Author Topic: Oldster test, see if you pass.  (Read 26040 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Oldster test, see if you pass.
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
My mom, late 60's.

My dad on left, mid 50's as Country & Western Comedian "Uncle Zeb"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
Ummm.  You're right Dick.  I read that 3 times and still got it wrong.  But, the clothing she's wearing matches up to old pics I have from the early 40's.  Women had one piece baggy shorts that were short like that and baggy shorts with a halter top. She does look like she's wearing a halter top and a pair of the baggy shorts.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
All 25.  And when I was a kid, we went to the drive in theatre in a 1951 Studebaker Starlight Coupe.  I was embarrassed back then that we had a "Stupidbaker", but I sure wish I had that car now.  We were t-boned by a guy in a 1949 Ford in 1957.  Bent the frame, and it was never the same.  Dad sold it and bought a 1956 Plymouth Savoy with a V8 and push button automatic, and FINS!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
Anybody remember when Studebaker made horse drawn wagons  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
It wasn't the mimeo graph paper that smelled good, it was the ink. I always thought it smelled a lot like grapes.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
Oh, I lied, I absolutely remember mimeograph paper, I think they had that at my school until they switched building when I started seventh grade in, oh, '91 or so?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
My 1976 GMC has the dimmer switch on the floor  =)

Yeah, the Natl. Guard was still using trucks of 70s or 80s vintage last I checked.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
Yup, 76 or so, that's when the foot switches went away I remember my 1970 "Gold" Duster had the foot switch.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Grampster. I'm a bit too young to know 40's fashions. ;)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
I also remember when Sears sold; handguns, rifles and shotguns, motor scooters and delivered them to your house.

The first firearm I purchased, I got from J. C. Penny's.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Dad had 22, and said, "yes, I am older then dirt and proud of it!"  :lol: mimeograph paper also got a comment... "I loved the smell of that stuff, all the kids did."

What the hell is mimeograph paper?

Go watch Animal House.  The school secretary uses one in there to grind out (literally) copies of an exam.

You had to use a special paper.

And the fumes!  Ohh, breathing that probably explains the '60s.

I remember my 1970 "Gold" Duster had the foot switch.

Oh, gosh!  I forgot about our Duster.  '74?  Likewise, had a foot switch.  That started giving up problems one dark multihundred mile midwinter drive.  Fortunately they were very easy to swap out.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:55:04 PM by lee n. field »

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 04:17:22 AM »
Monkeyleg asked,

230RN, please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm wondering how old that photo is, as your sister's dress is awfully short for any time earlier than the late 1960's.

1939-1940 ish just before the war.  Not a dress, those are shorts, or maybe a tennis skirt.  I seem to recall that in the movie "South Pacific" there are a couple of scenes where Mary Martin and the nurses wore shorts like that...

http://deanswift.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/mary-martin.jpg

Oh, yeah, I remember that ditto machine "fluid" smell.  Distributed a Ditto-ed paper to a seminar class once.  I always wondered what that fluid was.  Smelled a little like an ethyl-methyl alcholo mix, but with something else thrown in.

I also remember wrting my first program in ForTran on an IBM 1620 computer in the early 60s. Funny story about how I mistakenly sent the many, many pages of output to the console typewriter instead of the line printer... "PRINT" instead of "LPRINT."  Tied up the machine for an hour or so, but the prof said it was his fault for not telling me not to do that if we had much printout.  The console typewriter was a regular pre-Selectric, with regular type bars.  Clackety-clack.  No "monitor" on that machine.  If you wanted to see what it was doing, you looked at all the pretty lights on the console or had it type stuff out for you. 

I'm always amused when I see scenes of things like "Star Trek," where all those little lights are blinking away.  Jeeze, you'd think that by StarDate 20NN.MM.DD they would have gotten away from that. :)

http://cocomc10.pereanet.com/assets/images/IBM_1620_Model_102.jpg 

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:04:30 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
FORTRAN D, that's what I learned. So for my final I created a "do loop" series that would print out all the possible combinations for a Master Lock combination lock. Then we all went to the local university to run our final exam programs. They entered my cards and for the first time out of all the class programs that thing sat there and thought for about 3 minutes. Then it started to print, and print and print...the university guy finally looks at me and says, "What was in that program?" So I tell him and I swear he did this:  :O and ran over to shut it down. I didn't consider how much paper my little program might use.  :laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
1939-1940 ish just before the war.  Not a dress, those are shorts, or maybe a tennis skirt.  I seem to recall that in the movie "South Pacific" there are a couple of scenes where Mary Martin and the nurses wore shorts like that...

Well, in that case, nice gams. :)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
25. Wash tub wringers
Fun fact, Speed Queen just stopped making wringer washers about 5 years ago- they were/are hugely popular in the middle east and 3rd world countries.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
Yeah, the Natl. Guard was still using trucks of 70s or 80s vintage last I checked.

Good trucks  ;)

Except about 1981 they went to those aluminum chain drive transfer cases :(

I'd like to replace my 1976 2wd GMC with about the same year in 4wd.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
Fun fact, Speed Queen just stopped making wringer washers about 5 years ago- they were/are hugely popular in the middle east and 3rd world countries.

I worked for an appliance store for a few years in the '90s.  He had one model of wringer that he could get, that he kept in stock.  Hispanics would buy them.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
So that's how taco shells are made. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
So that's how taco shells are made. ;)

When she gets tired of patting them out on her thigh  :lol:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
I wonder if the wringer gets more water out than the spin cycle.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
I wonder if the wringer gets more water out than the spin cycle.

Plus, you can always download a new wringer from the internet for your washer  =D

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Yup, 76 or so, that's when the foot switches went away I remember my 1970 "Gold" Duster had the foot switch.

My dad's 1990 F250 has a foot switch for the brights.  So they made them at least up until then.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
My 95 F150 has it on the signal arm. or on another arm on the other side. Can't recall the 1990 E150 I sold a couple years ago. Maybe that one was on the floor. I'm thinking so. Didn't drive that one much at night.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
I worked for an appliance store for a few years in the '90s.  He had one model of wringer that he could get, that he kept in stock.  Hispanics would buy them.

Local hardware store still sells washboards. I think the store is around 150 years old. It's across the street from a church built in 1807.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
I also remember when Sears sold; handguns, rifles and shotguns, motor scooters and delivered them to your house.

Pfffft.

There was a time when Sears would just deliver your HOUSE. (As a kit, of course.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design