Author Topic: An expensive afternoon ride  (Read 5498 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
An expensive afternoon ride
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »
This afternoon I headed over to check on something in a town 70 miles away. With there being hard-packed snow and ice on a lot of roads, I didn't want to take my wife's car, so I took my beater Saturn. It's been a pretty reliable car, even though it's now 20 years old.

On the drive back, I stopped for gas at some little no-name station. When I tried to start the car, it turned over but didn't fire up. I checked wires and other stuff, and couldn't see anything wrong. It had been running just fine before I stopped for gas.

I was out in the sticks, at a gas station run by a woman who didn't speak english, and I don't really know anyone in the area except my wife. Given that I'd driven her to work this morning, and her car was at our house, she couldn't have helped me anyway.

So, I called a tow truck, then asked the driver for a recommendation for a service garage. We went to one in Huntsville, he unloaded the car, then collected $60.

The mechanic took a look at the car, hit the bottom of the gas tank with a mallet, and then started it. He turned it off, then tried again. It wouldn't start. Bad fuel pump. Cost? About $450 with labor, and they won't have it ready until tomorrow morning.

So, how to get home? I called a cab company, and they estimated $80 to get me over here to Decatur. For that, I thought, I could rent a compact car for a couple of days. So I had the cabbie take me to Enterprise car rental.

I guess the storm has increased demand for car rentals, because the cheapest rental they had (a sub-sub-compact) was $80 a day. I told the cabbie to continue on to Decatur.

I called my wife, who by that time was home, to ask if she could meet me halfway to save on cab fare. Ten seconds into the conversation I decided that it was worth paying the cabbie the full $80 rather than be harangued for a month over making her risk her life driving on these awful streets.

So, this afternoon's little ride wound up costing me $140 in transportation, an estimated $450 in repairs, and a whole lot of aggravation.

I should have just stayed home and bought a case or two of ammo instead.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: An expensive afternoon ride
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
You don't have towing insurance?  And an agent you've been with for over 45 years? 

That's one of my greatest dreads is having my car crap out in the middle of nowhere.  My agent is real good about approving tows "to the point of nearest repair."

Which is my house.

Winter is hell on cars.  Had a problem like that once with a Datsun 310GX.  Hoofed it to a bus stop, went home, and the next day I went back to check it out before I called a tow truck.  It was warmer.  It started right up and ran fine.  Problem was water in the tank freezing stuff up... whether it was in the pump or just water at the bottom of the tank, I don't know.

So now I use gas antifreeze almost any time it gets cold.

And I'll keep my insurance agent for the next 45 years.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:44:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:10:01 AM »
So, how to get home? I called a cab company, and they estimated $80 to get me over here to Decatur. For that, I thought, I could rent a compact car for a couple of days. So I had the cabbie take me to Enterprise car rental.

I guess the storm has increased demand for car rentals, because the cheapest rental they had (a sub-sub-compact) was $80 a day. I told the cabbie to continue on to Decatur.

No, that's what I payed last time I rented from Enterprise. And they're cheaper than some other places. I'm going to guess you haven't rented lately.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BMacklem

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
This afternoon I headed over to check on something in a town 70 miles away. With there being hard-packed snow and ice on a lot of roads,

be harangued for a month over making her risk her life driving on these awful streets.

I should have just stayed home and bought a case or two of ammo instead.

I thought one of the reasons you moved down there was to get away from the nasty weather?

I agree with the last line there though.
Oh and another thing, just so you can let the wife know, Alex is still doing just fine. Damned loud and obnoxious whenever I make pizza.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »
So, this afternoon's little ride wound up costing me $140 in transportation, an estimated $450 in repairs, and a whole lot of aggravation.
eh, don't feel bad. My wife recently spun our truck out and did over $5K damage to it, we just got it back finally on Monday.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
When we moved down here we had to get a new agent and insurance company because the company we were with in WI isn't licensed in AL.

I may have towing insurance, I'll have to check. We don't have fuel pump insurance. Of that I'm sure.

I'm glad to hear Alex is doing well. I'll tell my wife. And, yes, one of the reasons for moving was to get away from this. Fortunately this is a freak storm, and will likely be the only one this winter, and the winter really only lasts a couple of months (versus 5-6 for WI). At least it had better be that way.

Fistful, I just looked online at booking a Chevy Aero at Enterprise (at another location, not Huntsville) and it was $46 including all taxes. For $80 they had Buick Regal's.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
AAA memberships are $35 a year and include tows.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
I just checked and I don't have towing insurance on the Saturn, as I just have the minimum coverage.

It's been towed maybe five or six times in the 20 years I've owned it. Figure $60 a tow, and that's $360, versus $700 for AAA. Generally, if I can't figure out the problem, it's going to need to be towed to a repair shop.

At some point I'll need to get rid of this car, but I don't know if I've reached that point. Last year I had $450 for repairs, in 2008 $360 in repairs, and in 2007 $460 in repairs.

If I bought a newer used car, I'd still have repairs, and I'd have to spend more on the car.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
i've got the 200 mile tow option from AAA drive older cars far from home a lot
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »
i've got the 200 mile tow option from AAA drive older cars far from home a lot
I have something similar from AAA, but I think it is the 100 mile tow.

AAA member since 1990.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »

AAA member since 1990.

Damn, I must be getting old.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Just to note, I also carry my auto and renter's insurance with AAA, and the rates are very competitive.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »

I was 9 when you became an AAA member.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Rather coincidental that the pump went Tango Uniform right when you put gas in don't you think? Small possibility that you got it just to the point of failure by riding around with the gas empty and no fuel sloshing around to cool it, way more likely that you should never buy gas there again. I've seen bad loads of gas insta-smoke other people's fuel pumps, debris or water in them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
French G, I hadn't put gas in it yet. I was going to back up to a different pump. I also had over a quarter tank in the car, but wanted to get gas before I got into the city.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »

I was 16
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
first aaa membership in 75   first aa in 77
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »

AAA member since 1990.

AAA member since 1994.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »

It's been towed maybe five or six times in the 20 years I've owned it. Figure $60 a tow, and that's $360, versus $700 for AAA. Generally, if I can't figure out the problem, it's going to need to be towed to a repair shop.

At some point I'll need to get rid of this car, but I don't know if I've reached that point. Last year I had $450 for repairs, in 2008 $360 in repairs, and in 2007 $460 in repairs.

If I bought a newer used car, I'd still have repairs, and I'd have to spend more on the car.

You nailed my thoughts to you before i could post them. I sold my S series Saturn last summer. I had to put about  $500 in repairs in my 03 Vue last year. I think it's a lot better then a car payment.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 02:02:53 AM »
Fistful, I just looked online at booking a Chevy Aero at Enterprise (at another location, not Huntsville) and it was $46 including all taxes. For $80 they had Buick Regal's.

That's odd. I just checked online, and I'm seeing a price of less than half that (for an Aveo, if that's what you mean). I actually had to rent a car on Monday night, but Enterprise and other places were sold out (so the price didn't show up on the web site). I went with Hertz, which was over a hundred for an Aveo for one day. Of course, National is more like 250. I don't know what those folks are doing to get those kinds of prices.  :O

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
which was over a hundred for an Aveo for one day

Ouch. Did the clerk have a hook for an arm and an eye patch?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
Ouch. Did the clerk have a hook for an arm and an eye patch?

No, but he was quite unpleasant. Not going back there, again.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »

I was a retired Marine, grasshoppers.  =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee