Author Topic: I do not want civil discourse  (Read 4219 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I do not want civil discourse
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/28041

Pretty much how I feel about things.  I'm not in the mood to curtail my expression after having every name in the book thrown at me for ten years.

To quote two of the several wrds used by the post's author, "Bite me."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: I do not want civil discourse
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:41 PM »
Nice. Well done.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »

Amen.  We don't need more civil discourse, we need less.  We don't need more compromise, we need less. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
Three thumbs up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:47 PM »
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/28041

Pretty much how I feel about things.  I'm not in the mood to curtail my expression after having every name in the book thrown at me for ten years.

To quote two of the several wrds used by the post's author, "Bite me."

Damn straight. I'm ready to punch some hippies.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
There's a reason conservatives have said "Screw you" to anyone suggesting civil discourse.

They don't want civil discourse. They want us to shut up.

And although many of our elected Republicans may be cowed, normal, everyday conservatives get it. We're tired of the left's demonization and outright libels.

We're not backing down, we're not shutting up, we're not going to stop. Screw you, lefties and blood libel media.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »
Nah, I have nothing against civil discourse.  But civil discourse is, of course, as many have pointed out, not what they demand.  They don't even want the opposition to merely shut up.  They demand that the opposition cease to exist.   

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »
Civil discourse requires shared values and good faith.  Both of these are lacking in the current crisis.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »
Is a lack of civil discourse supposed to accomplish a goal that civil discourse won't accomplish?  Casting aside civil discourse will do what?  Properly ventilate one's spleen or maybe bludgeon one of the opposition into accepting the correctness of you position.  What's next should uncivil discourse fail to achieve one's objectives?

Hey, here's an idea.  Let's construct a continuum of persuasion see what this devolves into.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Amen.  We don't need more civil discourse, we need less.  We don't need more compromise, we need less. 

I don't think so.  We need more civil and rational, extensional discourse.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
I don't really have a big problem with uncivil discourse if it means more politicians say what they mean instead of hiding behind high sounding words and evasive answers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
I don't think so.  We need more civil and rational, extensional discourse.

I agree. I'm not unilaterally disarming, though.

If you want "civil discourse", convince the blood libel media and their allies to stop accusing conservatives of (1) murder, (2) wanting school children to starve, (3) wanting grandma to eat dog food, (4) lying to get us into Iraq, (5) wanting to steal grandpa's social security check, (6) wanting to bring back slavery...

I could go on and on. You want a civil discourse? Try starting somewhere else. We've had enough. If the left wants a civil discourse, they'll have to disarm first.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
(4) lying to get us into Iraq

Well, that one ....  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
An example of what I describe is the ongoing combat between Churchill and Lady Astor.  My favorite engagement:
Lady Astor:  "Winston, you are drunk"
Winston:  "Quite so, and you are ugly.  And in the morning I shall be sober."   =D
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Depends....who's defining what "civil discourse" is?.....

Me...I'm the "right/correct/logical at all costs" kind of guy....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Remember, on this here MLK day, MLK himself encouraged followers to break the law.  I'm not sure it gets any more uncivil than breaking the law to get what you want.
Civil discourse my ass.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
Casting aside civil discourse will do what? 

Save time. Civil discourse with the opposition is a distraction and a failure. They have not listened. They have not learned. They reject reason. Further talk is to no purpose. Does that mean we should call them names and bomb their campaign offices? Not at all. It just means we shouldn't waste our efforts with ineffective strategy.

But what are the bounds of "civility"? Can we discuss the true nature of the problem in a "civil" fashion? We need to understand and agree that the left is an enemy bent on destroying the nation as it is. Or at least as it was. We must stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. We must stop trusting that they will seek the good of the country, or that they will not betray our nation to other nations. When we say these things, regardless how calmly or reasonably, they are dismissed as "hate speech" or "intemperate language." So you can see that a feeling of obligation to "civility" (as they define it) is suicidal.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
John Adams once called Alexander Hamilton "The bastard brat of a Scotch pedlar".

I think we can call someone like Chuck Schumer a headline-grubbing whore and still remain within the bounds of Adam's level of civility. ;)

Name-calling is just a pointless exercise that makes you feel good for a minute. We need to have people like Boehner get in front of the cameras and expose the Democrat lies as soon as they're uttered. When a Barney Frank is getting preferential treatment, he should be called out on it.

This business of unilateral disarmament on the part of Republicans isn't working.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
John Adams once called Alexander Hamilton "The bastard brat of a Scotch pedlar".

Don't forget that Hamilton died in a duel with a political opponent. I'm pretty sure that so long as we don't have politicians fighting pistol duels, we're well within the bounds of behavior for that particular period...

Though I, for one, would love to see dueling make a comeback amongst politicians.  They could put the fights on Pay-Per-View and use the proceeds to pay down the national debt...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
what we need is for stupid to hurt, BAD. and not stop hurting, 'till the stupid has stopped frothing forth, ............. [barf]

last line removed, i'm sure everyone knows what it said.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
Don't forget that Hamilton died in a duel with a political opponent. I'm pretty sure that so long as we don't have politicians fighting pistol duels, we're well within the bounds of behavior for that particular period...

Though I, for one, would love to see dueling make a comeback amongst politicians.  They could put the fights on Pay-Per-View and use the proceeds to pay down the national debt...

=D

Reid vs. McCain...

I'd pay to watch that.  Then I'd pay to reanimate the corpse of the loser so it can finish off the winner!

;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
We don't need debate, discourse, or name-calling. We need organization and militancy.  We need mass demonstrations, shows of political power.  We can take some cues from MLK.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
We don't need debate, discourse, or name-calling. We need organization and militancy.  We need mass demonstrations, shows of political power. 

Yeah, something like that. Those who disagree need to be voted down and shouted down. Trying to talk sense into the anti-sense party is not a viable solution. We have tried that.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
For years, the left has controlled the discourse, by shouting down the right.  Then, along comes the Tea Party, pissed off and shouting down the left.
This is nothing but a power grab by the right, an attempt to silence the right's attempt at stealing the left's own tactics.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”