all energy* and the weather/climate here on Erf) is at a low in energy output all across the spectrum.   

Permaychancebe that is why the weather is "colder" and worse then in years past ?? 

NAH !!! Humans are to blame !!

*except Nuclear Power
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
OMG! the snow has NEVER melted here before!

But you know, the remains of the ancient forest under where all that snow was is pretty interesting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend

And it's all the fault of the Evil One, Reganbushquaylecheneyhaliburtonlimbaugh.

You forgot Palin.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
A few years ago, I could swear they blamed everything weather related on El Nino. It was like the Fistful of weather disasters.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
Hockey pucks.

It's the sample size, stupid!

You look at the "hockey stick" graph from the 1880s and compare it with the (admittedly) imputed data for the past five hundred thousand years, the "hockey stick" data is so insignificant in the long run that it's ridiculous to do any hand-wringing over it.

I'm not implying that recent temperature measurements are false or faulty, just that it's too small a sample.

Yeah, the long-term information from past millenia is "imputed" data, but it shows a fairly regular hundred thousand year cycling overlaid on large short-term variations, and if this "imputed" data is so bad, it would not show such a regularity of the cycles. 

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it for now.  But I'm basically "scientifically conservative," so I may change my mind after two more 100,000 year cycles.  Just to make sure.

But in the meantime, it leaves me open to consider other suggestions as to why the "hockey stick" data is causing such a panic.  Must be something else involved to explain why some climatologists seem to be married to the ideas that (A) there is long-term global warming in the first place, and (B) that CO2 generation (and other greenhouse gases) is causing it, based on a mere 126 years' worth of data.

And it seems to me that I recollect 50 years ago reading articles allowin' as to how we're heading into a new ice age.  But of course, 50 years ago, science was still science and Terry was still Terry and hockey sticks were still things you batted hockey pucks around with.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:33:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20100121/

this is the only data i could get right now, as i need to go shovel the driveway.  is there a more reputable sight than nasa for this info? 

personally i hope it warms another 10 degrees so our catskill winters will be more like south jersey!
I believe the claim in that article was proven false later.  2009 wasn't the warmest year on record.  I they found an error and realized that was back in the 90's, and averages had cooled since then.

I don't think NASA is a reputable sight on this subject.  I would not assume any govt site is reputable on this political subject.  1) They are being given a lot of money to study this issue and they are not going to endanger their funding by saying it isn't a problem.  2) I forget the name, but one of the most rabid pro-global warmest nut balls works for NASA.  I don't trust anything coming out of there without full disclosure. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ned Hamford

• friend
I don't think NASA is a reputable sight on this subject. 

Well, you do recall that their new mandate is improving muslim relations  :P

Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

HankB

• friend
Global warming alarmism actually has very little to do with affecting the climate, and a great deal to do with transferring wealth from my pocket to someone else's.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels

"Why we can't beat the Soviets" is the best part.  :laugh:

stevelyn

• friend
Do you have trouble beliving Global Warming is causeing these bad winters ...

Uhh....... Yeah. I never believed in the first place. I just considered the source. The people pushing it never held any credibility with me on anything.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.