Author Topic: Granddad in the Great War  (Read 568 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
Granddad in the Great War
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
Processing photos for Mom's digital photo frame included this one, taken 12 July 1917.

(link to full sized image)

Family lore says Charles T. Malone crashed, was declared dead, and was nearly buried when someone stopped to reinsert the eye that dangled against his cheek, popped out by the impact.  Supposedly the pain of the reinsertion caused Granddad to awaken, scaring the hell out of his benefactor.  The reality may have been more prosaic.

I turned 60 the day I found the photo for the first time in memory (PLEASE!  Don't go there!)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:05:24 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Granddad in the Great War
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
I am 60 and just this summer actually got to see (and have possession of) my Dad's CCC photo album and his WWII album, medals, ribbons, etc.  When I am up to it, I will sit down and look through it.  I am hoping it brings some closure on the subject of my Dad and his part in life and in my life.

Enjoy what your Mom shares, they are likely treasures to her.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »
Granny, in a moment of dementia and anger, dumped 50-100 pounds of Granddad's uniforms, diaries ("where is the glamor in flyboys?  We spend our days breathing castor oil fumes, our nights with diarrhea.  Glamorous?") and files into the apartment building incinerator chute.  I envy you.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:28:11 AM »
I have my grandfather's officer's bag and backpack. Does that count?

[Mind, these date back to his post-war service]

(My grandfather fought in the People's Militia in the siege of Leningrad, and then served in the Soviet Air Force until his retirement).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
Nothing brings home a story like a vintage photograph or an inherited piece of militaria.  My paternal grandfather and his three brothers were all US Army officers during WWII, and my maternal grandfather was in the Polish underground.  I have yet to see any memorabilia myself, because (thank God) all of my relatives from my parent's generation are still alive.

I have no idea what they might have, only that there aren't any firearms.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!