Author Topic: Giant stick mags  (Read 12378 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Giant stick mags
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
I don't think much of mag size enforced by law, but I do think that it's more than a little grotesque to keep making and selling an object that seems to have become a symbol of mass murder.

One could say the same about light beer and DUI, or sports cars and reckless driving, or junk food and obesity.  Each of the three kills far more people than firearms every year.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
4, can't allow those high capacity 1911's or assault revolvers dodge the ban!

Hmm. Assault revolver. Is that one with black plastic stocks?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:48 AM »
Hmm. Assault revolver. Is that one with black plastic stocks?

It's the one with that thing that goes around.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 06:07:56 AM »
assault revolver:

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:02 AM »
Speaking of 33 round mags, I heard some radio guys claiming that the "high capacity clips" the guy used were already illegal in Arizona.  Is that true or were they misinformed?  I didn't think Arizona had a law like that. 

I tried one high capacity Glock mag in 40 cal, but the damn thing never has worked.  I think it is a knock off copy though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »
One could say the same about light beer and DUI, or sports cars and reckless driving, or junk food and obesity.  Each of the three kills far more people than firearms every year.

Oh, please. Really? Are you kidding me?

Oh, alright, while we're going there: I don't drive a sports car and never will, both because I don't care for the costs/maintenance/restricted use and because I don't care for the image it projects.  I'm not obese, both because I didn't like being unhealthy and unattractive and because I didn't care for the assumptions people make about fat people.  I chose to get in shape instead of to get fatter.  And I don't buy much junk food because it's mostly nasty and I don't like it.  Not sure how this is different from saying I like a firearm accessory.  I. Just. Don't. Like. It.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:58:49 AM by BridgeWalker »

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
Speaking of 33 round mags, I heard some radio guys claiming that the "high capacity clips" the guy used were already illegal in Arizona.  Is that true or were they misinformed?  I didn't think Arizona had a law like that.  

I tried one high capacity Glock mag in 40 cal, but the damn thing never has worked.  I think it is a knock off copy though.

I have seen that assertion floating around the internet a lot the past couple days.  There are absolutely no capacity restrictions in AZ.  

As far as the bigger Glock mags in .40, Glock only just started making 22 round mags in the past year or so for .40/.357 so any on the market before that were definitely non-glock manufacture.  

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
Seems like gun-forum members would not object to gun-related things just because some people have a bad perception of them. Seems in bad taste to do so. Ask Jim Zumbo.

It's ONE item. I object to them because I have a bad perception of them. I don't care what you do you with them, other than if you want to wave it in my face and say "Hey, look, I got the Cho special! I'm going to think a lot less of you."

I withdraw my statement that Glock ought not to make them based on my experience with people using them exclusively as a symbol of mass-murder, as it is clear that that is not as common or as pervasvie as my experience has led me to believe. However, I still have no plans to ever use one, both because my range disallows using it fully and because I find it distasteful.  

Most of my family stopped buying Chryslers when they were bought by Daimler. Yes, I see the symbolic meanings of things.  They are not a basis for legislation, nonetheless, they do exist.

And since I'd never heard of 33-round mags being used illegally until yesterday (and I don't know what Zyklon B is), I'd guess most Americans are ignorant of these things as well. May not be so much of an image problem as one might think.

Poison of choice in Nazi gas chambers, same mag was used at VA Tech. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:48:21 AM by BridgeWalker »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Didn't the guy at V-Tech have the 33 round mags?  I could be mistaken.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
I tried one high capacity Glock mag in 40 cal, but the damn thing never has worked.  I think it is a knock off copy though.

What I have heard (InterWebz hearsay, YMMV) is that the 9mm extended magazines are the only reliable ones.  Not sure why that'd be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
How does everyone feel about fertilizer? Killed 168.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
Didn't the guy at V-Tech have the 33 round mags?  I could be mistaken.

Nope.  Stock 15 rounder for his Glock 19 and 10 round mags for the Walther P22.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Speaking of 33 round mags, I heard some radio guys claiming that the "high capacity clips" the guy used were already illegal in Arizona.  Is that true or were they misinformed?  I didn't think Arizona had a law like that. 

I see he's never been out to a IPSC shoot in AZ. Giant mags everywhere, it must be blood running in the streets.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

Really?  If you're sure about that, then I take back everything I've said in this thread, and wonder why the heck that dude was bragging about his mag specifically using Cho's name.   ???

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Seriously, never mind. Knee-jerk reaction based on apparently incorrect information relayed by a guy who was being a jerk, combined with current events.  Never have had any problems with large mags in general, have never suggested any legislative ban on them would be ok, would never support such a thing.  Never mind.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:32 AM »

That was my understanding as well, he used the 15-rounders and had reloads ready to go in addition to extra mags for the Walther.    

One thing that is common to mass shooting that causes the large body counts is that people react when someone starts shooting. Time and time again you hear accounts of people huddling on the floor hoping the shooter will pass them over.  This is what allowed cho in particular to keep executing people, reloading and executing some more.  

The accounts on the local news of survivors of the Tuscon incident indicate that people were doing the same thing. They just huddled on the ground and waited to die.  It wasn't until someone did something that a few others did as well.    

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

Really?  If you're sure about that, then I take back everything I've said in this thread, and wonder why the heck that dude was bragging about his mag specifically using Cho's name.   ???

Don't take back everything.  Dude who bought the 33rd Glock mag in honor of Cho is still creepy.  But, now you can also consider him a nitwit.

I call that a win.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
I'm not buying anything I wouldn't buy otherwise myself.  I might buy a bit more of it, but rather than buying a Glock, I'll just buy another vintage revolver.  That way, if no bans materialize, I have stuff I'm more likely to enjoy.

Same conclusion I came to: buy what I like* instead of buying out of fear.

* single action six-guns and lever action rifles  :cool:

And as far as these 30+ pistol mags, Glock ought to put a warning label on them that says:

"Do not use this magazine to shoot large numbers of innocent people."

That ought to take care of the problem  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
Same conclusion I came to: buy what I like* instead of buying out of fear.

* single action six-guns and lever action rifles  :cool:

And as far as these 30+ pistol mags, Glock ought to put a warning label on them that says:

"Do not use this magazine to shoot large numbers of innocent people."

That ought to take care of the problem  :P

I'm waiting for Ruger to emblazon something to that effect on the sides of the barrels of their firearms.  The other side of the barrel from the current warning label is a blank canvas still!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
If - and I do not know if this is the case - these magazines are reliable - why would I want anything less than the largest metric buttload of ammo for a full-size carry pistol? [Question does not apply if you want a smaller gun]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
better ban the movies from glamorizing the tools:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Matrix_Reloaded%2C_The
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
Kinda hard to CCW an american 180
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
Well, anyway - speaking of large mags - it's just too bad that the black Tea Party guy wasn't there with his Ar-15 on a sling.

He could have taken care of the nutcase real fast  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
As long as you're not buying stuff you wouldn't otherwise buy just because "it might get banned/regulated".  There was a guy on THR years ago (before 2004) whining because of the health and financial hardships he suffered because he poured his wealth into ARs and AKs just before the ban went into effect.  Then he didn't want to sell any to pay for the health/dental care he needed.

I'm not buying anything I wouldn't buy otherwise myself.  I might buy a bit more of it, but rather than buying a Glock, I'll just buy another vintage revolver.  That way, if no bans materialize, I have stuff I'm more likely to enjoy.

Chris

Nope, I'm not buying like that.  Can't afford it.  The word I'd use to describe it is "focused".  The actual count hasn't really gone up significantly, because a lot of acquisition is by trading. The collection has shifted, like I said, to (mostly) common guns in common chamberings.  What I get I use, mostly.

another vintage revolver

Someday, someone's going to have something that will make me divest myself of my Model 19.  And I'll regret it for the rest of my life, even though that's the one piece that gets out to play the least.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »
Most of my gun related purchasing, since GWB's second midterm election, has been based on the assumption that we'll be facing some problems.  I've been trying to get away from oddball stuff, into standard chamberings, and into guns I can get parts for.  Bullet casting, and more handloading bits.  Buy more ammo than I shoot.

I'm not where I want to be.  We gunnies never quite are.  And,  there's always that pesky money thing.  But I'm in a fair bit better shape than I was 4 years ago.

Agreed. I won't go so far as to say I'm in much better shape than I was four years ago, but I DO believe we're going to face a never-ending onslaught of gun control proposals until the Dems are out of office AND the SCOTUS starts clamping down on a bunch of the "presumtively Constitutional" gun control laws that are on the books, and will soon be on the books.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design