Author Topic: Another sell out. Lugar calls for Assault Weapons Ban  (Read 2338 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Another sell out. Lugar calls for Assault Weapons Ban
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0111/Lugar_pushes_to_renew_assault_weapons_ban.html

Lugar is the first GOP senator to call for increased gun control following the Tucson tragedy that killed six people and wounded 13 others, including Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. But Lugar, who supported the initial 10-year-long assault weapons ban when it passed in 1994, said he's not optimistic about the chances for passing gun control legislation this Congress.

“I believe it should be, but I recognize the fact that the politics domestically in our country with regard to this are on a different track altogether,” Lugar told Bloomberg Television’s Al Hunt Jan. 14.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Another sell out. Lugar calls for Assault Weapons Ban
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »
Lugar cannot sell out, he's never been 'one of us' in the first place.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »

Your right. Still pisses me off.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

Yeah, he's just staying true to his earlier position on the AWB. Big surprise.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
Once a RINO, still a RINO.  [barf]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:34:12 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
Once a RINO, still a RINO.  [barf]

One more political target to deal with, next election cycle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
True that.

His term ends in 2012, and this will be his last.  We're already working on it.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
The Brady bunch is calling in their markers
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
One more political target to deal with, next election cycle.

That is hatespeech. You should be silenced, and replaced with a kinder, gentler left-wing-commentator.  How dare you incite people to violence? :P
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
That is hatespeech. You should be silenced, and replaced with a kinder, gentler left-wing-commentator.  How dare you incite people to violence? :P

It's okay, I hate myself, too.  Obama told me I was a bitterclinger.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
What, are you trying to put him in the crosshairs?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
I guess the fact that no assault weapon was used in this crime doesn't matter much.  I guess the term has morphed into any gun with a high capacity magazine. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
Ten bucks says a strategist told him he should go after guns more aggressively because of his name.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
Ten bucks says a strategist told him he should go after guns more aggressively because of his name.

Lugar =/=Luger       But it's close. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
Lugar =/=Luger       But it's close. 

...because I'm sure that people who vote for politicians like him can read well enough to discern between those two  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
...because I'm sure that people who vote for politicians like him can read well enough to discern between those two  =D
Actually, people who vote for politicians like him have likely never heard of "Luger".
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:38:49 PM »
You'd be surprised how many people see a Ruger .22 and will call it a Luger.

I'd say it enjoys the same sort of ignorant popularity the term ".45 colt" does.