Author Topic: Anyone with a knife recommendation?  (Read 6515 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Anyone with a knife recommendation?
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »
My oldest son is earning his Arrow of Light (top award for Cub Scouts) and is about to cross-over from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts.  Along those lines, as a gift, I'm thinking of getting him a knife for camping and such.  He's got a Swiss Army Knife, which he's used in Cub Scouting, and I was thinking of something a little bigger with a locking blade, maybe a litle stronger for camping use.  My first thought was a classic...a Buck 0110 Hunter, or the slightly smaller 0112 Ranger?  Anyone with any other suggestions?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Anyone with a knife recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
Must it be a folder? Or would a small fixed-blade be acceptable?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
I know you asked for locking-blade knife recommendations, but I HIGHLY recommend the Mora Swedish Military fixed-blade knife.  It's the best knife I've ever owned, despite its low price.  Standard issue in my militia unit.

The sheath is not all that great, but you can buy or make a better one.  

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=78455
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:41:48 PM by Declaration Day »

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
British commando knife, perfect for slipping between the 4th and 5th ribs.  Oh, for your son....  Sorry, my bad. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Something traditional. An AK bayonet with scabbard should make a dandy camp knife.  With wire cutter!

Or a puukko.  

The envy of his Boy Scout buddies.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:51:38 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
12" blade Bowie knife with compass in the handle  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
British commando knife, perfect for slipping between the 4th and 5th ribs.  Oh, for your son....  Sorry, my bad. =D
Cool kids put it through the top of the shoulder and nick the subclavian.

Marttiini makes cheap and extremely sharp fixed-blade knives. Shaving-sharp, they are. 

Spartan Blades makes some excellent knives, too. Their Enyo is the best neck knife I've come across. They managed to make a kydex sheath that fits the knife tightly, so inverted carry is no problem. Very handy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »
Buck has a custom shop where you can get a 110 customized with better steels ad handle scales.
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=customKnife.build

Blind Horse Knives make good quality, yet fairly inexpensive fixed blade knives that might be attractive for a small kid.  One of their patch knives would be nice.  I use one for small game hunting. http://www.blindhorseknives.com/patchknives.htm

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
For maximum utility I'd do something like a Leatherman wave or an equivalent.  However, I would also be cognizant of the age of the person it was given to and want to do something less expensive given the odds it will be lost.  I lost a couple of swiss army knives in boy scouts when they fell out of my pocket.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
More information:  I'm thinking folder at this point because some Boy Scouts troops are leery of fixed blade knives, and some camps outright ban them for boys.  A folder won't be an issue for him.

Second, I have plans for fixed blade knives down the road.  This is a gift to celebrate his Arrow of Light, and something that will prove useful to him in Scouts, and maybe through life. I thought a classic design may be nice...

Third, he's just shy of eleven.  He's lost or broken three thumb drives for school so far this year.  He's on his third flashlight for camping since he started Cub Scouts. At $40, I won't cry if he breaks or loses the Buck.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
Here's an interesting knife:
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-funny-folder-aluminum-and-aus-8/p/RUShhhFF3AL/
And a more expensive one that I'm fond of:
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-agents-office-knife/p/RUShhhCA24S/
This one was EDC forever, until the clip screw fell off:
http://www.agrussell.com/gerber-mini-covert/p/GE6924/

Many, many more at the AG Russell website.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with a folding buck. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
I just plain love my sub-$30 Victorinox One Hand Trekker (with locking blade):
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Trekker-Classic-Knife/dp/B000VY4OJS/ref=sr_1_4?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1294779288&sr=1-4

I carry mine every day in my front pocket.  I use it every stinking day.

You can open it with one hand & it'll stay open, plus you've got the other tools.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
SOG Clip

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4232062&CAWELAID=545492686

I've had mine since the late 1990's and I love it, lightweight and holds an edge for long time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
I know you asked for locking-blade knife recommendations, but I HIGHLY recommend the Mora Swedish Military fixed-blade knife.  It's the best knife I've ever owned, despite its low price.  Standard issue in my militia unit.

The sheath is not all that great, but you can buy or make a better one.  

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=78455

I second [third?] the call for a Mora. In their price group, they're supposed to be some of the best knives out there.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
What, no Spetznaz shovel?
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
I hate to say it, but something that has "woodsy" look to it, stag handles, like the Buck BSA model, or ones that look like the Case knives, or wooden scales like a Mora or Opinel etc.

Or one that's idenfifiably Swiss Army like the Trekker is good too.

It's just as dumb as the looks of various rifles, but the AG Russel "funny folder" could be construed as a butterfly knife. (by a dunderhead, but this is who you're protecting your son from)

The look of the Agent's Office Knife is perfect, save for the fact it's double-edged. Someone in the troop or at camp will absolutely soil themselves once they figure that out.  =|

You want to shield him from anyone who'll go bliss-ninny on him because they're accusing him of thought-crime for a knife that looks too modern or "tactical".

One possibility though is CRKT offers some of their M-16 line, but with blaze orange scales through REI. Might give the kid enough "evil tactical" look to make him happy, but the blaze-orange still says "tool" and takes away some of the "evil". (plus is high-viz to keep him from losing it, or another kid from appropriating it.)

http://www.rei.com/product/760507

I think there's a drop-point one, the tanto isn't as useful to a general purpose woods/camping knife.
I promise not to duck.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
Folder: Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT), SOG, Cold Steel, or Opinel (or Buck), roughly in order of my preference.  I'm not keen on wood handled knives, but then I'm mostly a city creature.

Mora knives look interesting and they're certainly very inexpensive, but they don't appeal to me.

bladeforums.com is a great resource to lurk around on.  I think you have to register to search.  Personally I like Benchmade axis lock knives... and butterfly knives, but I'm sure those are a no-go for your son. :)

SAKs (Swiss Army Knives) are a joke IMO.  A Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox multi-tool is so much more practical.  A SAK is okay for opening packages and trimming nails, but that's about all I'd use one for.  The tools on a SAK are too flimsy.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

A Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox multi-tool is so much more practical.

+1 on the multi-tool.....a good Leatherman will be more useful for a Boy Scout than just about anything.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »
Mora knives look interesting and they're certainly very inexpensive, but they don't appeal to me.

They're not flashy at all, but my Scout is at least four years old, and still looks brand new sitting in the door pocket of my Blazer.  It's still got the factory edge on it, which was just a few strokes on a razor strop away from being a better razor than my Mach 3.  The Classic I got at the same time has seen more use, but still only one or two touch up sharpenings.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:05:13 AM »
Opinel #6 with the high-carbon steel blade.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 02:12:38 AM »
+1 on the multi-tool.....a good Leatherman will be more useful for a Boy Scout than just about anything.....

Honestly, I don't care for multitools...uncomfortable handles, sometimes you can't use a tool like you would the normal size version (ex: tightning a screw that's set in a recess...no problem with a standard screwdriver with a long shaft, but the leatherman can't get to it). I think I recall tossing it into my aviation survival kit, but I haven't seen my leatherman in a while nor have I ever wished I had it on me...

For me, I find that a solid blade gets much more use for all kinds of tasks, from opening boxes to stripping wire to being used as a prybar (yeah, I know you aren't supposed too, but...). I suggest for PC looks and decent performance a lockback Case or Buck knife...make sure it's made in the USA. He'll likely cut himself a bit more with a slipjoint, so I don't suggest one of those (but it will teach him knife safety...that's how I learned...). Whatever you get for him, I'd take him to a good store and let him pick it out as a reward. That way, it'll fit his hands, be comfortable, and he can be sure of opening it easily (ultracheap knives that were given to me as a kid were always hard to open)...

Personally, I favor the Kershaw Blur...but you can imagine how an assisted opening knife would go with the blisninnies..."It's a switchblade!111!!!!". the Kershaw Storm is also a great option (non assist, a bit smaller than the Blur but similar shape, and at $30, about $20 cheaper than the Blur)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
Spyderco Delica. I've been carrying one daily for nearly 20 years (not the same one, I've lost a few).

SAKs are great as long as you stay with the simpler models (knife, can opener, flat/phillips screwdriver), the bigger they are the bigger joke they become. I prefer Wengers simply because their flat screwdriver locks when you put pressure on it so you don't ruin your finger and the piece your working one if the screwdriver folds while putting pressure on it.

Multitools: hate em. There isn't much you can do with a multitool that you couldn't do better, cheaper, and with a lot less weight with a simple SAK and a pair of needle nosed pliers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
Right now I have a CRKT M16-03 in my pocket - thin, light, easy one-hand opening and closing, a good "everyday" knife when you work in an office.

The Buck 110 Folding Hunter is also a very fine knife for the price . . . if it's a bit heavier and bulkier, it's also a better tool if you're going to use it a lot.

If he doesn't already have one, you might consider getting your son a good knife sharpener too . . . I use a Lansky with good results. (Bald spots on my arms prove you can get a knife "shaving sharp" easily.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
Honestly, I don't care for multitools...uncomfortable handles, sometimes you can't use a tool like you would the normal size version (ex: tightning a screw that's set in a recess...no problem with a standard screwdriver with a long shaft, but the leatherman can't get to it). I think I recall tossing it into my aviation survival kit, but I haven't seen my leatherman in a while nor have I ever wished I had it on me...

I'm the other way.  the only thing I do with a knife where I use a straight up folding or fixed knife is gutting a winged or 4 legged animal.  I carry a leatherman P4 squirt everyday and use it every day.  When I am doing a project I typically carry that little leatherman as well as an old super leatherman.  I don't view them as a replacement for real tools, but more of a way to deal with the unexpected need for a tool because I'm not packing a set of screw drivers and pliers with me all day everyday.